Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Before & After Photos

Before & After Photos

Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Before & After Photos

I thought I would share a couple of before and after photos of the outside of our house, just to show that you can make a 'wreck' a home
Attached Thumbnails Before & After Photos-hungary-feb-2011-022.jpg   Before & After Photos-renovation-002.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Before & After Photos

And not forgetting the terrifying state of the back wall - note to others who are thinking of buying a house - don't buy one that looks like this
Attached Thumbnails Before & After Photos-hungary-polgardi-113.jpg   Before & After Photos-renovation-005.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2012, 8:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
And not forgetting the terrifying state of the back wall - note to others who are thinking of buying a house - don't buy one that looks like this
So pleased you got there and I'm sure you feel it was worth it in the end :-)

I want to play this game but can't find the before - only the after, will keep looking.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:35 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Found some:

they wanted modern whilst retaining some character - done on a budget

Living room - damp, rotten joists and boards

Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:39 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Kitchen: Damp, holes in walls, walls so far out and leaning you wouldn't believe it!

Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Exterior: collapsing gable, rotten trusses, no guttering, old asbestos porch

It was a challenge but I do love working with this type of house
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:05 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would share a couple of before and after photos of the outside of our house, just to show that you can make a 'wreck' a home
Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Exterior: collapsing gable, rotten trusses, no guttering, old asbestos porch
It was a challenge but I do love working with this type of house
Wow, terrific before and after pics. Must have taken a ton of work, but by the looks of the after pics well worth it.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Tomsky2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

great pics hoping we dont have any like that lol but if we do we know who to call..lol
I do like the long houses
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Great photos Rural. I have to say they made me laugh (not in a horrible way but more of an 'I have been there' chuckle). The following is a picture of the old pantry (or palinka cupboard) which we then knocked through to make a bathroom (sans old palinka) :-)
Attached Thumbnails Before & After Photos-hungary-polgardi-090.jpg   Before & After Photos-renovation-011.jpg  
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:48 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Sue
Wow, terrific before and after pics. Must have taken a ton of work, but by the looks of the after pics well worth it.
Thanks Sue, our one was for a client and done on a tight budget and a very tight time frame - lost count of the number of times I cursed that I would never work on an adobe house again but seeing the results, I think it was all worth it - not sure the other half would say the same
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Great photos Rural. I have to say they made me laugh (not in a horrible way but more of an 'I have been there' chuckle). The following is a picture of the old pantry (or palinka cupboard) which we then knocked through to make a bathroom (sans old palinka) :-)
I always knew you were a closet palinka lover Great photos and shows just what can be done with the old houses - shame more people don't have the vision to see what they could be. We have one across the road from us and it could be stunning, it's only about £3,000 but people see the cracks, the grass growing out the earth walls and run a mile
We found this one for the owner and inspected it, so she knew what to expect. The only surprise (as you know there are always surprises with the adobe houses ) was the gable end - as in the photo - it had been covered with undergrowth and the toilet was built against the wall so it wasn't until everything was removed that the extent of the damage became apparent. There were no foundations under the gable and the rats had made a honeycomb structure of runs under the wall so it was slowly sinking, though saveable. It was underpinned and the bottom rebuilt then rendered with lime render, one buttress was built on the corner - I like your buttresses. Will get a photo later of the finished wall. A lot of work but worth it I think as the house is over a hundred years old and would have been a shame to lose it - the cottage is set in it's own orchard with around 90 fruit trees, it's really lovely.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I always knew you were a closet palinka lover .
I should be by now, but actually I cannot stand the stuff Fortunately I love Hungarian white wine so have used that as a balm for our many troubles
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:34 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I should be by now, but actually I cannot stand the stuff Fortunately I love Hungarian white wine so have used that as a balm for our many troubles
The only palatable one I have found is a honey palinka but ditto, glass of white for me
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

kohoutek is an unknown quantity at this point

I always knew you were a closet palinka lover Great photos and shows just what can be done with the old houses - shame more people don't have the vision to see what they could be. We have one across the road from us and it could be stunning, it's only about £3,000 but people see the cracks, the grass growing out the earth walls and run a mile
We found this one for the owner and inspected it, so she knew what to expect. The only surprise (as you know there are always surprises with the adobe houses ) was the gable end - as in the photo - it had been covered with undergrowth and the toilet was built against the wall so it wasn't until everything was removed that the extent of the damage became apparent. There were no foundations under the gable and the rats had made a honeycomb structure of runs under the wall so it was slowly sinking, though saveable. It was underpinned and the bottom rebuilt then rendered with lime render, one buttress was built on the corner - I like your buttresses. Will get a photo later of the finished wall. A lot of work but worth it I think as the house is over a hundred years old and would have been a shame to lose it - the cottage is set in it's own orchard with around 90 fruit trees, it's really lovely.
Rural, How about posting some pics of the one opposite for sale..............LOL

Michael
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by kohoutek
Rural, How about posting some pics of the one opposite for sale..............LOL

Michael
No can do, I would get a slap on the wrist as we are only allowed to carry a link to any services we offer beneath our posts.

That said, there are many properties like these, in my village alone there are three I know of for sale and another three or four which aren't on the market. They are always relatively inexpensive. Problem is, most Hungarians aren't interested in buying and restoring old traditional properties - similar thing happened in Ireland and many British buyers run a mile the minute they see a 2cm crack in a wall. As such, the majority of these properties have been renovated by Germans can't seem to get enough of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.