British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Bed headboard (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/bed-headboard-938085/)

FenTiger Apr 12th 2021 3:47 am

Bed headboard

We need to buy a bed headboard for our double bed we've brought over. We didn't have one on our bed in the UK due to the layout of our bedroom which would have meant a smaller gap at the end of the bed. There's two holes for bolting the bed headboard to the bed base but what are the chances they won't be in alignment with one bought in Hungary? Will the bolts supplied be the right size and thread?
An alternative is to fix one to the wall.
With our bed being stored elsewhere and right at the back of everything else we can't measure up until everything in front has been moved to our new house.

Peter_in_Hungary Apr 13th 2021 9:34 am

Re: Bed headboard

I've not seen any bedheads sold separately.- however if you want a fairly simple wooden headboard it should be possible to get one made up locally or DIY. Planned timber is readily available and it would be fairly simple to make one up. for a material covered or padded one then you would need to find an upholsterer (Hungarian - kárpitos)
The bolt holes I would expect to be metric and so should be no problem, (unless the bed is quite old)

FenTiger Apr 13th 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12994622)
I've not seen any bedheads sold separately.- however if you want a fairly simple wooden headboard it should be possible to get one made up locally or DIY. Planned timber is readily available and it would be fairly simple to make one up. for a material covered or padded one then you would need to find an upholsterer (Hungarian - kárpitos)
The bolt holes I would expect to be metric and so should be no problem, (unless the bed is quite old)

We have a carpenter friend who is a friend of someone who does upholstery and we had already planned to get him to do some upholstery but I never though about the headboard too!
:-)

Sachina Apr 14th 2021 5:54 am

If you do a google search for example "bed headboard hu" it will come up with several companies, mainly in Budapest who sell headboards. They're expensive though so it might be cheaper to get your friend to make one for you.

FenTiger Apr 14th 2021 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 12995060)
If you do a google search for example "bed headboard hu" it will come up with several companies, mainly in Budapest who sell headboards. They're expensive though so it might be cheaper to get your friend to make one for you.

I'm opting to get my friends to make something.

FenTiger May 3rd 2022 10:31 am

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d2e963dc7d.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...1a8fb75ba7.jpg
Yay, new bed headboard made by local deaf friend.

Peter_in_Hungary May 3rd 2022 2:03 pm

Looks good ! A result.
(Did it come with a foot board as well?)

FenTiger May 3rd 2022 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13112083)
Looks good ! A result.
(Did it come with a foot board as well?)

Nope, just the headboard.
When the guy was fitting the headboard I removed two underbed drawers and found two old photo albums from early 1980's which had slipped over the top of the drawers. And a newspaper from 1976. The bed isn't that old!!! There's another two wider draws so am going to have a look if anything else had slipped over the top of those drawers.

Jack_Russells4ever May 3rd 2022 2:44 pm

Very Nice job they did for you. With that headboard I think if it were me I would add a footboard as well.

Lorna at Vicenza May 3rd 2022 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 13112098)
Very Nice job they did for you. With that headboard I think if it were me I would add a footboard as well.

A footboard would look good but my dad is 6 ft 3 and although he loves my huge Italian "matrimonial" bed, he would hate a footboard because it is restrictive to him strectching out and sticking his feet out if he so wishes.

FenTiger May 3rd 2022 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 13112101)
A footboard would look good but my dad is 6 ft 3 and although he loves my huge Italian "matrimonial" bed, he would hate a footboard because it is restrictive to him strectching out and sticking his feet out if he so wishes.

My feet sometimes dangle over the edge of the bed.

FenTiger May 3rd 2022 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 13112098)

Haven't used a headboard and footboard since first buying the base so maybe at a future date.

enter May 3rd 2022 3:45 pm

JYSK do headboards

Jack_Russells4ever May 3rd 2022 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13112103)
My feet sometimes dangle over the edge of the bed.

I have a different problem I am short at 5ft 6 and my problem is 3 small dogs (Beagle, a mixed breed terrier about the size of a Fox terrier and a heinz 57 mutt) that think they should sleep like they are 3 huge dogs and leave me barely anyroom on my king size bed. If I move to the bed in the other room or the sofa they follow me and smother me in there. Sometimes I am almost entirely dangling at the edge of a bed. If I thow them outside or lock them out of my room the Beagle starts baying....not a pleasant sound at 2am or anytime for that matter. I have considered a bunk bed..
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0ba1b94d0a.jpg
My gang of bed hogs. That innocent looking Beagle presently rules the roost.

FenTiger May 4th 2022 3:40 am

Our bed is normal size. Out of two dogs, only one would sleep on the bed, usually the younger one. At this point in time our GSD is still crated overnight but we're working towards getting rid of it. The crate is at the edge of our bed. When that's gone we'll put our large footstool there so either would still be near.

Great idea to buy a bunk bed but be warned I've seen videos of dogs climbing up bunk bed ladders. :(