British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Corruption! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/corruption-937211/)

FenTiger Feb 19th 2021 5:53 pm

Corruption!

I'm beginning to think the mayor in my village is corrupt! We made enquiries about a plot of land further down the hill. It seemed the only buildable part was a very slim stretch of land. We made enquires on another area where there must be probably enough plots for 20-30 houses but mayor is blocking it for some reason. He supposedly owns the "road" or part of the land! Malyi-To has been ruined with "Wellness" apartments built around the most popular area for those of a low income!
I'm beginning to understand why husband of sister-in-law mentioned alot of problems on one road where we considered buying a house. The mayor lives on that road!
Jeez, worst case scenario I'm going to have to break the news to my wife we are not buying a house in this village with a corrupt mayor. I've already dropped hints. But should I back down? Don't think I can because I've always had to fight to get my way..... watch this space .....

Jack_Russells4ever Feb 19th 2021 6:02 pm

Re: Corruption!

Welcome to life in Hungary. ALL politicians are corrupt, some just more than others. I would venture to say your nose is correct in smelling a giant rat. Unfortunately political corruption knows no boundaries in our world. I wouldn't take it personal if I were you. Best bet is keep looking , your dream property is out there you just have to keep looking.

FenTiger Feb 19th 2021 7:55 pm

The plot of land we are looking at doesn't require an access road because we can build a bridge over the culvert from the road. I'm actually thinking of buying three plots and selling the furthest when we're too old to look after it and then the next bit. Dunno if it's worth the risk. According to sister-in-law there's some litigation going on against the mayor as these plots were put up for sale and now there's issues about an access road. As mentioned the plots I'm interested in don't need an access road to reach them. Or best to concentrate on just one plot and use my funds for the other two plots for something else!
The "Wellness" apartments have been empty for a while due to the coronavirus situation. Hope the owners are not milking the state from losses! That would be a kick in the teeth for the locals on low incomes.
Anyway, I'm hoping we might meet an estate agent tomorrow to find out more.
No wonder Hungarians drink alot of palinka!

wolfi Feb 20th 2021 9:28 am

Corruption ...
A bit OT:
May have told the story before how I became interested in Hungary. I never went to any "communist" country again after an unpleasant experience in the 1970s, only to Yugoslavia where people were really friendly.
But in 1996 my sister and her English husband invited me to Budapest. He was doing a three year in finance checking for one of the big global players and like his colleagues he was sent to another country every 2 - 3 years, so later he went to Oman, Ghana, ...
He told me he would never return to Hungary because of the corruption though my sister visited us often at the Balaton.
It took him almost 25 years - in summer 2019 they stayed again in Bp for a week - she went to the dentist where she had got new teeth 20 years ago, much better and cheaper than in London.

So I'd advice anyone to get info from the locals and be very, very careful.

Sachina Feb 20th 2021 10:35 am

My advice is to be extremely circumspect in airing your views particularly over contentious subjects such as corruption in the very place one's hoping to live. Never forget, irrespective of how many times you've visited, you're still a foreigner and an outsider and for the most part such views won't be welcomed by the local population even though some might privately agree with you. You're no longer living in a large town in the UK but what is not much more than a village by comparison and being a newcomer and therefore a bit of a novelty your every word and action will noted and analysed and could be held against you for years to come.

scrubbedexpat142 Feb 20th 2021 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 12975568)
My advice is to be extremely circumspect in airing your views particularly over contentious subjects such as corruption in the very place one's hoping to live. Never forget, irrespective of how many times you've visited, you're still a foreigner and an outsider and for the most part such views won't be welcomed by the local population even though some might privately agree with you. You're no longer living in a large town in the UK but what is not much more than a village by comparison and being a newcomer and therefore a bit of a novelty your every word and action will noted and analysed and could be held against you for years to come.

Very true!

Peter_in_Hungary Feb 20th 2021 10:41 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12975400)
The plot of land we are looking at doesn't require an access road because we can build a bridge over the culvert from the road. I'm actually thinking of buying three plots and selling the furthest when we're too old to look after it and then the next bit. Dunno if it's worth the risk. According to sister-in-law there's some litigation going on against the mayor as these plots were put up for sale and now there's issues about an access road. As mentioned the plots I'm interested in don't need an access road to reach them. Or best to concentrate on just one plot and use my funds for the other two plots for something else!
The "Wellness" apartments have been empty for a while due to the coronavirus situation. Hope the owners are not milking the state from losses! That would be a kick in the teeth for the locals on low incomes.
Anyway, I'm hoping we might meet an estate agent tomorrow to find out more.
No wonder Hungarians drink alot of palinka!

