Coronavirus

Old Oct 9th 2020, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus

I was there on Saturday, you can travel freely, most shops/businesses are open, you just need to wear a mask in most places, shops, trains, buses etc.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecurb
I was there on Saturday, you can travel freely, most shops/businesses are open, you just need to wear a mask in most places, shops, trains, buses etc.
Thanks. I might end up not going to Budapest. The car I'm viewing is a Skoda Karoq but it's not my wife's first choice and she prefers a Seat Arona which we hired a couple of weeks ago. So I'm enquiring locally to see whether there are any in stock or the wait is not too long.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

That is interesting, I think they are both from the same manufacturing group VW so they are probably very similar mechanically. I just bought a Hyundai Kona which is also a mid sized SUV type vehicle. We went to a dealer and asked about availability, for a factory order it was about 3 months but luckily when they checked they had one that was being delivered that matched our requirements so we only had to wait 10 days.

Last edited by ecurb; Oct 9th 2020 at 2:14 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 9th 2020, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecurb
That is interesting, I think they are both from the same manufacturing group VW so they are probably very similar mechanically. I just bought a Hyundai Kona which is also a mid sized SUV type vehicle. We went to a dealer and asked about availability, for a factory order it was about 3 months but luckily when they checked they had one that was being delivered that matched our requirements so we only had to wait 10 days.
Yes, Skoda and Seat are under the VW group.

The Skoda Kamiq is about the same size as the Seat Arona. Both have the same sized boot with seats up but when down the Skoda Kamiq has a bigger luggage capacity with 1,395 litres whilst Seat Arona is only 823 litres! The Skoda Koraq (521 boot litres, 1630 litres seats down) is much bigger than both but much much smaller than the Skoda Kodiaq, which can be a 5 or 7 seater! The Skoda Kodiaq has a 630 litres boot and with seats down 2,065 litres luggage capacity. Interestingly, the Hyundai Kona has a boot of 361 litres and with seats folded flat (?) 1,143 litres of luggage capacity. That's more than both the Seat Arona and Skoda Kamiq! I prefer my cars to have rear seats which fold completely flat. On Seat Arona they don't, not sure about Skoda Kamiq, Karoq or Kodiaq. On one of my previous cars a Ford Focus Estate (Kombi to Hungarians) the seats folded flat!

I opted for the Seat Arona because my wife said to me today she had fallen in love with it when we hired it! As much as I would like a much bigger car, 4WD preferably, 130-150 BHP, I decided I had to on this occasion let her preference take precedence! Mind you the Seat Arona I have been looking at has a higher spec than the one we hired, with a bit more BHP. My wife's driving licence will expire in two years time and if she decides to stop driving then I will sell the Seat Arona and go for what I really want!

Should the local Seat dealers not have any Seat Aronas then I'm heading to Budapest to view the Skoda Karoq. It won't be a 4WD but hey, I see alot of cars on the road which aren't 4WD so if they can manage so can I. It's just that from my personal experience of visiting some places around Hungary a 4WD with more BHP would have been better to get us up to the top of where we wanted to go and handle rough roads!

I looked at Suzuki Vitara and originally I was told that the model I wanted (2WD Hybrid) wasn't available but then they came back to me to say they could source it! I also looked at Dacia Duster but the height of the bonnet seemed much higher than I expected and got put off. Also Renault Captur. That car, if I remember correctly from what I read, has a rear seat bench which can be moved various ways to increase the boot/luggage capacity. Of course it means the leg room space for the rear passengers reduces but gives interesting combinations of making the most of what it can offer. The best options for luggage space seems to be the cars which have rear seat split 60:40.

It's been a massive headache for me in choosing which car to buy because I know exactly what I want and from the experience of the cars I've owned in the past wanted to get it right. I actually created an excel spreadsheet of the different makes/models with boot space, rear seats folded flat or nearly flat, length, width and height of car, etc. One reason for the width is that the width of garages for some houses are too small for modern cars, especially today's chunky SUVs! As to BHP, for me, it has to be atleast 115 BHP and I'm not keen on small engines, i.e. 1.0 litre! but as mentioned above I'm letting my wife's choice take precedence! The spec I have chosen has 110 BHP so that's just 5 BHP less!

My last three cars starting from the last one were: Vauxhall Zafira Energy 1.6 115 BHP, Ford Focus Estate 1.6 (BHP 95-105??), and Ford Fiesta (BHP )! The reason I upgraded was because when my wife's family went to England to visit us .... my Ford Fiesta just could not handle the pick ups or drop offs at the airport!

