British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Car rental Vienna/Balaton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/car-rental-vienna-balaton-799272/)

mr87009 Jun 6th 2013 10:54 am

Car rental Vienna/Balaton

Hi folks,

Over again next month for a few days. Couldn't get a reasonable flight into Budapest so have booked to arrive in Vienna late evening, so hire car needed. Most of the car rental companies seem to want to charge a surcharge for taking cars into Hungary - anyone any experience if they actually charge this, or specific companies that don't?

Cheers,

Matt

adventurejunkie Jun 6th 2013 11:38 am

Re: Car rental Vienna/Balaton

Hi Matt had look as this and all the options flying in from Gatwick which is my local airport and the only other route that works cheaper for cross border car hire into Hungary was via Zagreb (Croatia) and not at the moment as this route is very busy at the moment. Would be good to find another option in Vienna as the surcharge was more than that rental when I researched this route.

Peter_in_Hungary Jun 6th 2013 12:05 pm

There is a bus from Vienna to Budapest, otherwise try the various car share websites as lots of Hungarians work in / around Vienna and commute at various times.

capricorn2013 Jun 6th 2013 12:39 pm

You can get a fast train from Vienna to Budapest and they often have it on special offer for 39 euros return.

Garbatellamike Jun 6th 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by capricorn2013 (Post 10743842)
You can get a fast train from Vienna to Budapest and they often have it on special offer for 39 euros return.

OH and I did exactly this a few years back - painless. Then got a local bus for the rest of the journey - bit slower but worked well once we found the right bus station in Budapest!

mr87009 Jun 6th 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for the thoughts folks, but as in my original posting I don't arrive into Vienna until late (flight arrives after 2200), so going via Budapest will add a good morning onto my journey to Balaton plus a costly hotel in Vienna.

Sounds like I'm better stumping up the cash (this is usually against my principles LOL :thumbdown:)

Matt

Rural Hungary Jun 6th 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by mr87009 (Post 10743984)
Thanks for the thoughts folks, but as in my original posting I don't arrive into Vienna until late (flight arrives after 2200), so going via Budapest will add a good morning onto my journey to Balaton plus a costly hotel in Vienna.

Sounds like I'm better stumping up the cash (this is usually against my principles LOL :thumbdown:)

Matt

Public transport from Vienna and Zagreb can be a pain due to the flight times. Try this site, I have recommended it to several clients who find it useful.

Try here
for car rental with free cross border card though I would contact them to confirm that it is indeed free and no extra charge will be levied on collection.