Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Cars, Trucks, 2WD, 4WD

Cars, Trucks, 2WD, 4WD

Old Nov 1st 2020, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars, Trucks, 2WD, 4WD

The new car insurance is 143.000 HUF. It came down because I increased the excess. I should get some of that back after three years if I don't make any claims for damages caused by myself.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
The new car insurance is 143.000 HUF. It came down because I increased the excess. I should get some of that back after three years if I don't make any claims for damages caused by myself.
Err....It is not a 'no blame bonus' it is a 'no claim bonus'. You have to read the small print to find out if for instance claiming for a cracked windscreen results in a loss of NCB (but that may be less than your excess anyway)

Have fun learning to operate the machine !!!
Old Nov 1st 2020, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

But don't drive too many of those dirt roads!
Or who will clean the car afterwards?
Old Nov 1st 2020, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Are you offering to clean it for me?
Old Nov 1st 2020, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Cars, Trucks, 2WD, 4WD

Surely having a muddy 4WD shows you are a 'real' driver
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I opted for 4WD based on my local deaf friends advice. One of them is an experienced mechanic and car body repairer (he's an experienced palinka brewer too!). Others .... told me their experiences in some areas where they have driven. My car is Suzuki SX4 S-Cross so is not a fully fledged SUV. Ground clearance is middling. That is one issue which has cropped up whenever we have boarded ferries across the Tiszra river! I honestly think those operating these ferries are half pissed because I think there should be a bit more control for vehicles driving onto the ferries. Ah, well, this is Hungary, I'm not going to start flapping my wings and shrieking about possible damage to my car because I'm committed to living here! Only thing is ..... we don't seem to have any good contacts to buy home made palinka. No one seems to want to tell us whom we can buy it from!
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Surely having a muddy 4WD shows you are a 'real' driver
At 16 when I was at boarding school for deaf boys I opted to learn to ride a moped under RAC on Sunday mornings. I hated church and this was a good excuse. On the day of the test, 1976, it snowed and it was also a parents visiting day. My parents decided to come down from Peterborough by train. Meanwhile, I was riding around Walton-on-Thames on a moped for my RAC moped test. I passed! Then my parents arrived an hour later back at my boarding school. Sorry ... can't say more ....
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Re pálinka:
The problem might be that many have no licence for this and pay no tax (50 liters were/are free) and they don't want the authorities to know.
So maybe you have to have a trusted Hungarian friend do the buying.
Re your car:
Does it have a trailer hitch?
I need a lot of wood transported ...
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re pálinka:
The problem might be that many have no licence for this and pay no tax (50 liters were/are free) and they don't want the authorities to know.
So maybe you have to have a trusted Hungarian friend do the buying.
Re your car:
Does it have a trailer hitch?
I need a lot of wood transported ...
Wolfi - sadly no trailer hitch because I bought from what was on offer. Compared to UK for same specification I think I bought it £2,000 to £3,000 cheaper! I might liaise with Miskolc Suzuki to ask about adding a hitch, preferably a foldable or removeable hitch with electrics because I'm certain this will be handy and give us flexibility whether to take home whatever with trailer or be delivered.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Wolfi - sadly no trailer hitch because I bought from what was on offer. Compared to UK for same specification I think I bought it £2,000 to £3,000 cheaper! I might liaise with Miskolc Suzuki to ask about adding a hitch, preferably a foldable or removeable hitch with electrics because I'm certain this will be handy and give us flexibility whether to take home whatever with trailer or be delivered.
Oops - trailer hitch should have been done when you got the car. In Hungary a trailer hitch is part of the MOT and the fact of a trailer hitch is noted on the log book (that you have to have with you when you drive!) and details the weight limits of braked and unbraked trailers that the car is capable of towing. So if you add a tow bar now you will need a new MOT before you can tow anything.
(The allowable towing weights have nothing to do with what the manufactures list as the towing capabilities but are to do with formulas on the kerb weight of the vehicle)

Oh and a trailer hitch has to be fitted by a qualified fitter. No going down to Halfords equivalent on Saturday morning fitting the purchased tow bar over the weekend and towing on Monday. - Oh No - this is Hungary !!

Have a word with Suzuki anyway explaining that you weren't advised about the hitch regs when you bought the car, plead ignorance as a foreigner and see if you can get a deal to fit one cheap as a (valued?) new customer
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

How does the fitting of a tow bar work on a new car? Technically, it hasn't had its first műszaki yet so maybe it's just a case of having it fitted and having the logbook adjusted accordingly?
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
How does the fitting of a tow bar work on a new car? Technically, it hasn't had its first műszaki yet so maybe it's just a case of having it fitted and having the logbook adjusted accordingly?
If a new car is ordered with a tow bar fitted then that is done before the first müszaki and before the number plates and log book are issued. but if Fen Tiger already has the car then it has number plates and a log book and is on the road. Once it leaves the show room with plates and a log book then it is too late to fit the tow-bar as a delivery option.
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If a new car is ordered with a tow bar fitted then that is done before the first müszaki and before the number plates and log book are issued. but if Fen Tiger already has the car then it has number plates and a log book and is on the road. Once it leaves the show room with plates and a log book then it is too late to fit the tow-bar as a delivery option.
But...does it need a mű
szaki if one is fitted as a week-old car or does the log book just need re-issuing?
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
But...does it need a mű
szaki if one is fitted as a week-old car or does the log book just need re-issuing?
It will need a muszaki because the tow bar must be inspected for structural integrity of the fitting and for being an authorised type.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm forgetting about a tow bar until next year. I need to get the hang of the new car before doing anything outside my comfort zone. I've never towed anything so that's off the agenda until I really need one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.