Bird watching

Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:25 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bird watching

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Ah, I see, there's a bridge over part of the lake, thanks RH.
There is a road across it, you can street view it - this time of year it is stunning.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenTiger
My brother-in-law has a sort of skiff and we did go round the lake in two of them but still didn't see any birds but we did see two naked couples in a kayak!
Dude, you gotta change your aftershave
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Azarel
something bright yellow screeched past which I thought at the time might be some kind of escaped pet. I looked it up online, based on the two-second view of it I had and bird call recordings and I'm pretty certain it was a goldern oriole!
We had one of these in the neighbourhood last year, but haven't seen or heard it at all this year. It's a shame as it's one of the most beautiful bird songs I ever heard. It's like a swanee whistle being played in gurgling water - if that's possible.

Anybody have any idea what environment they prefer? I'd like to try and encourage it back if possible.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carrot_Cruncher
We had one of these in the neighbourhood last year, but haven't seen or heard it at all this year. It's a shame as it's one of the most beautiful bird songs I ever heard. It's like a swanee whistle being played in gurgling water - if that's possible.

Anybody have any idea what environment they prefer? I'd like to try and encourage it back if possible.
They like broad leaf coppices and forests for their home but they leave and forage around these areas for food, they are relatively common out here in the east... Beautiful creatures but like most birdies far to elusive for my camera
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

Originally Posted by llareggub
They like broad leaf coppices and forests for their home but they leave and forage around these areas for food, they are relatively common out here in the east... Beautiful creatures but like most birdies far to elusive for my camera
I believe Golden Oriole are fairly common across Hungary and other countries in this region in the right kind of woodland in summer.

The male, which is yellow, is easy to recognise if out in the open. The female can be mistaken for a green woodpecker.

There is a fellow called Gorman who has authored a number of books on birds in Hungary and Central Europe - not sure what is in print.

He has a website here: http://www.probirder.com/
(I have no commercial interests)
HlFL