Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Cooking in Hungary

Cooking in Hungary

Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:40 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking in Hungary

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I don't buy much tinned food as I don't really know what I'm buying. This evening I opened a tin of "pacalpörkölt csülökhússal". I knew it would be stew with meat of some sort but the meat turns out to be tripe!
Enjoy, we're having roast lamb tonight Sorry... couldn't resist!
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Enjoy, we're having roast lamb tonight Sorry... couldn't resist!
I think that should read Slovene Roast Lamb!!
Old Sep 15th 2012, 6:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
I think that should read Slovene Roast Lamb!!
Just PM'd you. Quite an adventure by all accounts
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy much tinned food as I don't really know what I'm buying. This evening I opened a tin of "pacalpörkölt csülökhússal". I knew it would be stew with meat of some sort but the meat turns out to be tripe!
"pacal" That's the word to be afraid of...very afraid
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Pacal is Tripe and yes your tight it is pretty scary
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Mushrooms After the long hot dry summer and a dearth of wild fungi today the meadows are full of field mushrooms,so guess whats for lunch today!Hopefully after last nights heavy rain,there will be goodies in the forest too!! Are there plenty in Hungary?Do we have any mushrooms hunters?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:41 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Mushrooms After the long hot dry summer and a dearth of wild fungi today the meadows are full of field mushrooms,so guess whats for lunch today!Hopefully after last nights heavy rain,there will be goodies in the forest too!! Are there plenty in Hungary?Do we have any mushrooms hunters?
Plenty of locals collect them and sell them door to door. Must admit, even though I love mushrooms, I am terrified of buying them or collecting them myself in case I inadvertently poison us all!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Start with the ones that are easy to recognize ie, field mushrooms,ceps,chantarelles,horn of plenty,parasols etc,above all get a really good book and talk to the locals who have been collecting all thier lives, it such a treat at this time of year and when dried a great addition to soups during the winter!Once you start collecting you will find it hard to stop!!!!!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:55 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Start with the ones that are easy to recognize ie, field mushrooms,ceps,chantarelles,horn of plenty,parasols etc,above all get a really good book and talk to the locals who have been collecting all thier lives, it such a treat at this time of year and when dried a great addition to soups during the winter!Once you start collecting you will find it hard to stop!!!!!
Believe it or not, I have had a really good book for over 10 years and looked online but still not confident enough to give it a try! I would love to find some ceps though so might give it a go this year. We had the most delicious pork dish with ceps in Poland and would love to try and recreate that intense smokey flavour. Are ceps quite common?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

They are here and i would assume so there as conditions must be very similar,I found one very large one this a.m,but very waterlogged and wormy,hoping for more luck when i go dog walking in the big forest this afternoon!You really must give it a go!Always use a basket so the spores can be spread as you walk,never a plastic bag as they sweat and get damaged very quick.If its something you are not sure about,just leave it to grow and move on,or be sure to have a couple of brown paper bags with you,pop one in and identify it when u get home.P.s if you do not have a mushroom collecting basket,see me as these are my favorite baskets to make!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I am just cooking some mushrooms out of my garden. These look exactly like the ones in the shops so I think they are OK but I also put an onion in with them and it didn't change colour:

http://www.gardenherbs.org/simples/mushrooms.htm
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:42 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I am just cooking some mushrooms out of my garden. These look exactly like the ones in the shops so I think they are OK but I also put an onion in with them and it didn't change colour:

http://www.gardenherbs.org/simples/mushrooms.htm
Be careful as an young death cap can look like a button mushrooms - I'm sure they'll be okay but if not 100% then I wouldn't chance it!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

While caution is to be reccomended,it is far more likey that field mushrooms( like you would buy in Tescos,but with real taste)will be growing in the grass in your garden rather than a death cap which like,s forest growing conditions.But as Rural says,if you have doubts then leave them,but i would suggest picking a couple and visiting your nieghbours and getting thier opinion,there is usually a local expert close at hand!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

P.S, we had the most delicious mushroom soup for supper last night,field to pan to table in a very short time!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, apparently death caps only grow under trees, because they need to interact with tree roots. The ones I picked were not under trees. It is a bit scary to read that you don't feel any symptoms for about 2 days though. To be honest, my mushrooms were not that tasty although they did smell good. They had about as much flavour as shop ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.