Car tax

Old Aug 9th 2015, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car tax

Since my car tax is paid to the local mayors office would I be right in thinking the amount may well vary depending on location.
I pay 13,800 per quarter, I don't know if I think this is high or about right.
I live in a town and all the roads are in a good condition.

I am posting this on a Sunday since as most of you probably know from other posts I live opposite the Mayor and he is no fool, he just sent his very attractive young daughter across with the bill, no way she is going to get complained at.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car tax

Car tax is paid to the local council but is a national scale based on the power output of the engine.
About 3-4 years ago the system was changed from a weight based tax to a power output based tax but for trailers having no engines the weight tax remained. For me this resulted in the tax on my Land Rover being reduced by more than half but the tax on my 2 ton trailer remained the same and is now more than twice what I pay for the LR. (I have since taken the trailer off the road and hire one when needed for road use as it is more cost effective)
Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

So we are all equal in the eyes of the local councils then, and I would still pay the same even if I lived at the end of a dirt track in the middle of nowhere.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

yup - providing the car you park on the nice asphalt road has the same horse power as the one you would park on the bumpy, pot-holed dirt track located at the back of beyond
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I would quite like a small trailer for the kind of stuff I routinely chuck in the back of the car (the back seats have been folded away for months) but it would go against the grain to have to pay tax and registration on one. Is the MoT also more expensive if your vehicle has a towbar fitted?
Old Aug 10th 2015, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I would quite like a small trailer for the kind of stuff I routinely chuck in the back of the car (the back seats have been folded away for months) but it would go against the grain to have to pay tax and registration on one. Is the MoT also more expensive if your vehicle has a towbar fitted?
The MoT is the same price, however if you have a tow bar fitted then it will need an MoT before you can use the tow bar, which will have to be fitted professionally and the registration document updated to reflect the towing capabilities of the car detailing max towable weights for braked and unbreaked trailers, which is calculated based on the kerb weight of the car.

I hire a trailer when needed at 250fts per hour or 2500 per day for a 2.8M long 500kg capacity trailer.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I already had my tow bar fitted when I went through the import inspection so was no hassle.
I sold my trailer because as the others said it is just not cost effective to keep for occasional use.

The tax request that the lovely daughter of the Mayor delivered yesterday has a note to say a fine will be imposed for late or non payment, which is a bit rich since the lazy wench didn't bother to walk across the road with the one due 3 months ago! so today I had to pay two bills. (but no fine)
Old Aug 10th 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
I sold my trailer because as the others said it is just not cost effective to keep for occasional use.
This is why I took my trailer off the road, but I am considering getting it a red number plate (agricultural use) which is 5 years between MoTs and no road tax. - down side 25km/hour speed limit, so definitely local use only
Old Aug 11th 2015, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
....red number plate (agricultural use) which is 5 years between MoTs and no road tax. - down side 25km/hour speed limit, so definitely local use only

Is this the plate you have for small tractors? One or two old folk in my village use something like this to go to the village shop or the post office:

Kistraktor Nissan - FonyĆ³d, Somogy
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Is this the plate you have for small tractors? One or two old folk in my village use something like this to go to the village shop or the post office:
Yes