Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Chainsaw Licence?

Chainsaw Licence?

Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chainsaw Licence?

I had an email from a potential volunteer, saying he has a chainsaw licence for Hungary. He says this is a legal requirement to operate a chainsaw in Hungary. Is this correct?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chainsaw Licence?

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I had an email from a potential volunteer, saying he has a chainsaw licence for Hungary. He says this is a legal requirement to operate a chainsaw in Hungary. Is this correct?
Really? I would be surprised if many people followed such a rule.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

If you employ someone to use a chainsaw then that person needs to be qualified to use a chainsaw. Similarly if you undertake paid work for someone (e.g. a neighbour's fallen tree, for which they pay you to cut up) then you will need to be qualified.

Tree surgeons need to be qualified to use a chain saw and separate qualification to climb trees with ropes.

As with lots of things here such rules are often ignored - until something goes wrong

If you are using a chainsaw for your own purposes e.g. your firewood, then no qualification is needed

Can I ask what type of volunteer (which organisation) you are going through, if any.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Can I ask what type of volunteer (which organisation) you are going through, if any.
Peter - I have some experience of volunteer organisations and there is a new one free to hosts which has just been set up. Feel free to pm me for details.
:-)
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

If you are using a chainsaw for your own purposes e.g. your firewood, then no qualification is needed

In this case it was HelpX but I'm also registered with Workaway. Hopefully the fact that people come via these organisations means they are recognised as unpaid volunteers and not regarded as employees. I am already careful about this as people who are not official volunteers can be regarded by the tax and immigration officials as illegal workers and I could be in trouble for employing them illegally.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:51 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I am already careful about this as people who are not official volunteers can be regarded by the tax and immigration officials as illegal workers and I could be in trouble for employing them illegally.
Rightly so as I remember reading quite recently how they were cracking down on "friends" doing work. Seems they were trying to stop the practice of having friends round for a bbq/dinner in lieu of garden/building work, the implication being they were really being paid and the bbq was a veil.
Theoretically, as they come through a volunteer organisation then proving they are unpaid shouldn't be a problem. With the language barrier to consider, I don't think anybody would look into it too closely but worth being prepared just in case.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of the regulations is that volunteer workers can only work for a non-profit organisation. We have volunteers through the WWOOF organisation which is registered in Hungary as a non-profit organisation. We insist that all our volunteers and registered with them (no big deal as it is free) so hopefully if we ever got an inspection we are all members of the non-profit organisation so there would (should?) be no problems. Of course if the officials decided to nit pick they could decide that the full board provided for the hours worked was 'payment in kind' but we'll cross that bridge 'if and when'