Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Bird Protection Law?

Bird Protection Law?

Old Jan 29th 2022, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bird Protection Law?

Is there a birds protection law?
Shortly after moving to our house noted birds had pecked away the external insulation just underneath the roof. I had plans to get it covered up/repaired before birds started using it as a home again and then painted before we start building the planned new extension. If not repaired and extension built access would be very difficult and costly.
So does anyone know where I'd stand?
There is a bird rescue organisation in our village so I may contact them if no one knows the answer.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bird Protection Law?

There is bird protection along with other wildlife and plants. Each species under protection is given a theoretical value per each which makes fines for contravention easy. The greater the protection level the higher the value.
Having said that there is nothing to stop you repairing damage done by wildlife if the wildlife is not disturbed or destroyed in the process. So get on and repair the damage before the birds arrive back from their winter holidays. (possibly swallows)
By the way mice love the external insulation material but don't chew through the render on top of the insulation so don't delay with the repairs.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
There is bird protection along with other wildlife and plants. Each species under protection is given a theoretical value per each which makes fines for contravention easy. The greater the protection level the higher the value.
Having said that there is nothing to stop you repairing damage done by wildlife if the wildlife is not disturbed or destroyed in the process. So get on and repair the damage before the birds arrive back from their winter holidays. (possibly swallows)
By the way mice love the external insulation material but don't chew through the render on top of the insulation so don't delay with the repairs.
The birds are already back. Noted this morning. We know a guy who can do it but we'd have to arrange for a platform as its so high up. He might have meant scaffolding. I've gathered it's expensive.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
The birds are already back. Noted this morning. We know a guy who can do it but we'd have to arrange for a platform as its so high up. He might have meant scaffolding. I've gathered it's expensive.
If it is a hole made by birds I would have thought it could be done with a ladder. I have done a whole wall by means of a ladder,
How high and how big is the damage?

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jan 29th 2022 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

If it is a hole made by birds I would have thought it could be done with a ladder. I have done a whole wall by means of a ladder,
How high and how big is the damage?
The highest point of the apex roof is about 9m. All damage seems to be on the right hand side, zilch on left hand side. I tool a photo shortly after we moved here but they are on my laptop which I'll check tomorrow. I think the guy who mentioned a platform or scaffolding was referring to the painting side of things. External insulation is about 10 cm thick but would need go right up there to see what damage has been done. I'm okay with heights. I'm not sure how to fill the damage and I'd rather use a platform than a ladder due to mot wanting to lean to far away from the ladder. I think one of my local friends might have a very long ladder so might be able to borrow it from him.
I've actually thought I could do the painting of exterior walls myself and to be honest trust myself to do a better job!
Old Jan 30th 2022, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

The highest point of the apex roof is about 9m. All damage seems to be on the right hand side, zilch on left hand side. I tool a photo shortly after we moved here but they are on my laptop which I'll check tomorrow. I think the guy who mentioned a platform or scaffolding was referring to the painting side of things. External insulation is about 10 cm thick but would need go right up there to see what damage has been done. I'm okay with heights. I'm not sure how to fill the damage and I'd rather use a platform than a ladder due to mot wanting to lean to far away from the ladder. I think one of my local friends might have a very long ladder so might be able to borrow it from him.
I've actually thought I could do the painting of exterior walls myself and to be honest trust myself to do a better job!
I had to have some bricks replaced on one of my chimneys and the external part repointed last year. The builder that did it just used a long ladder. And last week I watched workmen retiling the roof of the house opposite to mine. Not a single piece of scaffolding in sight!

I have a very long extendable ladder if you need one. My son bought it years ago when he was doing work on the roof. No idea though how you'll manage to transport it?

If the damage is to the polystyrene insulation then you could probably repair it with a polystyrene foam gun.
Old Jan 30th 2022, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
If the damage is to the polystyrene insulation then you could probably repair it with a polystyrene foam gun.
Years ago I bought a ladder stand off. They hold the top of the ladder about 18" off the wall - invaluable for doing gutters etc.and would do well for repairing the insulation at the eaves. Google Létra távtartó.
For the repair as Sachina said if the damage is not too large an area repair the damage with squirty foam.
First mask off the eaves where you don't want the foam to stick then fill the damage with foam. The foam will over flow. The next day trim back the foam (I use a hacksaw blade) and then cover the foam with EPS adhesive and render to a thickness of 3mm. After a couple of days the render can be primed and painted.
There should be no gap between the insulation and the eaves otherwise wildlife will get in and damage the insulation.
If the foam overspills it is best to leave it to set before removing. If you try to wipe it off whilst fresh it just smears all over, sticks to everything and makes a horrible mess.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Years ago I bought a ladder stand off. They hold the top of the ladder about 18" off the wall - invaluable for doing gutters etc.and would do well for repairing the insulation at the eaves. Google Létra távtartó.
For the repair as Sachina said if the damage is not too large an area repair the damage with squirty foam.
First mask off the eaves where you don't want the foam to stick then fill the damage with foam. The foam will over flow. The next day trim back the foam (I use a hacksaw blade) and then cover the foam with EPS adhesive and render to a thickness of 3mm. After a couple of days the render can be primed and painted.
There should be no gap between the insulation and the eaves otherwise wildlife will get in and damage the insulation.
If the foam overspills it is best to leave it to set before removing. If you try to wipe it off whilst fresh it just smears all over, sticks to everything and makes a horrible mess.
Ladder stand off - this would definitely be very useful. I will see what my local friend has and then if he hasn't got one buy one.
I have used the expanding foam stuff before to block a hole in a conservatory wall which a previous owner had used for a waste water outlet for a washing machine. I didn't realise how much the foam would expand so had to cut quite a bit back! Ha ha!
Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I had to have some bricks replaced on one of my chimneys and the external part repointed last year. The builder that did it just used a long ladder. And last week I watched workmen retiling the roof of the house opposite to mine. Not a single piece of scaffolding in sight!

I have a very long extendable ladder if you need one. My son bought it years ago when he was doing work on the roof. No idea though how you'll manage to transport it?

I haven't got a roof rack and I think my car probably isn't long enough if I had one for a ladder.

I have a filler gun ..... hope it's the same size as the polystyrene foam cartridges.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I have a filler gun ..... hope it's the same size as the polystyrene foam cartridges.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same type of gun. The foam I am suggesting is polyurethane foam (known as purhab here) and comes in pressurised cans which either use a gun where the can screws to the gun or a different type of can for use without a gun a bit like a normal aerosol can with a tube to aid locating the foam
Old Jan 31st 2022, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not sure we are talking about the same type of gun. The foam I am suggesting is polyurethane foam (known as purhab here) and comes in pressurised cans which either use a gun where the can screws to the gun or a different type of can for use without a gun a bit like a normal aerosol can with a tube to aid locating the foam
Ah, our window fitters used the "normal aerosol" can. Think that would be much better as I find the cartridge style guns a bit wieldy!
Old Jan 31st 2022, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got a roof rack and I think my car probably isn't long enough if I had one for a ladder.

The filler guns don't cost a fortune, You'll find them in Praktiker or OBI. If you don't have much to fill, you could just buy a cartridge like this which comes with its own gun.

https://www.soudal.hu/pro/termekek/p...udafoam-fr-gun

Old Jan 31st 2022, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

The filler guns don't cost a fortune, You'll find them in Praktiker or OBI. If you don't have much to fill, you could just buy a cartridge like this which comes with its own gun.

https://www.soudal.hu/pro/termekek/p...udafoam-fr-gun