Last edited by FenTiger; Oct 9th 2020 at 3:36 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Honda CR-V Hybrid, it has the Honda magic seats which lay completely flat and gives you 1,700 litres of space in the back.

You really can't go wrong with one of these.

Old Oct 10th 2020, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 4 wheel drive and you don't realise how much difference it makes until it isn't there. I lost the front drive a couple of years ago and the difference off tat-mac was instantly noticeable. It isn't that I have lots of HP (land rover 2 ton unladen and107hp ) but even so - big difference.
In the winter 4 wheel drive helps you get going and keeps you going and also helps with engine breaking - but has no effect when using the brakes.
So far I have never needed snow chains, in fact i don't own any.

By the way it is probably best to move this discussion away from the Coronavirus thread to one of its own !!
Old Nov 9th 2020, 10:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Latest regs proposed from Tuesday, key points -

Hungarian borders remain closed. There will be a curfew between 8 pm and 5 am, only those going to work and those coming from work will be exempted, and such proof can be given in special cases. Restaurants close, only delivery available. Factory canteens can stay open. Shops, hairdressers, small craft service providers close at 7 pm. Leisure facilities will be closed, including zoos, museums, theaters, gyms and indoor swimming pools. All sports events: closed gates. All gatherings are forbidden: no gatherings & offical events. Hotels only for business travelers. Private (family) gatherings max 10 people. Weddings, only parents, siblings or witnesses can attend civil and church ceremonies. Funerals max. 50 people. Higher education only online, campus will also be closed. Digital education in high school; kindergardens, schools open for children under 14. Hospital workers, nursery, kindergarten and school workers tested every week.
Old Nov 9th 2020, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Saw the latest lockdown rules earlier this afternoon on a FB Hungary British Expats Group. One or two mentioned the rules seem draconian but I think they are less severe than UK's lockdown rules. I'm not too sure what to think of the curfew starting at 8pm. Seems a pretty early time to start the curfew but I suppose it will make it easier for the rendorseg to do their jobs! Atleast we are both usually at home before that time and rarely pop out after that time now that summer is over and it's dark from 5pm!
Old Nov 9th 2020, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly a lot less stringent than in some European countries wherein a justification has to be provided everytime you step out of the door!
Old Nov 9th 2020, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

No mention of bars yet but I am guessing they will be closed down again ....
Old Nov 9th 2020, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

While we cannot / must not be complacent I think we can take some consolation from the following published figures for deaths, as follows -

Hungary: 254 / million.
EU27/EEA: 432 / million.
UK: 732 / million.
Old Nov 9th 2020, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
While we cannot / must not be complacent I think we can take some consolation from the following published figures for deaths, as follows -

Hungary: 254 / million.
EU27/EEA: 432 / million.
UK: 732 / million.
It's obvious the Hungarians can teach the rest of the EU & UK a thing or two about adhering to rules! I think you all can read between the lines.
Old Nov 9th 2020, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
No mention of bars yet but I am guessing they will be closed down again ....
The biggie might be if they close the dohány nemzeti (spelling?) earlier and the bar regulars hadn't planned for it.

8pm curfew - as it's very dark and junction crossing lighting is pretty poor it's a lot safer for pedestrians to be at home rather than crossing these poorly lit crossings! I had a near miss the other evening. This idiot cut across the other side of the road when turning left trying to beat the oncoming traffic. I'd left my 'Dirty Hungarian' book at home so couldn't fire off some swear words!
Old Nov 9th 2020, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FenTiger
The biggie might be if they close the dohány nemzeti (spelling?) earlier and the bar regulars hadn't planned for it.
My regular Nemzeti dohánybolt, which is usually open 24/7, announced last week that they would be shutting early evening, as they did in early March, even before the regs demanded it. Actually I was quite impressed with them, theirs was the first business I saw to set up plastic screens.
Old Nov 9th 2020, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
My regular Nemzeti dohánybolt, which is usually open 24/7, announced last week that they would be shutting early evening, as they did in early March, even before the regs demanded it. Actually I was quite impressed with them, theirs was the first business I saw to set up plastic screens.
Open 24/7.... can't imagine one here in Mályi being open 24/7. Sure in UK the petrol station around the corner was open 24/7 and also sold booze 24/7!

Atleast we try to plan ahead here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.