Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Buses - Budapest Airport to Miskolc (or Malyi)

Buses - Budapest Airport to Miskolc (or Malyi)

Old Nov 9th 2019, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buses - Budapest Airport to Miskolc (or Malyi)

Originally Posted by jameswm
Yes, Deak Ferenc ter is 2.5km from Keleti, which is why you need to change. Or walk!
Plan to use the metro.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Phone this fellow. He runs a taxi service from Budapest Airport right up to your SIL front door. He's a good friend of my Slovak neighbours who work in Germany. He picks them up at Kosice Airport and delivers them to their house in the village.

Varga Janos Privat Sofor Service +36 303180676 or +36 309372624

Alternatively take the airport shuttle which will drop you at Keleti station. It takes about half an hour and costs 1250 FT.

There are plenty of express trains to Miskolc from 9 am onwards. The journey takes about 2 hrs 35 mins

You can check the timetable here ............... https://www.mavcsoport.hu/en

I'm not sure but think they've finished the work on the line from Keleti to Hatvan, My granddaughter and I went to Budapest in May and they'd been working on it for quite some time then.. There are plenty of taxis at the station when you get to Miskolc. As you walk out of the main entrance you'll see the taxi rank on the left. Anyway it's not too far to walk to the centre of Miskolc and the bus stations where you can always catch the bus to Malyi

Hope that helps

Last edited by Sachina; Nov 9th 2019 at 6:06 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswm
I live in that area. When are you going? (Or PM me rather than writing here!)

Yes, it takes about an hour by public transport/walking from the airport to Keleti, and there's no direct way (ie you have to change bus).

The train from Keleti - Miskolc is usually 2 hours but with this rail upgrade that's taking 6+ months, the rail replacement section by bus often adds time. Unless it's changed, the MAV rail replacement buses to Hatvan depart from Verseny utca.

You can use bkk's futar website or app to plan the journey from the airport to keleti.

If you only need to go to Malyi, not Miskolc, there is a closer station at Nyekledhaza, but not all trains stop there, so you'll need to use the MAV csoport planner.

Rome2Rio.com is also useful.
Nyekledhaza - I'll look into whether there's a train which stops here. It is much less hassle to get to for anyone picking me up.

I'm still waiting for the SIL to get back to my wife on suitable dates but it might be end of November. Hopefully, the properties we are interested in will still be for sale! Atleast I will be able to complete decorating my UK house. Two more rooms to do: the lounge and 3rd bedroom. The latter could do that in under one day. The lounge probably two days! There will be a rest day on Thursday 14th when I reach the big 6 0 . Looking forward to getting my new T-Shirt printed with 'Born in 1959 - The Year of Legends'. Last year my wife was 60 and I took her and her sister to Edinburgh earlier this year. We had a super time. My wife has asked me where do I want her to take me .... and I've said Gibraltar but she is scared of the Gibraltar Barbary macaques so it will mean myself going up to see them on my own .... that's if we do go there. Suffice to say I'm going to have to wait until we are in Hungary as we have so much to do on top of the decorating, there's sorting out the loft and garage.

Last edited by FenTiger; Nov 11th 2019 at 6:46 am.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Phone this fellow. He runs a taxi service from Budapest Airport right up to your SIL front door. He's a good friend of my Slovak neighbours who work in Germany. He picks them up at Kosice Airport and delivers them to their house in the village.

Varga Janos Privat Sofor Service +36 303180676 or +36 309372624

Alternatively take the airport shuttle which will drop you at Keleti station. It takes about half an hour and costs 1250 FT.

There are plenty of express trains to Miskolc from 9 am onwards. The journey takes about 2 hrs 35 mins

You can check the timetable here ............... https://www.mavcsoport.hu/en

I'm not sure but think they've finished the work on the line from Keleti to Hatvan, My granddaughter and I went to Budapest in May and they'd been working on it for quite some time then.. There are plenty of taxis at the station when you get to Miskolc. As you walk out of the main entrance you'll see the taxi rank on the left. Anyway it's not too far to walk to the centre of Miskolc and the bus stations where you can always catch the bus to Malyi

Hope that helps
Wouldn't the taxi service cost more than the train?

My wife said taxis in Miskolc are expensive. Anyone have an idea how much they cost?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Wouldn't the taxi service cost more than the train?

My wife said taxis in Miskolc are expensive. Anyone have an idea how much they cost?
I always ask before I take a taxi because if they suspect you're a "foreigner" they'll rip you off!

This will give you some idea ............... Malyi is 18 km from the Miskolc train station.

https://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/in/Miskolc

Taxi Fares in Miskolc, Hungary