Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Computer repairs

Computer repairs

Old Apr 10th 2020, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computer repairs

Wanted, a trusted, reliable repair shop that can handle a Mac Pro and not rip you off. The repair will be suspended until Covid is defeated as it is not essential, thank you.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 7:51 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer repairs

I cannot tell you where to go but in Kaposvar I can tell you where not to go unless you want bootleg operating systems and poor customer service.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

https://re-store.hu/mac-repair/ I have used this place in the past in Budapest. They were fine not too expensive. That was a couple of years ago though so I couldn't give you any recent opinions.

As with everything it is a minefield.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a shop in Keszthely roughly opposite interspar who repaired a non functioning laptop for me. They were very reasonable price wise but I dont know if they deal with Macs.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enter
Wanted, a trusted, reliable repair shop that can handle a Mac Pro and not rip you off. The repair will be suspended until Covid is defeated as it is not essential, thank you.
Can you advise what year and model of Mac? Is it a desktop Mac Pro or MacBook Pro?
It's unfortunate that one reads of so many folks being ripped off by official Apple stores, and even sadder is that when outside of warranty a Mac is so often not cost effective to repair, and many computer repair stores are not familiar with Macs and therefore the customer ends up with a bodge-job.
My pastime is repairing all types of 'sick' Mac computers which I buy cheaply, get them serviceable and keep them all - much to the chagrin of the little lady of the house. I now have quite a formidable 'museum' of Macs of all vintage.
I frequent several specialized Mac forums and give free advise on how to repair. IFixit is a mine of information on doing-it-yourself. Click on THIS link then 'Devices' and select your model which gives a great deal of info on diy. And its often far easier that one might imagine. And often there are a few 'magic' key imputs that can bring an unresponsive Mac back to life within minutes. Many Apple stores don't do this but proceed to change out components - often unnecessary and very costly.
If I can help you further with info I will willingly do so. I've helped dozens of people with a phone call or emails on how to fix their Macs at home.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 11th 2020 at 8:54 am.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

2017sunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

I know of a good repair shop in nagykanizsia the have done a few of ours and friends over the years and are really genuine even said that that some of the repairs would cost mor than the machine was worth ?? !!!
Old Apr 16th 2020, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2017sunshine
I know of a good repair shop in nagykanizsia the have done a few of ours and friends over the years and are really genuine even said that that some of the repairs would cost mor than the machine was worth ?? !!!
If 'enter' had mentioned which model/year of Mac and the problem encountered I could probably have given guidence on whether it was cost effective to repair.........
For those who may be interested, it may be worth a mention that on the General forum one can find 'The Lab' which is very useful for any technical queries on computers/ tv's/radios/satelite dishes etc, etc. I've picked up a mine of information from very knowledgeable Brit expats there.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 16th 2020 at 7:53 am.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mac Pro 2012, trackpad faulty. I think it needs cleaning dirt/dust out. I have hoovered gently with a small spout and seems to have solved the problem, for now. I have seen videos on youtube but I would not want to do a diy job as prone to cock things up.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

As you mention a trackpad, I assume it's a MacBook Pro laptop, as the Mac Pro is a desktop with a remote keyboard and mouse - although one can connect & use Apple's separate 'magic trackpad'.
Several reasons that may cause the MacBook Pro trackpad to malfunction:-

i) Debris dust/crumbs etc restricting movement (hopefully your problem, which the visit with the Hoover has probably dislodged). If the problem re-occurs you could also try using a can of compressed air directed around the trackpad edges. I've found that to be an affective cure more than once. A more effective permanent cure is doing the same with the trackpad partially removed, but requires a few tools on the 13" model, namely a Phillips #00 screwdriver to remove the bottom case and two tri-point screwdrivers 5.6mm and 13mm to remove the battery. (Similar tools on the 15" model, plus the battery removal requires a tri-point Y0 screwdriver).

ii) One or more bulging cells on the battery, which press up on the trackpad underside restricting movement. Only cure is to change the battery which is relatively easy.

iii) Defective trackpad ribbon cable. Can occasionally be a problem, I've changed out one, which tends to be more a problem on the 13" than 15" model laptop.

iv) Software problem which can be remedied by keeping the OS updated. You can run up to OS 10.14.6 Mojave on the 13" & 15" MacBook Pros.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
As you mention a trackpad, I assume it's a MacBook Pro laptop, as the Mac Pro is a desktop with a remote keyboard and mouse - although one can connect & use Apple's separate 'magic trackpad'.
Several reasons that may cause the MacBook Pro trackpad to malfunction:-

i) Debris dust/crumbs etc restricting movement (hopefully your problem, which the visit with the Hoover has probably dislodged). If the problem re-occurs you could also try using a can of compressed air directed around the trackpad edges. I've found that to be an affective cure more than once. A more effective permanent cure is doing the same with the trackpad partially removed, but requires a few tools on the 13" model, namely a Phillips #00 screwdriver to remove the bottom case and two tri-point screwdrivers 5.6mm and 13mm to remove the battery. (Similar tools on the 15" model, plus the battery removal requires a tri-point Y0 screwdriver).

ii) One or more bulging cells on the battery, which press up on the trackpad underside restricting movement. Only cure is to change the battery which is relatively easy.

iii) Defective trackpad ribbon cable. Can occasionally be a problem, I've changed out one, which tends to be more a problem on the 13" than 15" model laptop.

iv) Software problem which can be remedied by keeping the OS updated. You can run up to OS 10.14.6 Mojave on the 13" & 15" MacBook Pros.
Cheers, while it is working I will leave but if starts again I will give it a blast of air.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a MacBook Pro, which model is it? (Underside Model No. A-????).
This is important to determine the fault but also the remedy.

Old Apr 16th 2020, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calman014
If it's a MacBook Pro, which model is it? (Underside Model No. A-????).
This is important to determine the fault but also the remedy.
Macbook Pro mid 2012 15" no number on underside no number in "About this mac"
Old Apr 16th 2020, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by enter
Macbook Pro mid 2012 15" no number on underside no number in "About this mac"
MBookPro9,1 mid 2012 15" (pre Retina) is model A1286 EMC2556 and imho the golden model of Mac laptops. Generally superbly reliable and the last of the fully upgradeable MacBooks. Excellent repairability score of 7/10.
MBookPro10,1 mid 2012 15" (Retina) is model A1398 EMC2512, not particularly nice to work on, very poor repairability score of 1/10. Very costly Retina screen if defective, plus battery is firmly glued-in and a pain to change. And RAM memory is soldered onto the logic-board - unpardonable! I hope your's the former..........
Depending on the OS installed, either should indicate the model identifier in the Apple/About this Mac/System Report/Hardware drop-down menu, i.e. Macbook9,1 or MacBook10,1.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 16th 2020 at 6:45 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Fold the screen down, Turn the computer over and close to the hinge there is a string of very small numbers, it will be there.
Perhaps a magnifying glass of some reading glasses would help.

Once again its the A-???? which is important.

This series of models had some software patches for the trackpad in combination with software updates. That might be the problem.

Which Mac OS is running on the MacBook Pro right now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.