Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Homeschooling in Hungary

Homeschooling in Hungary

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

alanferguson32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homeschooling in Hungary

I am planning to move to Hungary within the next year. And I'm looking into how homeschooling works in the country. It seems as though we need to seek permission to homeschool and that we would still need to enrol our child for exams each year. Is this still the case? It does seem more restrictive than it is here in the UK.

Specifically we're thinking of moving to Eger or Balaton.

If you can shed any light on how we can practice HE in Hungary, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you for your time in reading this.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeschooling in Hungary

I've had a chat with someone who home schools here.
Basically there are 3 options
1 An international school - essentially a private school, fee paying, which is outside the Hungarian state education system and usually award qualifications outside the Hungarian state system. Usually the schools use English as the teaching language. These schools are typically based in Budapest and you would have to ask them if they support HT.

2 Home tuition - This is within the Hungarian state system but receives no state funding. Pupils have to be registered with a school and are given 2 exams per year. These exams are charged for and I was quoted one price of 40,000huf per exam per pupil and another price of 150,000huf per year per pupil.

3 Distance learning - This is within the state system, state funding is received by the school and pupils are registered with a school and have to attend school 1 day per month with monthly tests in various subjects given by arrangement (i.e. no surprise tests) There is a minimum of 3 marks / subject / half year. No fees are charged to the parents under this system. This system is designed for when the school is deemed too far from the pupil and living in is not appropriate, but as you can imagine some parents wanting to HT use this option to avoid the fee paying HT solution.

Permission is needed to HT within either state system and if the education results do not come up to a minimum standard then permission will be withdrawn and school attendance will be required. This does not happen with the international schools as they operate outside the state system.

Language will be a problem unless your child is already proficient in Hungarian. There are a number of dual language schools where some or most of the tuition is done in a foreign language (usually English). On this side of the Balaton there are 2, one in Balatonfured and one in Tapolca. This type of school may be an option for HT in English within the state system but you would have to discuss this with the individual schools.

Are you coming to Hungary for the long term? and does your child have any knowledge of Hungarian? If it is for an extended time then IMO your child would be better off in a Hungarian school as they will pick up the language quickly and will be less isolated. Both my children went through the state system and I think it is better than the UK schools. But of course you may well have your own reasons for doing HT. If you are in Hungary for a short time then HT may be the best option.