Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Not getting your change in a store...

Not getting your change in a store...

Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

123Emily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not getting your change in a store...

Why dont Hungarians always give me my change.

I know that it is normal to not bother with 5huf and not to be upset if they dont give you your change.

But a few small stores I visit like last night at the petrol station, I spent 1,935huf and paid with 2,000huf. The guy gave me a weird look and never gave me my 65huf change.

I only speak a little Hungarian and I cant ask for my change. The money does not matter, but I cant help get the impression that he was testing me. This is about the 3rd time this has happened.

I was wondering if I am been paranoid or petty?
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not getting your change in a store...

Happens quite a lot in Europe - Italy especially. It's a way to get more money.

One is especially susceptible if a tourist. However, if you are able to forcefully ask for your change its forthcoming.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Awww. I see, I think I need to learn "can I have my change please" bloody cheeky sods! Explains the strange look he gave me. Could of at least given me service with a smile, I dont think I would of minded as much.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Alcogod is an unknown quantity at this point

I always thought this level of pathetic was only on tv and in books. This is relative to waiting for your penny change from a 99p purchase with a £1 coin.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

LOL those pennies add up!
Its not a penny is 65huf - thats 17p!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

With the 5 forint scenario, this is because they no longer have a 1 and 2 forint coin; so when you are charged 137 and give 140, they will keep the 3 forints. And if you are charged 151 and give 155, they will more than likely just take the 150....so you gain 1 forint

65 forints is currently around 0.18 pence, so to wait for 0.18 pence back in the context of the amount already spent is a bit sad. I know every penny (forint) counts, and it could of got you a DROP more petrol, but waiting for 0.18 pence.....

I'm just wandering what you would of done with the 65 forints if you were to get it back I feel sorry for you, you must of been so furious and had a nightmare or two. I've heard it can be a traumatic experience......especially if you then have to forcefully ask for your 65 forints back.

If I was a judge I would of thrown this thread off the forum.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never experienced this, but perhaps I don't check my change carefully enough.

I've very often experienced the reverse though – I've said a rounded-up amount and I've still been given my full change.

A couple of years ago in Szombathely, two of us bought ice-creams for huf 200 each, and when the seller heard us speaking German, she said "vier tausend". Now that's worth getting annoyed about...
Old Feb 26th 2017, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

In the UK they always give you your change esp if is 17p!
I dont care about 17p
I just wanted to know WHY I wasn't getting my 17p, as if I was in Sainsburys they ALWAYS give you your 17p.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never experienced this myself. Aside from the rounding up or down due to the lack of 1 and 2 Forint coins (though I can't understand why they don't change the prices to take this into account).

I have heard of it happening but for some reason never to me......
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Happens here a lot. 5 and 10 centavo coins are rare beasts so unless your bill comes to something and 25,50 or 75 centavos its rounded up or down. For example 1105.36 becomes 1105, and 1105.76 becomes 1106. It's such a small amount most people don't bother.If the shop has no 25 centavo coins - as happens - then up to 50 centavos it's rounded down, over 50 centavos it's rounded up. The government is running a "we give correct change " scenario, but until the supply of 5 and 10 centavo coins improves nothing will change. Some of the local stores give sweets to make up the balance.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait, wait, I got it Dude, I got it...

Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:53 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
With the 5 forint scenario, this is because they no longer have a 1 and 2 forint coin; so when you are charged 137 and give 140, they will keep the 3 forints. And if you are charged 151 and give 155, they will more than likely just take the 150....so you gain 1 forint

65 forints is currently around 0.18 pence, so to wait for 0.18 pence back in the context of the amount already spent is a bit sad. I know every penny (forint) counts, and it could of got you a DROP more petrol, but waiting for 0.18 pence.....

I'm just wandering what you would of done with the 65 forints if you were to get it back I feel sorry for you, you must of been so furious and had a nightmare or two. I've heard it can be a traumatic experience......especially if you then have to forcefully ask for your 65 forints back.

If I was a judge I would of thrown this thread off the forum.
That's very mean and not helpful at all.
I live in Italy and I wait for my change and expect to get it given to me.
It's more understandable if the lady in one of the smaller shops explains to me that she doesn't have the correct change rather than just presuming that I'm not interested in it.
10 cents or 20 cents is my money and even though it won't make me bankrupt, those coins will buy my kids a few sweets or a lollipop.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

I was being sarcastic about the fact that someone would even come on a forum to complain about not getting 17p back. Is it really that much to worry about?....to the point you come on a forum to get a decision on whether or not you are "being ripped off by 17p". Most people would just ignore the shop(s) that did it and never visit them again, spread the word that that particular shop is a rip-off, complain to the shopkeeper and so on, if it bothered them that much.....but to come on a forum about it......

Also, it is tarnishing the good name of Hungarians - "Why dont Hungarians always give me my change.".

The petrol station worker might of genuinely forget, might of thought the OP was leaving the shop already (i.e. was in a rush or forgot about the change whereby they (the petrol station worker) thought it is too late to shout back "you have forgotten your change" perhaps because they could not leave the counter to go onto the courtyard, etc etc. In other words, the OP has not exactly explained the true context of the story. So to make a bold statement like "Why dont Hungarians always give me my change." could also be classed as mean; depending on your interpretation of that statement.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the OP's comments - I think I need to learn "can I have my change please" bloody cheeky sods! - although being said in jest (as a joke) could be interpretted as offensive and mean.

Last edited by Szeged; Feb 27th 2017 at 10:58 am. Reason: Need to add more information
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Hungary for nearly 10 years now and have never had a problem in any shop.

I often order goods online which are paid for COD on delivery and if I don't have the correct amount of cash, I round it up to the nearest 100 ft and tell them to keep the change. On the other hand if I had say only a 10 000 ft to pay for goods costing around 8 000 ft, I would expect to be given the change without having to ask for it!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:30 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
I was being sarcastic about the fact that someone would even come on a forum to complain about not getting 17p back. Is it really that much to worry about?....to the point you come on a forum to get a decision on whether or not you are "being ripped off by 17p". Most people would just ignore the shop(s) that did it and never visit them again, spread the word that that particular shop is a rip-off, complain to the shopkeeper and so on, if it bothered them that much.....but to come on a forum about it......

Also, it is tarnishing the good name of Hungarians - "Why dont Hungarians always give me my change.".

The petrol station worker might of genuinely forget, might of thought the OP was leaving the shop already (i.e. was in a rush or forgot about the change whereby they (the petrol station worker) thought it is too late to shout back "you have forgotten your change" perhaps because they could not leave the counter to go onto the courtyard, etc etc. In other words, the OP has not exactly explained the true context of the story. So to make a bold statement like "Why dont Hungarians always give me my change." could also be classed as mean; depending on your interpretation of that statement.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the OP's comments - I think I need to learn "can I have my change please" bloody cheeky sods! - although being said in jest (as a joke) could be interpretted as offensive and mean.
Sarcasm or not, your post did nothing to help a new forum member.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.