Bees or Hornets

Old May 12th 2021, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bees or Hornets

We are seeing alot of bees or wasps. I'm not sure what they are but seem to be about 1-1.5" long! Hornets?

I have no idea if there is a nest in any of the outbuildings. Cannot see any.
Old May 13th 2021, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bees or Hornets

Originally Posted by FenTiger
We are seeing alot of bees or wasps. I'm not sure what they are but seem to be about 1-1.5" long! Hornets?

I have no idea if there is a nest in any of the outbuildings. Cannot see any.
1.5" long is going to be a hornet.
This time of year the queens will have come out of hibernation and will probably have found a nest site and be growing the nest. My experience of them is that they are not aggressive unless attacked or you get too close to their nest however they will cause a lot of damage to fruit later on and will/can cause a lot of damage to bees because they are also predators. If you can spot the nest it is probably best to get rid of it now before it gets too big. The nests are usually under cover often where a horizontal and vertical surface meet with easy access, so in attics, sheds and alike.
Old May 13th 2021, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to keep an eye out on where they are flying from and to. I've never seen bees/hornets that big. I looked up an old thread on here whereby someone got stung on the head. Sounded very painful!
Old May 13th 2021, 8:39 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

The standard hornets usually leave you alone as long as you stay away from their nest.

European hornet

Let us hope these things never appear here.

These are the Asian hornet and they are fierce and can be deadly .

These can get about 5.5cm long and can sting through a standard bee keepers suite.
Old May 13th 2021, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered these in the smoking room at the back of the summer kitchen and have left them there for now ... not sure wether they were once home to wasps or hornets though ...

Old May 13th 2021, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Those are old hornets nests. Don't worry they are safe to remove because they are never reused - it's new build every year. Oh and if that is your smoking room, looking at the state of the walls you must have got through a lot of fags!
Old May 13th 2021, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, well ciggies are cheap here !!
I discovered the nests quite some time ago and have left them for now so they don't get damaged ... I may get creative with them and some perspex boxes later ... !