Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Car port on cross over

Car port on cross over

Old Jul 13th 2023, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car port on cross over

We have a crossover the culvert. I'm aware the grass verge and anything in front of our property belongs to the local council.
I see many properties in our village which have brickpaved the whole width of the "grass verge and crossover" . Some properties you could park eight cars on that brickpaving area! Some properties have created something like a rockery with nice plants, etc.
This has got me thinking ..... can I add a car port on the crossover? I'm thinking .... why not? All that's needed is a frame in four teeny weeny areas on the grass verge then a roof added. The rest of the grass verge will be left as it is. Only a few inches of the frame will be buried in the ground. The roof of the car port is above the ground. Who owns that?
Cheeky idea but why not?
Old Jul 14th 2023, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car port on cross over

Paving over the grass verge is one thing, putting a construction on it is quite another. Many councils have by-laws that mandate that you keep the (councils) land in front of your property tidy. building something on it would IMO be a no-no. But there would be no harm in asking them first.
BTW my understanding is that a car port can be put up without permission - but on your land.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Paving over the grass verge is one thing, putting a construction on it is quite another. Many councils have by-laws that mandate that you keep the (councils) land in front of your property tidy. building something on it would IMO be a no-no. But there would be no harm in asking them first.
BTW my understanding is that a car port can be put up without permission - but on your land.
I'm going to challenge the rules. Sorry .... this is who I am!
Old Jul 15th 2023, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

As Peter in Hungary says, beautifying the grass verge with plants or paving is one thing, but building a structure on it is a completely different kettle of fish.

As far as I understand the building regulations, you can build a car port on your own property without planning permission. You say yourself that the verges outside belong to the council and I can't imagine any council, let alone one in a heavily populated residential area like the one you live in, would be very happy to find someone had build a carport on their land, which is effectively what you propose doing. Apart from that it could be said that the structure constitutes an obstruction, and a danger to pedestrians, cyclists etc.

Personally I'd think again about what you are proposing to do

https://www.tervaz.hu/en/blog/leiras...ou-dont-2020/2
Old Jul 15th 2023, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Bye laws - you keep the land in front of your property tidy. My neighbour has destroyed 1/3rd of our grass verge driving his mini-bus along it. His mini-bus always is 3 metres on grass verge in front of our property. Is there a bye law which says neighbours should not park on grass verge of neighbouring property? Part of grass verge in front of our property is bare due to mentioned neighbours!
Old Jul 15th 2023, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
As Peter in Hungary says, beautifying the grass verge with plants or paving is one thing, but building a structure on it is a completely different kettle of fish.

As far as I understand the building regulations, you can build a car port on your own property without planning permission. You say yourself that the verges outside belong to the council and I can't imagine any council, let alone one in a heavily populated residential area like the one you live in, would be very happy to find someone had build a carport on their land, which is effectively what you propose doing. Apart from that it could be said that the structure constitutes an obstruction, and a danger to pedestrians, cyclists etc.

Personally I'd think again about what you are proposing to do

https://www.tervaz.hu/en/blog/leiras...ou-dont-2020/2
It will be only two or four posts supporting the car port roof. No obstacles for pedestrians. I would not be surprised if pedestrians sought shelter under it when there was a massive downpour.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Bye laws - you keep the land in front of your property tidy. My neighbour has destroyed 1/3rd of our grass verge driving his mini-bus along it. His mini-bus always is 3 metres on grass verge in front of our property. Is there a bye law which says neighbours should not park on grass verge of neighbouring property? Part of grass verge in front of our property is bare due to mentioned neighbours!
In summer I get cars or trucks parked on the grass verge opposite ny garden gates, because it's the only place that's in the shade of a large walnut tree. Before I had a car with power steering it was really difficult to reverse my Suzuki onto the road and I often had to go searching for the owner to ask them to move their vehicle.

If you don't want your neighbour parking there then either ask themto stop doing so, or plant a shrub/boulders/ flowers anything that prevents him from doing so.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
In summer I get cars or trucks parked on the grass verge opposite ny garden gates, because it's the only place that's in the shade of a large walnut tree. Before I had a car with power steering it was really difficult to reverse my Suzuki onto the road and I often had to go searching for the owner to ask them to move their vehicle.

If you don't want your neighbour parking there then either ask themto stop doing so, or plant a shrub/boulders/ flowers anything that prevents him from doing so.
I'm planning to put a shrub or bush at the "boundary " between our properties but got a feeling they might rip it out.
At this point in time neighbours have 15 metres of parking space in front of their property but they choose to park their minibus 3 metres on grass verge in front of our property.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 9:52 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

On my road that I live on the grass verge is so narrow on the opposite side of the street from my property that you cannot park anything on the verge because even if it touched the fence it would leave the vehicle blocking almost half of the street. On my side of the road there is room enough to park on the verge and not block the road. A resident up the road a few years ago placed some concrete flower planters with flowers in them to keep vehicles from parking on his verge and the village made him remove them. I am not bothered about someone parking in front of my property as long as they do not block my driveway or walk gates. I have about 30 metres of frontage on the street. Thankfully unless my neighbour directly accross from me has a visitor seldom does anyone park on the verge.

If I were wanting a carport that close to the street my worry would be someone hitting a post or the roof with a vehicle especially a fire truck or the trash truck due to their size.

Old Jul 16th 2023, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Asking such questions on the internet is a complete waste of time. Most people will have an idea or an opinion but your time would better spent directly asking the people who actually know the answer....your local hivatal.
Old Jul 16th 2023, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Asking such questions on the internet is a complete waste of time. Most people will have an idea or an opinion but your time would better spent directly asking the people who actually know the answer....your local hivatal.
Old Jul 16th 2023, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Exactly! A friend of mine who owns an abandoned house in the village has been told by the hivatal she's free to demolish it whenever she wants to. A friend of hers in a neighbouring village who owns a house in a similar condition which he also wishes to demolish has been told by the hivatal that he's not allowed to do so without getting permission.