British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Bristol - soon to be Balatonfenyves (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/bristol-soon-balatonfenyves-679336/)

riahun Aug 1st 2010 10:48 pm

Bristol - soon to be Balatonfenyves

Hello,

I've just found this forum and very excited about it.:)

I am a native Hungarian and I've been living in Bristol for about 7 years now. My partner is English, he took early retirement and we are looking to relocate to Balatonfenyves in Hungary in a month's time. We bought a house with a massive garden about 2 years ago and we are now ready to do the final move.

My partner's parents are also coming with us, they are buying the house next door and they are a bit worried about not having friends there they could talk to so I am ecstatic to have found you guys.

Someone here mentioned there is a get-together for Brits around the lake. Could you give me more info on that, please? Is there a website by any chance?

Thank you for reading.

Ria

Rural Hungary Aug 2nd 2010 6:35 am

Re: Bristol - soon to be Balatonfenyves

Hi Ria and welcome to BE and the Hungarian forum
If you haven't done so already, you might like to visit the Welcome Inn for lots of useful information on using the site.
If you need any assistance, there are usually always moderators and concierges about who are more than happy to help.

There is a meeting once a month in Gyenesdias and irregular get togethers in Balatonszentgyorgy (next one I believe is the beginning of September). Once you have enough posts, I will PM you the details.

You must be really excited about the move and with one month to go; up to your eyes in organising and packing ;)
It's great that your parents-in-law are coming with you and I am sure they will love it here. There are several Brits in Balatonszentgyorgy, Balatonbereny, Mariafurdo, in fact; I think there is at least one British family in nearly every lakeside village and town on the Southside. As such, I am sure your husbands parents will soon feel right at home.

Good luck :thumbsup:

riahun Aug 2nd 2010 8:07 am

Hello Rural:)

Thank you so much for welcoming me here.

When I told Steve about this site he cheered up no end. He wanted to know if anyone had a tea van...lol

We are very busy packing, for the last two years we have been moving stuff over but we still have quite a bit left. 2 more rounds I think and we'll be there. Can't wait now.:)

Ria

hotpot Aug 2nd 2010 11:27 am

hi ria

me and my hubby retired to balatonszentgyorgy 5 years ago and still love every min we are here. i am sure yourself and extended family will soon settle here.
we have also got a massive garden and grow loads of things. the reason we wanted a big garden was to keep hubby busy and keep him out of my hair for several hours a day, and it works.

riahun Aug 2nd 2010 12:34 pm

Hello Hotpot,

You are funny.:) Steve has already bought a second hand ride-on mower and he is quite pleased with it. He claims he could even drink his tea while mowing the lawn.:)

Balatonszentgyorgy is very close to us, hopefully we can meet up every now and then. My mother-in-law is dreading the move as she loves socializing and she doesn't think she will be able to talk to anyone.

I did search for Brits at the lake about a year ago but I never found this website. Even now it was by accident. However, I am here now, so all is good.:)

Ria

Rural Hungary Aug 2nd 2010 1:16 pm

Hi Ria, there is quite a little expat commuinty in Balatonszentgyorgy now, in fact I met another this week.
(I think she is quite near you Hotpot so when I eventually get down to you I will pass on her details.)

Also, there is a couple in Mariafurdo who are friends of friends that we have in Balatonszentgyorgy so hopefully we can arrange for you and your in-laws to meet them. I was thinking of trying to organise a small get to together at the Piki Centrum in Balatonszentgyorgy for the beginning of September, will you be here by then?

riahun Aug 2nd 2010 5:06 pm

Hello Rural,

I am not quite sure yet. We will be there by the end of September and depending on the house sale of my in-laws, it might be a lot sooner. They are looking to empty their house on 27 Aug but I don't know how long the moving company will take to ship everything over.

I would expect the first few weeks to be manic as we'll have to sort everything out so don't know how we'll be doing with free time. I'll let you know how things are moving along and we'll take it from there if that's ok.

