casual labour

Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default casual labour

bit of a minefield I know but hoping for some pointers if I pay someone to cut grass and then the same person does some painting etc etc at what point do I become an employer rather than paying for a service

what would be an ok daily or hourly rate for a Hungarian casual worker?
are there times of the year that are better for casual workers?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: casual labour

There used to be a book system "the blue book" where you bought stamps to cover tax and NI, these were put in their book and then you signed. That changed to a system where you could pay online or at the tax office, think it's still the same. This method allows for a run of employment of 5 days with a maximum 15 days a month, 120 days a year.

You as the employer are responsible for ensuring the tax and NI is paid, a Danish chap near us was fined in excess of £3,000 for employing casual labour

If you employ somebody on a verbal contract for longer than 30 days, it is deemed illegal and they must be provided with a written contract.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
There used to be a book system "the blue book" where you bought stamps to cover tax and NI, these were put in their book and then you signed. That changed to a system where you could pay online or at the tax office, think it's still the same. This method allows for a run of employment of 5 days with a maximum 15 days a month, 120 days a year.

You as the employer are responsible for ensuring the tax and NI is paid, a Danish chap near us was fined in excess of £3,000 for employing casual labour

If you employ somebody on a verbal contract for longer than 30 days, it is deemed illegal and they must be provided with a written contract.
ouch!
clearly something I need to look in to, is there a minimum time in hours that needs to be done before you have to report it, I ask as I had a neighbour cut the grass at end of last year for 5000f I was told this was how things are done
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:32 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heli2010
ouch!
clearly something I need to look in to, is there a minimum time in hours that needs to be done before you have to report it, I ask as I had a neighbour cut the grass at end of last year for 5000f I was told this was how things are done
It's how things are done if you don't get caught! Whether you get caught is really down to whether you get reported, the person working gets reported or they are doing spot checks. The Danish chap thinks it was a jealous villager who begrudged others getting work.
In this instance, the onus is on the employer to pay the contributions, the only alternative is to have them work as self employed and therefore liable for their own contributions though you would have to have something in writing and for casual workers, few would be willing to give this.

You most likely won't have a problem but people do get caught and the fines are hefty.