Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Buses - Budapest Airport to Miskolc (or Malyi)

Buses - Budapest Airport to Miskolc (or Malyi)

Old Nov 4th 2019, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buses - Budapest Airport to Miskolc (or Malyi)

I might be making a trip to Hungary to view a property my wife viewed a couple of weeks ago and I'm determined to make my own way from the airport to Malyi, near Miskolc. There's a website 'BusRadar' https://www.busradar.com/ . Has anyone ever used this website or the buses? Obviously I will have to find a way how to get from Miskolc Taszai Train Station but I will worry about that later.
There doesn't seem to be a direct service from the airport to Miskolc and I note there's a number of changes, some three and some five! Gee! That would be fun.
Are there any other alternatives?
Old Nov 4th 2019, 11:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buses - Budapest Airport to Miskolc (or Malyi)

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I might be making a trip to Hungary to view a property my wife viewed a couple of weeks ago and I'm determined to make my own way from the airport to Malyi, near Miskolc. There's a website 'BusRadar' https://www.busradar.com/ . Has anyone ever used this website or the buses? Obviously I will have to find a way how to get from Miskolc Taszai Train Station but I will worry about that later.
There doesn't seem to be a direct service from the airport to Miskolc and I note there's a number of changes, some three and some five! Gee! That would be fun.
Bus to Ferihegy train station, then train to Miskolc (3.45 hrs)?
Old Nov 4th 2019, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Bus to Ferihegy train station, then train to Miskolc (3.45 hrs)?
the bus to Miskolc is just one minute under four hours.
I've travelled by train from Miskolc to Budapest Keleti station and I'm certain the journey was around two hours so and addition hour and forty five minutes to the airport seems like a much longer journey.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 11:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

the bus to Miskolc is just one minute under four hours.
I've travelled by train from Miskolc to Budapest Keleti station and I'm certain the journey was around two hours so and addition hour and forty five minutes to the airport seems like a much longer journey.
Fastest Keleti - Miskolc appears to be 2 hrs 51. However that's irrelevant as you are going from the airport. Of course if you prefer lots of changes...
Old Nov 4th 2019, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Go for it!
Alternatives to public transport would be to get relatives to collect you from the airport or to hire a car, otherwise

https://menetrendek.hu/ is the official bus time table. I'm afraid that there is no English option that I can find but it is not too difficult to navigate. A quick dip into the timetable showed 18 services on a weekday from Budapest to Mályi. The blue dots on the time line indicate changes and if you click the blue arrow on the bottom left of the particular service box this gives a drop down schedule of the route. The wait times are shown in mins. Personally I avoid any that have less than 5 - 10 mins wait because if the bus you are on is late then you miss the connection. Where the arrival and departure place names are the same this means both are at the same bus station - the easy option.
On the opening page if you click Csak busz járatok you only get bus options, if you click Busz, vonat és hajó járatok you get an integrated time table of bus trains and ships (ships? Oh well) A quick look at the integrated time table showed 32 options for a weekday. With the integrated time table on the top left corner for each there is an icon showing whether it is bus, train or both. On the drop down schedule there is again the wait time and if the arrival and depart are at different places e.g. train station to bus station, it gives the walk time in mins.

If you want train time tables only then https://www.mavcsoport.hu/en gives the train timetables in the English language option
Old Nov 4th 2019, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. Think it will be better to travel from Keleti to Miskolc by train. I've travelled on this line last August. One snag is they are upgrading the line so it means replacement bus service from Keleti to Hatvan, then train to Miskolc. Wife is checking with sister-in-law how her son travels between Miskolc and Budapest as he goes there frequently. Think he uses some sort of shared taxi/car/shuttle bus.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Think he uses some sort of shared taxi/car/shuttle bus.
There is a car sharing site called Oszkár.com - there may be others - my kids use it both for giving and getting lifts. AFAIK the typical 'donation' to the car owner is half the bus fare. IMO It says something about the general safety of Hungary that such a site can operate.

Old Nov 5th 2019, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

jetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond repute

What about flying in to Debrecen is that nearer
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jetblackonetenth
I would have to fly from Luton or other airports. Gatwick is 35 minutes away on a good day.
Think I will get the Airport shuttle bus 100E to the city centre, then metro to Keleti train station. Sister-in-law has offered to pick me up but I would arrive at Miskolc 30 minutes after she finishes work. Seems both my wife and sister-in-law don't realise I have travelled abroad on my own several times, Prague, Paris (train, ferry, train), Paphos, Majorca, etc. and got to my destination without any mishaps.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

jameswm is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in that area. When are you going? (Or PM me rather than writing here!)

Yes, it takes about an hour by public transport/walking from the airport to Keleti, and there's no direct way (ie you have to change bus).

The train from Keleti - Miskolc is usually 2 hours but with this rail upgrade that's taking 6+ months, the rail replacement section by bus often adds time. Unless it's changed, the MAV rail replacement buses to Hatvan depart from Verseny utca.

You can use bkk's futar website or app to plan the journey from the airport to keleti.

If you only need to go to Malyi, not Miskolc, there is a closer station at Nyekledhaza, but not all trains stop there, so you'll need to use the MAV csoport planner.

Rome2Rio.com is also useful.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Change of plan. Seems Hungarians don't like prospective buyers viewing their property at weekends so got to liaise with sister-in-law to book dates during the week. No problem for me because I'm retired but sister-in-law is freelance and quite busy!
Old Nov 7th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jetblackonetenth
Or if you fly to Debrecen the travel to Malyi is perhaps easier, a quick look showed about 24 services on a weekday and 20 of them are direct no changing services with a journey time of about 1 hour 50 mins. So you might just swap travel time at one end for travel time at the other end. It might be worth looking at flight times / costs as part of the decision.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jameswm
I live in that area. When are you going? (Or PM me rather than writing here!)

Yes, it takes about an hour by public transport/walking from the airport to Keleti, and there's no direct way (ie you have to change bus).

The train from Keleti - Miskolc is usually 2 hours but with this rail upgrade that's taking 6+ months, the rail replacement section by bus often adds time. Unless it's changed, the MAV rail replacement buses to Hatvan depart from Verseny utca.

You can use bkk's futar website or app to plan the journey from the airport to keleti.

If you only need to go to Malyi, not Miskolc, there is a closer station at Nyekledhaza, but not all trains stop there, so you'll need to use the MAV csoport planner.

Rome2Rio.com is also useful.
I thought the airport shuttle bus goes direct from the airport to Deaf Ferenc ter.?
Old Nov 8th 2019, 7:53 am
Account Closed

I thought the airport shuttle bus goes direct from the airport to Deaf Ferenc ter.?
It does.

To save that change / walk to Keleti is why I suggested the short bus hop to Ferihegy & then the change.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

jameswm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Deak Ferenc ter is 2.5km from Keleti, which is why you need to change. Or walk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.