British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Bees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/bees-798084/)

Pollypaprika May 25th 2013 5:07 pm

Bees

I was just asked if there was a decline in the bee population in Hungary like there is in other countries (notably the UK). I have to say I have seen more bees here in our garden but it might just be that I notice them more as am outside more than I am in the UK. Does anyone know? :unsure:

Rural Hungary May 26th 2013 9:50 am

Re: Bees

Originally Posted by Polgardi (Post 10724401)
I was just asked if there was a decline in the bee population in Hungary like there is in other countries (notably the UK). I have to say I have seen more bees here in our garden but it might just be that I notice them more as am outside more than I am in the UK. Does anyone know? :unsure:

There are several beekeepers near us and I assume this is why we see a lot of bees. Like you, seen more here than I ever did in the UK.

judybaby May 26th 2013 12:41 pm

When we were first out in the garden this year weeding, planting etc and the trees were all in blossom, the humming of the bees was really loud. We went for a walk up in to our field where all the fruit trees are and the trees were absolutely full of bees.

It really was all you could hear for a few weeks, we even had several of the the bee eater birds all at once in the garden, what a sight that was a s they are so pretty.

Rural Hungary May 26th 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Polgardi (Post 10724401)
I have to say I have seen more bees here in our garden but it might just be that I notice them more as am outside more than I am in the UK.

Just been out weeding, before the hailstones struck, the raspberry bushes were full of honey bees so there doesn't seem to be a shortage here :D

llareggub May 27th 2013 11:07 am

I believe the population decline is a global phenomena but as with everyone else who has posted here not something we have noticed, the minute our trees burst into blossom we are surrounded with the glorious sound of honey bees. One of my favourite times to head out with my camera in search of that elusive bee in flight shot, I keep getting closer but not quite there yet :)

http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/wp-co...IMG_1116wm.jpg

http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/wp-co...IMG_1169wm.jpg

Mike and Janet May 27th 2013 1:26 pm

I think I am right in saying that the Austrian government has within the last two weeks agreed to ban the use of DDT at long last,so this should help the Bees in our part of the world!!!!!

Rural Hungary May 27th 2013 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by llareggub (Post 10726614)
One of my favourite times to head out with my camera in search of that elusive bee in flight shot, I keep getting closer but not quite there yet :)

Lovely photos Brian, wish my daughter would take up nature shots as after four years at uni, fashion work is thin on the ground:(

llareggub May 27th 2013 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 10726815)
Lovely photos Brian, wish my daughter would take up nature shots as after four years at uni, fashion work is thin on the ground:(

I don't like photographing people but there are a few opportunities out here, I get approached through my website occasionally but always turn them down... The important part is networking and being part of the scene (yawn), has she tried looking on Model Mayhem? The jobs will not be paid but I am sure there plenty of "models" willing to do TFP in the Balaton area and once she gets a good reputation from there she should be able to do something a little more tailored to her niche :)

Rural Hungary May 27th 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by llareggub (Post 10726918)
I don't like photographing people but there are a few opportunities out here, I get approached through my website occasionally but always turn them down... The important part is networking and being part of the scene (yawn), has she tried looking on Model Mayhem? The jobs will not be paid but I am sure there plenty of "models" willing to do TFP in the Balaton area and once she gets a good reputation from there she should be able to do something a little more tailored to her niche :)

Hi, yes she used models from Model Mayhem during her course and she has done internships, shoots for other students, touch up work etc but when going for a paying job, they all want "industry experience" - a vicious circle. Currently, she is still in Kent but it looks like she might have to move to London to become "part of the scene" and as she hates London, it's not ideal. Expense is another obstacle as she would love to go freelance but as you'll know, lenses, macros and lighting are expensive. :(

llareggub May 27th 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 10726971)
Hi, yes she used models from Model Mayhem during her course and she has done internships, shoots for other students, touch up work etc but when going for a paying job, they all want "industry experience" - a vicious circle. Currently, she is still in Kent but it looks like she might have to move to London to become "part of the scene" and as she hates London, it's not ideal. Expense is another obstacle as she would love to go freelance but as you'll know, lenses, macros and lighting are expensive. :(

Ah the joys of yesteryear... There are really no quick answers, I thought she was over here in Hungary hence the Model Mayhem suggestion, there is quite a "thriving" Hungarian section.

London is fun whilst you are young but you do have the expense hurdle to climb if you are from somewhere else in the UK, I only took up photography when I left the UK but was involved in the visual arts when I was in my late teens through to late 20's. I was lucky and did alright, I saw lots more people producing better stuff than I did and they never even made a dent, working in the creative sphere is more about making a noise than ability or education.

capricorn2013 May 27th 2013 5:23 pm

Hi Rural,
Off message but my daughter is a keen photographer and has managed to sell photos on Etsy - mostly moody black and white shots of Brighton and Iceland to people in America and Canada.

There is a photography job going in the Science Museum in London - 12 month contract paying about £22k.

Good luck. :)

Rural Hungary May 27th 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks both, coincidentally, she applied for the museum job but didn't get selected for interview (living in Kent goes against her for so many London jobs - hence realising she might need to move).
She has had a few interviews over the past few weeks but no luck so far though at least she is getting interviews, one of the lads she went to uni with, I think he did model making, has applied for over 50 jobs and is yet to get an interview. As you said Brian, it's about contacts in the arts and no matter how good you are or how hard you work, getting that initial break is difficult for the majority of graduates.

Taking it swiftly back on topic, perhaps she should take up bee keeping in Kent and help boost the UK bee population - wonder if there are grants available?

capricorn2013 May 27th 2013 9:41 pm

My daughter is an illustrator but is having to work at Hampton Court Palace to pay the bills. She moved back to London as you don't stand much chance of a job in London if you don't live there. She is using her spare time to go to as many arts shows and gallery events as possible to build up contacts.
Times are hard at the moment but particularly for young people.