Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Clearing driveway and footpath

Clearing driveway and footpath

Old Dec 27th 2021, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clearing driveway and footpath

We are aware it's our responsibility to clear the driveway and footpath other side of our boundary but are we responsible for ensuring it is not icy and slippery?
We had three family members at ours for lunch yesterday. First one to arrive said the footpath was very slippery so asked her husband to bring some sand. We always used grit in the UK until we realised it wasn't dog friendly. Is sand any better? We're not keen to use it on the footpath on our property because it means the dogs will be bringing sand into the house and it will get everywhere. Only option is to wipe their paws every time which we would do if there's grit on the roads.
If the roads and footpaths are icy I wear appropriate footwear or put on my rubber slip ons which go over my boots and have six studs on each. No way would I go out in smooth soled smart shoes and that's what two family members were wearing yesterday!

​​​​
Old Dec 27th 2021, 6:59 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clearing driveway and footpath

I think it best to make inquiry at the local Polgarmeisters Office about your local ordinances. I am not sure what the requirements are even here in my village but in the almost 5 years we have been here not once have I seen a sidewalk or drive shoveled during snow events. It really wouldn't matter even if they did require them to be shoveled as almost every person I encounter walks in the middle of the street here in this villge. I am disabled and am unable to shovel the walk and drive and there is no one that wants to employ to do that sort of task either. My village does have someone that runs a tractor with a scraper on it and clears the streets.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
We are aware it's our responsibility to clear the driveway and footpath other side of our boundary but are we responsible for ensuring it is not icy and slippery?
We had three family members at ours for lunch yesterday. First one to arrive said the footpath was very slippery so asked her husband to bring some sand. We always used grit in the UK until we realised it wasn't dog friendly. Is sand any better? We're not keen to use it on the footpath on our property because it means the dogs will be bringing sand into the house and it will get everywhere. Only option is to wipe their paws every time which we would do if there's grit on the roads.
If the roads and footpaths are icy I wear appropriate footwear or put on my rubber slip ons which go over my boots and have six studs on each. No way would I go out in smooth soled smart shoes and that's what two family members were wearing yesterday!

​​​​
The pathways and lane outside my front gate is cleared by Mayor's workers. Immediately outside my front door I use cat litter which is cheap to buy and easy to clean up in the house. Elsewhere on the driveway path I use either ashes from my living room fire or the sawdust left from cutting up logs.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
The pathways and lane outside my front gate is cleared by Mayor's workers. Immediately outside my front door I use cat litter which is cheap to buy and easy to clean up in the house. Elsewhere on the driveway path I use either ashes from my living room fire or the sawdust left from cutting up logs.
Cat litter .... Will look into this.
Old Jan 11th 2022, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least there are some advantages to global warming!
My town is full of coconscious pavement cleaners, and my neighbour is the Gold Star Queen of them, or she used to be, old age and ill health has slowed her down now.
When I first moved here there were several snowy winters, and every time she would be out sweeping from the first flakes, even if that was the middle of the night. and she would continued with the falling snow recoating the path behind her.
Me, I don't know if I am lazy or intelligent but I waited until it stopped and was thick enough to shovel away all in one go, and if it turned out to only be a light sprinkling then I used road salt to disperse it.
As Jack pointed out most people actually walk on the road not the pavement as they do normally, which makes a sort of sense since each property has a different type of pavement with no uniformity of height or connectivity to it's neighbour, the road is easier whatever the weather.

I have a vague recollection from previous threads on this issue that if you sweep the path and someone slips then you could be liable, but if you don't clear it then you are not. Thankfully Hungary is not the USA when talking about liabilities.
But definitely do not take this as being correct!
Old Jan 11th 2022, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
Well at least there are some advantages to global warming!
My town is full of coconscious pavement cleaners, and my neighbour is the Gold Star Queen of them, or she used to be, old age and ill health has slowed her down now.
When I first moved here there were several snowy winters, and every time she would be out sweeping from the first flakes, even if that was the middle of the night. and she would continued with the falling snow recoating the path behind her.
Me, I don't know if I am lazy or intelligent but I waited until it stopped and was thick enough to shovel away all in one go, and if it turned out to only be a light sprinkling then I used road salt to disperse it.
As Jack pointed out most people actually walk on the road not the pavement as they do normally, which makes a sort of sense since each property has a different type of pavement with no uniformity of height or connectivity to it's neighbour, the road is easier whatever the weather.

I have a vague recollection from previous threads on this issue that if you sweep the path and someone slips then you could be liable, but if you don't clear it then you are not. Thankfully Hungary is not the USA when talking about liabilities.
But definitely do not take this as being correct!
Last part about clearing the path and someone slips leading to liability. But if someone isn't wearing appropriate footwear for the weather conditions I'd think they would be exempt? Wearing smooth soled shoes would be madness in icey road and pavement conditions.

I too shovel the snow once it's stopped but recently there was a thin sliver of snow then very cold overnight and it became very slippery. My Hungarian wife had said it needs sweeping up the previous night!