Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

CARLESS. Can you live easily without a car? What is the cost of running a car?

CARLESS. Can you live easily without a car? What is the cost of running a car?

Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:04 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default CARLESS. Can you live easily without a car? What is the cost of running a car?

Carless will depend how remote you are, but for our location, living carless would be quite easy. Groceries: both Tesco & Auchan deliver groceries same idea as UK, the cost of delivery is about £3 so no different to driving yourself to the supermarket & back. For fresh daily bread, most villages will have a shop or 2, we've a CBA (or ABC, can't remember!) ie a Co-Op, small but got all the essentials. The cost is generally slightly higher than Tesco but not for bread & milk/ fruit & veg. We have an excellent independent fruit & veg shop that is better than most UK supermarkets in terms of quality and far cheaper - you won't find exotic stuff or pre-prepared salads etc, but this is no problem IMV. You'll struggle to find avocados or papaya. I asked the owner to get me 2 trays of dried red chillis, one for here & one for UK, 2 days later she handed them over, HUF 500/ tray, ie I reckon you could get most things on demand. All within easy walking distance (village pop about 4000). There's a Dr, a vet, a very good pharmacy, a few other bits such as a couple of small pubs & a flower shop.

What about culture/ big city? Public transport seems expensive but is actually much cheaper than UK (unless you get it free). We could get the coach then the local train & be in central Budapest in 90 mins, nice frequent service on both, I guess return cost would be something like £20.

Running a car? Many secondhand items in Hungary can be very expensive vs UK & cars are one of them. New prices are similar, though. But once you have the capital cost of purchase out of the way, running costs can be remarkably low. We run 2 old cars we've had from new, both pushing 20 now. Annual compulsory insurance is not too much, can't remember but I think £150-200, somebody can put me right. Maintenance: you can of course go to main dealership and that will be just as expensive as UK. But for older cars it's not worth it. Find a local garage, get them to keep your car going and they'll look after you at very reasonable cost. It's only what they do with most Hungarians in the same situation, ie keep the car roadworthy in the broadest sense without charging the earth. The MOT comes every 2 years & it's nothing like as stressful as the UK MOT. We know we're going to pass. Let's get this straight: no brown envelopes here etc. You hand your car over in the morning, the garage takes it away to get it tested for all the usual stuff, my understanding is it gets passed there & then but the garage then brings it back to their workshop to fix the major issues such as brakes and you pick it up at 5pm or next morning. Emissions are not an issue, so no worries there, it probably helps if the guys running the garage can trust you not to squeal. So if you're the sort of person who always asks for an afas szamla, you're going to pay more. You'll need winter tyres in the snow, changing over 4 corners will be HUF 5000 or so. To my surprise, Carparts4less will deliver to Hungary for under £10, I ordered a catalytic converter and rear exhaust section for one of our cars this week and that's pretty heavy but still £10, cost of both bits about £140 delivered, I'll probably end up paying £30 to get the garage to fit them.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:56 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CARLESS. Can you live easily without a car? What is the cost of running a ca

In our area (South West Hungary) It would be very easy to live without a vehicle. Excellent bus transport and railway here. That is if we were so inclined to do so. We could almost toss a stone and be at the railway station. We live about 30km from Kaposvar. Our old decrepit bodies won't cooperate with that plan of walking around Kaposvar to do the shopping. Tesco does not deliver here. our village has a couple shops.

Buying an automobile is cheaper outside of Hungary, but, getting the paperwork and vehicle legal in Hungary can eat up what you save buying in the UK or Germany. So, that is a dilemma you will have to consider. We generally just pay a neighbor for a ride or have someone pickup what we need. We may purchase an old Fiat or Opel next year because of medical reasons.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Szentgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CARLESS. Can you live easily without a car? What is the cost of running a ca

HI Pilis,
were You able to trasnfer your No Claim Bonus from UK?
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szentgal
HI Pilis,
I'd be extremely surprised if this were not possible in Hungary, given that in the past I've had my No Claim Bonus accepted in France, Spain, Italy, Middle-East and in Asia.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

HI Pilis,
LDV who I was with for only 1 year sent the certificate, fabulous customer service, and Allianz accepted it and I got a rebate for previous years overpayment which was nice.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Pilis Nemzeti Parks mum is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Pilis,
Yep you can freely transfer these within EU. Each company might have slightly different rules but in general you'll be fine.

We tried migrating to NZ about 15 years ago. The car insurance co just trusted us (& it was true) when we said we had 10+ years No Claims.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Pilis Nemzeti Parks mum is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got our Volvo serviced today. Oil (from them), I supplied the other bits: oil filter, air filter, 4 spark plugs, 2x brighter front light bulbs, fixed the screen washers (1 was missing the windscreen)

HUF20,000 + bottle of wine
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Parks mum
Yep you can freely transfer these within EU.
And after next March......?????????????
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 7:17 pm
Banned

Main dealerships have their uses and car problem diagnosis is a case in point. My old BMW had a strange & worrying problem, sort of random conking out, kangaroo jumping and under-revving. Very stressful at traffic lights. Local guy was scratching his head so I arranged a diagnosis appointment at BMW in Budapest, somehow managed to drive this erratic car there! They found quite a few things but the cause of kangaroo jumping etc was < - snipped - > ( without link it states "Engine-Crankshaft-Position-Sensor") - which I'd never heard of! Maybe somebody can tell me what it actually does?

Anyway, BMW quoted HUF 27000 for the part. They helpfully supplied me with a list of all the bits my car needed, complete with original BMW reference numbers. So I just got googling and found it for about £30. It was a very simple 5 minute switch for my friendly garage guys, I don't think they even charged me for labour.

The BMW diagnosis cost HUF 10000 and was worth every forint.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 23rd 2018 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Removed ebay link. Rather spammy.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 7:12 pm
Banned

Datapoint - I got my old BMW fixed yesterday - 1. replace rear section on exhaust (I supplied the part, delivered direct to garage by DHL from carparts4less, delivery £10), 2. replace non-functioning windscreen washer motor, they supplied part, 3 fix interior trimming where my mother-in-law had wrenched it off when she gripped it to get out instead of the handle provided for that purpose. Cost - 10,000 FT.

Added bonus - I had broken the rear left lights section on my wife's old Volvo, carelessly backing it into a wall when slightly tiddly (only in the village!). I bought a secondhand replacement on Ebay.uk for £30 and my wife brought it out in her hand luggage last week. We were there in the Volvo to drop me off to pick up the BMW with the part in the back, so we asked when they could replace the broken bit, my local guy says come back at 5pm, I'll fit it in and it only takes 15 mins. When we picked it up he refused to take any further payment, though I did give him a bottle of wine.