Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Car Hire & Vignettes

Car Hire & Vignettes

Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire & Vignettes

Fen, I think the hire price is much cheaper than the big hire companies which tend to include a vignette.
I would go with Argus even adding the cost of buying your own vignette.
One for a month is under 5000 Fts (£14)
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed ArgusCarHire and this was their reply.

"Please be kindly informed non of our car rental partners will be able to provide you with vignette, which price would be included in the rental price."

I'm now at confused.com!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:35 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger

I'm now at confused.com!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to ask my wife to send them an email in Hungarian. Hopefully they will reply in Hungarian and I am less confused after my wife has translated it into English or British Sign Language!
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I feel so stupid because a few days ago I remembered I have a Hungarian friend who lives in the UK and when he goes to visit his mother in Szeged he hires a car from Budapest airport. The catch is he uses his air miles through Avios to book both flights and car hire which is through Aviz. I have checked our points total and I still have to pay a whopping £200. I should save about £100 on using other webistes. My friend sometimes visits with his family (5 of them in total) so hires a MPV and knowing he's big on finding the best deal am surprised he still opts for Avios. Looking on the Aviz website and using same dates the car hire for me would cost nearly £500 with taxes, plus more for damage waiver, etc. Gee, but anyway, I think I'll book through Avios and Aviz for peace of mind and when I'm more confident of the process, what to expect, got some Hungarian driving experience under my belt I'll go native like the rest of you. Mind you my wife is not keen for us to hire a car but I want the freedom to go where I (and/or my wife) wants to go. I think my wife's view is more to do with saving money as we have had some high outgoings recently via pets vet fees! So am still to decide!

Last edited by FenTiger; Mar 23rd 2013 at 9:02 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Location: North Kent but looking to relocate to Hungary this year
starting_out is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I'm new to this forum. I've hired cars from Budapest airport in jan and feb this year. I've used Argus, as I have done for years for other countries.
I believe the major car hire firms include the vignette, eg SixT, Hertz, Avis etc. I used SixT the first time then tried a local firm, Fox, the second time. They don't usually have British clients and their office is based near MacDonalds at a service station just near the airport on the main road into budapest centre. They collect you at the Airport. Vignette needs to be bought separately.
I've found it very easy and I buy Argus's own insurance package with Allianz. BTW I don't have shares with them but they do offer good comparisons.
Why not try SixT as vignette included.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Argus is a comparison site that has been around for yonks.

I've used them regularly for driving in France before my divorce, the USA where I have family, Ireland and other European countries. Jan was the first time I visited Hungary in years (I've family there) and I came over specifically to house hunt. I'm an older woman (not retirement age yet tho), travelled on my own and found it a very straightforward experience. Drive through centre of Budapest both times and headed down M7 past Balaton.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Found this link via ExpatsHungary on Facebook. Looks perfect for my needs, i.e. don't want to hire car for whole two weeks, just a couple of days.

http://www.kozmaautorent.hu/
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this Fen Tiger. Always useful to have details of car rental companies. You can use Argus to book for a few days or a few weeks or longer. The additional Allianz insurance (optional) to cover the excess etc appears to be cheaper than deals offered by cheap flight companies.

I'm using them for a 4 day trip to France and my next trip to Hungary if I decide not to drive from UK. Still planning my house removal.