Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Boldog karácsonyi és korcsolyázás Hévízen

Boldog karácsonyi és korcsolyázás Hévízen

Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boldog karácsonyi és korcsolyázás Hévízen

Just a quick post to wish you all a Happy Christmas. Last night, I was pleasantly reminded that today is Christmas day when Santa and his helper came ringing bells and knocking at our door. The children were each presented with a bag of sweets and I, the whipping sticks (not sure of their name in Hungarian)
Shame there was no snow or frost for Xmas eve as the mayor had gone to the trouble of dressing up the horse and cart on which to drive Santa round the village - a dusting of snow would have set the scene perfectly.

For those of you who are not aware, there is an ice skating rink in Heviz until March, it is 500ft (not sure how long that is for) and they have skates fro hire. We didn't know about it until the other evening and only stumbled upon it as we were out walking with a friend. With so much else to do and see in Heviz, it's an ideal day/evening out for those with children or the young at heart

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Dec 6th 2011 at 10:25 am.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:29 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boldog karácsonyi és korcsolyázás Hévízen

Having received a message asking why, in the first week of December, I am wishing folk a Happy Christmas Thought I better explain for those who don't know about the 6th of December.

Hungarian people celebrate Christmas twice! The first time is December 6th - St. Nicholas (Mikolás) Day. Traditionally, Mikolás carries a big sack full of presents and dresses in red, wears a bishop's hat and has a staff. He has a book in which the year's good and bad deeds of boys and girls are recorded. In our village, it is Santa who arrives on the 6th. Children do not hang up stockings to be filled but instead get their best boot, polish it, and put it on the windowsill for Mikolás to fill up with sweets, small presents, and "switches" (twigs) - just in case anyone has been bad. In some parts of the countryside, children dress up in traditional folk costumes and go from house to house asking to be allowed to tell the Christmas legend, they are then rewarded with a gift of money.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:03 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Yes this goes right back Mikulas (st Nicolas) and of course Tilapo (old man winter) can also deliver gifts to shoes & boots on the window sill. My dad used to do this for us in the UK in my younger days
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Similar to Germany - Nikolaustag