Budapest

Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:14 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Budapest

Going to Budapest for 10 days in Easter. Can anyone recommend things must see and do during our visit?

TIA
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:38 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Budapest

Originally Posted by novita77
Going to Budapest for 10 days in Easter. Can anyone recommend things must see and do during our visit?

TIA

You could try looking Here and Here Have fun.....

And Here
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:03 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
You could try looking Here and Here Have fun.....

And Here
Thank you, have save the links
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

TIA
Hi there Nov - its been a while - hope you and the family are well.

Here are a few of jim and my favourites.

1. St. Stephen Basilica Church - even if you arent catholic or religious its worth getting lost in Budapest to visit. Hopefully the renovations will be over by now (we were there almost two years ago, and were only allowed into the back of the church.

2. There is a huge market in the middle of town, forgot the name now - with everything from soup to nuts. Fabulous place to stroll through and have a coffee and people watch. We met some fellow canadians there and spent time with them.

3. There is an indoor market as well - cant remember where, where you can purchase fresh payprika - the smells in that market are fabulous

4. Walk over the chain bridge - the kids if they are going with you will love it, going from buda to pest.

5. Heroes Square - fabulous - just walk around and drink in the atmosphere.

6. Hot baths - expensive but I understand there are wonderful.

7. There are late nite cruises up and down the danube - terribly romantic - serve champagne etc. - a little chilly at nite to bring a sweater or coat, but go up to the top of the boat and sit there - you get a fabulous view of the beautiful city.

Have a wonderful time. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Oh one more thing - you may find as we did, that the hungarians are reluctant to speak english willingly and may not always be as helpful as they could be. I loved hungary as a whole, and budapest, but didnt find the people in budapest particularly friendly in some cases, but it would never stop me from visiting again.

Last edited by willmore; Jan 21st 2009 at 11:45 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whoops, jim so very kindly reminded me that it was actually Eger where we bought the fresh paprika not Budapest......I hate it when he's right

Another thought - the parliament buildings (if you are interested in architecture) are very interesting. We're werent allowed it for the tours for some reason but its worth a quick peak. Also I can remember there being a very nice little park very closeby where you can eat a picnic lunch and feed the ducks......and relax.

Damn, I see that KO has already provided you with all the info....oh well....
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

court is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nov,

I live in Budapest currently; are you traveling with children or is it an adult holiday? The amount of things to do here are often lost in those "things to see" and do websites. They definitely are spot on for some of the tourist things and everything listed is worth seeing, but it's the hidden gems that really make this city so incredible.

Willmore, you can indeed by fresh paprika at the indoor market at Kalvin Ter, as well as in Eger.

Saint Stephen's is no longer under construction, but Matthias Church up at the Castle is. Definitely mars the skyline, unfortunately. Depending on the bath you go to the price ranges from 2500HUF-up. I think the GBP exchange rate is 314 right now. At Gellert Baths, my personal favourite, you get a wee "kisci" refund if you stay under two hours!

Cheers!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:11 pm
semarang

Hi Willmore ! long time no see Thank you for taking the time in replying , hope all are well with you xxx

COurt, we travelling with 7 yrs old boy. We thinking of staying in Best Western Hungary Hotel. Address : Rokiczi UT 90. According to my research it supposed to be walking distance to the train station and nearby shops ? Do you know much of that hotel?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

court is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Willmore ! long time no see Thank you for taking the time in replying , hope all are well with you xxx

COurt, we travelling with 7 yrs old boy. We thinking of staying in Best Western Hungary Hotel. Address : Rokiczi UT 90. According to my research it supposed to be walking distance to the train station and nearby shops ? Do you know much of that hotel?
Hi Nov,

It's a very nice hotel, but I'd caution you that Blaha Luzja Ter, where it sits, and the walk from Baross Ter (where Keleti Train Station is, so be sure you're not coming in from Nyugati - but if so, Nyugati Palyaudvar is only a quick ride up the 4-6 tramline along the korut, so!) is not quite as safe as some other parts in town. They've got reputations as being a bit seedy and places where the homeless congregate. I've never had a problem at either place (I work right off of Rakoczi ut! - 72, so very close), but at night Blaha and Keleti can both be dubious stops on the metro.

With a child, I'd say DEFINITELY go to the palace of miracles, it's a really neat hands-on museum for kids. Millenaris Park has a pretty groovy play area, too, and it's right near one of the biggest shopping malls here in BP. I'm not sure if the ice skating rink will be closed or not, but if it isn't, that's a fun place to go because the view around where it is located is stunning. The Zoo is a really good time and right across the street from Szechenyi baths, so after a hard day of walking about you can nip in there. Going on the children's railroad might be cool for your son as it is an all children run train, most about his age.

If you're more outdoorsy and want to step outside the box of walking to the castle or hiking Gellert Mountain there is Budakeszi Vadaspark, which is a walk-only games park where you can see deer, fox, boar, all along a nature trail. The Tropicarium is actually cool for all ages, but I think it's because I'm a marine biology geek.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:46 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by court
Hi Nov,

It's a very nice hotel, but I'd caution you that Blaha Luzja Ter, where it sits, and the walk from Baross Ter (where Keleti Train Station is, so be sure you're not coming in from Nyugati - but if so, Nyugati Palyaudvar is only a quick ride up the 4-6 tramline along the korut, so!) is not quite as safe as some other parts in town. They've got reputations as being a bit seedy and places where the homeless congregate. I've never had a problem at either place (I work right off of Rakoczi ut! - 72, so very close), but at night Blaha and Keleti can both be dubious stops on the metro.

With a child, I'd say DEFINITELY go to the palace of miracles, it's a really neat hands-on museum for kids. Millenaris Park has a pretty groovy play area, too, and it's right near one of the biggest shopping malls here in BP. I'm not sure if the ice skating rink will be closed or not, but if it isn't, that's a fun place to go because the view around where it is located is stunning. The Zoo is a really good time and right across the street from Szechenyi baths, so after a hard day of walking about you can nip in there. Going on the children's railroad might be cool for your son as it is an all children run train, most about his age.

If you're more outdoorsy and want to step outside the box of walking to the castle or hiking Gellert Mountain there is Budakeszi Vadaspark, which is a walk-only games park where you can see deer, fox, boar, all along a nature trail. The Tropicarium is actually cool for all ages, but I think it's because I'm a marine biology geek.

Hope that helps!
Court ... thank you ! We havent pay for the hotel ... so still can change the place. We googled and find Ibis Budapest Centrum.

Is it in the town centre, and I see from the map nearby a metro station too.

WHat do u think???

Excuse for being a pest ... be patient with me pls
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi there Nov - sorry its taken so long to get back to you.

Two more ideas:

1. The Buda castle is well worth seeing. You can take the fumigator (no thats not right - but someone will know what I mean. Its like a cable car that take you to the top of the mountain and drops you off. Your little boy will love it.

2. The subway is really worth seeing. It was originally built as a bomb shelter during the second world war, but now used as a subway. Very steep stairs or escalator down so hang on tight....but its a blast.

We found the city to be quite easy to get around.....

Have fun and dont forget to post some pics.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:39 am
semarang

Willmore thank you !!! i am excited now ... so many things to see and do.

Just concern about the hotel , it seems our first choice was a bit dodgy :-(

xxxx
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

xxxx
Funicular - thats the word I was looking for - the ride up to the castle - lots of fun........

There is also a little place called "Gerbeaud" - a cafe type place (yes its probably considered touristy), but as a special treat one day you might like to have lunch and dessert or just dessert. They have a display showing all of their desserts and when we were there, they offered samples of them. A salad and then dessert is a very generous meal. I had the chocolate cheese with real whip cream and strawberries with a hard coating of chocolate covering it (with nuts inside) - fabulous!

Its a little expensive granted - I cant remember now how much it costs, as we were meeting a canadian couple we met in budapest and they very kindly picked up the bill.

It has a lovely outdoor patio if its a nice day - just remember that the smokers will be outside, but its lovely as a special treat on your last day.

Im so glad you started this thread, its bringing back so many memories of our trip to eastern europe.

Have fun! I want to hear all about it when you return. If I remember anythng else I will let you know....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

xxxx
Hi Willmore

We go to Budapest several times a year, Love it.

We always stay on Pest side within walking distance of the river. Area around Vaci Utca or near metro Deak Ter is very convenient. Also hotels near Abdrassy utca should be fine. We have been to the Zoo which is very good and would recommend Szechenyi Baths the only thing is the water is very hot and may not be suitable for your 7 year old. The castle is definitely worth a visit.
Try some Unicum whilst you are there, very good for the digestive system!!.
Have a great time.

Cathyg
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathyg
Hi Willmore

We go to Budapest several times a year, Love it.

We always stay on Pest side within walking distance of the river. Area around Vaci Utca or near metro Deak Ter is very convenient. Also hotels near Abdrassy utca should be fine. We have been to the Zoo which is very good and would recommend Szechenyi Baths the only thing is the water is very hot and may not be suitable for your 7 year old. The castle is definitely worth a visit.
Try some Unicum whilst you are there, very good for the digestive system!!.
Have a great time.

Cathyg
Sorry should have said Andrassy Utca.

Szia...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Franz Liszt Academy of Music

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...=1154673108199
Attached Thumbnails Budapest-liszt_academy.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.