I'll definitely take you up on your offer just let us get over there first.:)

Ria

riahun Sep 30th 2010 8:34 pm

Hello again:)

At last we have arrived and quarter unpacked... Still lots to do but getting there, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.:)

I have 2 questions please. One - when is the next get together and where? I'd be grateful if someone could tell me. The other is, how do I go about registering my partner and my in-laws with the Hungarian Health Service, please? Before we left we did what we had to - can't quite remember now but filled out forms or called them on the phone. They took our Hungarian address and said everything would be fine. They took them off NHS and I thought we would be getting our cards through the post here but nothing's happened yet. Could anyone advise, please?

Thank you, all answers are very much appreciated.

Ria

Rural Hungary Sep 30th 2010 9:02 pm

Hi Riahun, great to hear that you have eventually arrived :thumbsup:

I hope it wasn't too stressful and I'm sure you will be settled in no time.
Regards expat meets, I believe there is one in Gyenesdias on Tuesday night, I can find out and PM the details.

This is from another thread:

To pay into the system we took our residency card and tax card to our local tax office and then to the health office where they issued our health cards there and then. They sent out 12 yellow checks to pay monthly but we went and set up a standing order with the bank

Good luck to you and your family :D

hotpot Oct 1st 2010 9:19 am

hi ria.

a lot depends on how old you and hubby are. and how old your in-laws are.
if your inlaws are retired you must get your residents card and your taj card which if retired you get all your treatment free but you have to pay a fee for medication which is a reduced rate. but if you are not retired then you do need private health insurance.
i think you will have to go to koposvar which is what we did.

i will pm you with my addy and phone number so if you would like a face to face chat and i can show you on the map where you have to go.

Rural Hungary Oct 1st 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Ria, next meeting is a week Tuesday, I think we are going along so PM me for details if you are interested. :D

riahun Oct 5th 2010 5:52 am

I'd like to thank everybody for the answer, you've been most helpful. Sorry I haven't got back here sooner but we are extremely busy, trying to help the in-laws and setting up our house as well, it's very time consuming. Also sorting out utilities and other stuff... Never mind, it'll be over one day.:)

I am planning on going to Kaposvar next week and see what we can do, I'll probably give them a call before we leave just in case.

Regarding the meeting, my mother-in-law was the one asking about it but at this moment of time her kitchen is being put in and should be finished this weekend hopefully. So I think we'd be better off going to the next one, sorry everybody. I keep asking and then can't make it!

Has anyone got sky or freesat here with bbc and itv and the rest, please? We bought a freesat before we left England and Steve put up a 1 metre dish but it seems we are only getting a mall part of the channels, no bbc or itv or any regular ones, just the weirdo channels. Is our dish too small? According to the box we are on astra 2a and still.

Thanks a lot again, hope you'll have a wonderful time tonight.:)

Ria

John Gilbert Oct 5th 2010 1:49 pm

Check out

http://www.wildsat.com/astra.htm

You should be able to tune into Chanel 4 & ITV 1, & watch using Other Channels on a sky box. Also channel 5 & the US 5's, again on Sky Box with simple £20 one off card.

For BBC & other ITV's on Astra d you will need massive dish over 2 meters.

See also

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Don't know about feesat box, sorry.

riahun Oct 6th 2010 6:30 am

Thanks for that John, you've been a big help. Do you know if there is any way to be on sky over here? I mean just like back in UK. Even if we need a bigger dish, that'd be our first choice. Second best is to just watch bbc and itv and so on.

Thanks again.

Ria

hotpot Oct 6th 2010 9:40 am

hi ria

yes john is right you need at least a good 2.4/8m dish to get bbc1 and 2 and it must be on astra 2d. with our freesat box we get what john said all the other channels not sure how many sky channels you can get but we subscribe to to a hungarian sky type package which costs us just under 5,000f a month and get i think it is 14 channels in english and 2 euro sport in english as well as 5 other sports channels in hungarian.
on your freesat box you can also get all the sport that is shown on bbc1 and 2 by using the red button.

but you will only need it in the winter as in the summer you are never in the house long enough to turn the tv on