Under Hungarian law every plot of land is entitled to and must have access to a public road. The law also states that what is registered in the Land Office is taken as fact. So each of the 3 plots you mention will have a legal access to a public highway and if this involves going across someone elses land then there will be a legally enforceable Right Of Way across that land.

Look at the maps held in Land Office to see where/how the access is provided

Look in the local village plan (Rendezési Terv) available in the local council office to see what development is planned or allowed in the village and if these plots or the the area is mentioned. If the plots or the area are not mentioned for development then planning permission could be difficult and/or expensive. Mention of the plots in the village plan doesn't guarantee planning permission but it certainly makes it much much easier.

Is there any infrastructure available on the plots? If the plots are within the village boundary (internal to the village) then the plots will be legally entitled to any missing infrastructure (gas, electricity, water, drains and phone) at a reasonable cost. If the plots are external to the village boundary then any missing infrastructure could be very expensive or even refused.

Buying property in Hungary is a 'buyer beware' exercise and buyers are expected to do their own searches. The solicitor or estate agent won't do them for you and estate agents have little or no liability for what they tell you.

hobgoblins Feb 20th 2021 3:18 pm

Very true ! A couple of years ago, an elderly villager was questioning me at the village bus stop as to why I was using the bus and not my car anymore ... I did my best to explain with hand gestures and Google translate that the car test certificate ( MOT ) had expired and I could no longer legally drive it as the police would not be happy if I did so. Less than four hours later upon my return from town, my neighbour told me that word in the village was that the police had stopped me for drink driving and had confiscated my licence !! Fortunately my neighbour quickly put them right and explained why I was no longer using my car ... village life eh !!

FenTiger Feb 21st 2021 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12975570)
Under Hungarian law every plot of land is entitled to and must have access to a public road. The law also states that what is registered in the Land Office is taken as fact. So each of the 3 plots you mention will have a legal access to a public highway and if this involves going across someone elses land then there will be a legally enforceable Right Of Way across that land.

Look at the maps held in Land Office to see where/how the access is provided

Look in the local village plan (Rendezési Terv) available in the local council office to see what development is planned or allowed in the village and if these plots or the the area is mentioned. If the plots or the area are not mentioned for development then planning permission could be difficult and/or expensive. Mention of the plots in the village plan doesn't guarantee planning permission but it certainly makes it much much easier.

Is there any infrastructure available on the plots? If the plots are within the village boundary (internal to the village) then the plots will be legally entitled to any missing infrastructure (gas, electricity, water, drains and phone) at a reasonable cost. If the plots are external to the village boundary then any missing infrastructure could be very expensive or even refused.

Buying property in Hungary is a 'buyer beware' exercise and buyers are expected to do their own searches. The solicitor or estate agent won't do them for you and estate agents have little or no liability for what they tell you.

I have checked the Rendezesi terv and it includes plots, roads, etc. but people who have bought plots are having to take legal action. I do not know the specifics and Ingatlan have informed us they are not selling any more of those plots for obvious reasons.

FenTiger Feb 21st 2021 8:33 am

I understand what you're saying as well as the others who have agreed with you. I'm not saying that corruption doesn't happen anywhere else in the world.
I'm very much the sort of person who has bouts of hot headedness and should learn to keep his trap shut! If I came in tin form the label would say 'Does what it says on the tin'!
I never expected life here to go smooth and there would be some bumpy rides.
My Hungarian wife was a foreigner in the UK for 31 years and didn't have an easy life. I moved here so she could be near her best friend and other friends who kept in touch with her after she moved to the UK. They never held it against her. They envied her more like but honestly she didn't have it easy because she was a foreigner missing out on a couple of jobs because she wasn't part of a certain network of friends and acquaintances!

scot47 Feb 21st 2021 8:50 am

See it from a local perspective. Their spin - " A rich foreigner shows up and tries to tell us how to do things !" I know how locals would react in a Scottish village or small town.

FenTiger Feb 21st 2021 9:03 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12975859)
See it from a local perspective. Their spin - " A rich foreigner shows up and tries to tell us how to do things !" I know how locals would react in a Scottish village or small town.

Either way a Brit can't win in anything they do or say, even in the UK!

​​​​​​

FenTiger Feb 21st 2021 9:23 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12975859)

I experienced that kind of thing when I lived in the UK. I wasn't local and my wife was a foreigner. Most people living in the town were born and bred in that town.

Sachina Feb 21st 2021 10:33 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12975861)
Either way a Brit can't win in anything they do or say, even in the UK!

​​​​​​

Why are you assuming the "rich foreigners" mentioned by scot47 are British?

scrubbedexpat142 Feb 21st 2021 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 12975878)
Why are you assuming the "rich foreigners" mentioned by scot47 are British?

I have a feeling you already know the answer to that one! :lol: