Cost of Living

Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:31 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Austin Allegro
Rural Hungary, did you know you can use skype to make landline calls? You just have to pay a bit of credit in advance and you get charged local rates. You can also set yourself up with a UK phone number, and you can choose from a variety of exchanges, so you can set one up in the town where most of your friends/relations live. I use this for business calls to/from the UK and it works very well.
Hi Austin, yes I buy skype credit but unfortunately, the people I call most often do not have landlines so the monthly package is no good to me though it still works out cheaper than phoning them from the landline here! Or perhaps it's just that I can see how much the call is costing so spend less time chatting

One thing that's supposed to be much cheaper here is tailor made clothing and hand made shoes. I haven't bought any yet, but for my next business clothing purchase I'm definitely checking them out. Hungarian cobblers are much cheaper for repairs as well here, as are most repair places. Barbers seem to be a lot cheaper too. In fact any price that's based largely on labour cost or property cost seems to be less here.
Having never had anything tailor made in my life, I can't comment but would be interested to hear how you get on.

Decent shoes and boots I find very expensive here though now that you mention it - last year at the St Stephens day craft fair in Budapest - there were a couple of stalls selling what must have been handmade shoes and boots, not a great range of styles, very well made though quite basic but they were cheaper than anything I had seen in our local shoe shops. Might see if I can find some websites.
Agree that barbers and hairdressers are far less expensive in the UK as is our children's fencing club, riding lessons and the like.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:33 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Rural Hungary, did you know you can use skype to make landline calls? You just have to pay a bit of credit in advance and you get charged local rates. You can also set yourself up with a UK phone number, and you can choose from a variety of exchanges, so you can set one up in the town where most of your friends/relations live. I use this for business calls to/from the UK and it works very well.

One thing that's supposed to be much cheaper here is tailor made clothing and hand made shoes. I haven't bought any yet, but for my next business clothing purchase I'm definitely checking them out. Hungarian cobblers are much cheaper for repairs as well here, as are most repair places. Barbers seem to be a lot cheaper too. In fact any price that's based largely on labour cost or property cost seems to be less here.
I can confirm mens haircuts are 800ft near me and womens wash and blow dry is 1800ft
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

tomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

in Budapest you can find lot of tailors and get hand made shoes, both for women and men alike. There are also several shoe designers from whom you can order pretty extravagant one off shoes...

For the suits, of course the price depends quite lot on the fabric (top of the line italian fabric is never cheap) but the price/quality ration is extremely good.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Austin Allegro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary

Having never had anything tailor made in my life, I can't comment but would be interested to hear how you get on.

I'm not a standard size so most shops don't sell suits and jackets that fit me. A few years ago I took the plunge and got a bespoke suit cut by a backstreet tailor in London. A friend told me once you've done it you never go back to 'off the peg' and it's true - the suit is as comfortable as wearing jeans and a pullover, if not more so. My girlfriend has a Hungarian dressmaker/ladies' tailor who has made her some very nice suits and dresses. My girlfriend earns an average salary by Hungarian standards so it must be quite affordable.

I've never tried handmade shoes because they're always so expensive (at least £2000 from Lobb of St James) and a friend who wears them says not to bother unless you have odd shaped feet. I'm still tempted though!
Old May 22nd 2013, 4:28 am
Just Joined

stringerbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living Question

I am exploring a job option and was wondering whether one can survive on the salary in Budapest...

Salary would be £300 after tax with my accommodation and utilities included...I'll likely have a couple of hundred extra spare a month...so £500 altogether...

Is this a livable salary?...I don't have lavish tastes...as long as I can cover my food, drink a little and be able to go out on weekends then I'm good...

Thanks...