Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Boldog új évet and Thank You

Boldog új évet and Thank You

Old Jan 7th 2021, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boldog új évet and Thank You

I would like to thank all of you for your support and help over the years, especially 2020, when we swapped UK for Hungary.

It had been a dream of mine since meeting my wife in 2002 to move to Hungary and we did it on 23rd July 2020. As one UK friend of mine said 'Fantastic and in the middle of a pandemic'.

Moving here I learnt alot about myself and I have grown in confidence, despite the fact I'm now 61 I just wish I had this confidence decades ago! I sometimes wish we had moved here two years ago because I had had enough of the UK, work, bad neighbours issues, etc. but my NHS pension would have taken a hit so persevered until a few months to my official retirement date.

It was an incredibly stressful time when we put our UK house on the market, found a buyer and then the pandemic hit. Once we found a buyer and I was very confident they would see it to the end I started organising household content removals, dog transportation to Hungary and our flights out. There were a few times when I wondered if I was being reckless but I was very determined to move to Hungary. I had absolute confidence in trusting what I was doing. I was even prepared to still fly out if my house sale fell through because there was a second couple interested and I was prepared to drop the price further to push everything through. I had set a minimum and maximum for the price I wanted and I got the maximum which I estimated from searching similar properties in my street and nearby.

What was amazing about our last day was that for a few weeks neighbours on one side had become much more friendly which I think was down to the fact we asked them if they wanted a few things we were not taking to Hungary. On the other side one of them spoke to us and wished us luck. Interestingly, neighbours on both sides said they were really envious of us. They had enough of the UK, didn't like the direction the UK was going in and they even hated living on our street! I told them how much properties cost in Hungary and they were gobsmacked.

We have kept in touch with our UK friends but have been disappointed we have yet to have a proper video chat with a few of them!

It's been a great help that I have been coming here since 2003 so I already have some Hungarian deaf friends here and it's helped my transition here. I do need to enhance my Hungarian Sign Language and Hungarian language skills. That's been difficult because we have still yet to have a place of our own. I'm typing this sitting on an armchair in our lounge cum bedroom! That's the only private space we have here! Hopefully, come christmas we will be in our new house.

Thank you all again.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boldog új évet and Thank You

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I would like to thank all of you for your support and help over the years, especially 2020, when we swapped UK for Hungary.

It had been a dream of mine since meeting my wife in 2002 to move to Hungary and we did it on 23rd July 2020. As one UK friend of mine said 'Fantastic and in the middle of a pandemic'.

Moving here I learnt alot about myself and I have grown in confidence, despite the fact I'm now 61 I just wish I had this confidence decades ago! I sometimes wish we had moved here two years ago because I had had enough of the UK, work, bad neighbours issues, etc. but my NHS pension would have taken a hit so persevered until a few months to my official retirement date.

It was an incredibly stressful time when we put our UK house on the market, found a buyer and then the pandemic hit. Once we found a buyer and I was very confident they would see it to the end I started organising household content removals, dog transportation to Hungary and our flights out. There were a few times when I wondered if I was being reckless but I was very determined to move to Hungary. I had absolute confidence in trusting what I was doing. I was even prepared to still fly out if my house sale fell through because there was a second couple interested and I was prepared to drop the price further to push everything through. I had set a minimum and maximum for the price I wanted and I got the maximum which I estimated from searching similar properties in my street and nearby.

What was amazing about our last day was that for a few weeks neighbours on one side had become much more friendly which I think was down to the fact we asked them if they wanted a few things we were not taking to Hungary. On the other side one of them spoke to us and wished us luck. Interestingly, neighbours on both sides said they were really envious of us. They had enough of the UK, didn't like the direction the UK was going in and they even hated living on our street! I told them how much properties cost in Hungary and they were gobsmacked.

We have kept in touch with our UK friends but have been disappointed we have yet to have a proper video chat with a few of them!

It's been a great help that I have been coming here since 2003 so I already have some Hungarian deaf friends here and it's helped my transition here. I do need to enhance my Hungarian Sign Language and Hungarian language skills. That's been difficult because we have still yet to have a place of our own. I'm typing this sitting on an armchair in our lounge cum bedroom! That's the only private space we have here! Hopefully, come christmas we will be in our new house.

Thank you all again.
Just wanted to say that I'm so pleased you and Agi moved over here. It's so lovely having you both as "neighbours"
Old Jan 7th 2021, 4:00 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I am also glad that you made it here before things really went totally nuts back home. You made the right choice to come here. Here is to a totally productive 2021 for you and your wife and her family. Cheers!
Old Jan 7th 2021, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Post of the year! thank you!
Old Jan 8th 2021, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

I thank you! We arrived the same time as you so your posts on this forum have be very useful. I hope you find/build your dream home soon.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
Just wanted to say that I'm so pleased you and Agi moved over here. It's so lovely having you both as "neighbours"
Now we have a car hopefully as soon as you've had the vaccine we'll be all clear to come up to see you.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to all the posts above.