Banks

Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

GMC girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banks

Does anyone know if Barclays, HSBC r MNBA operate in Hungary or have partner banks out there?
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks

Barclays - No
Old Jul 31st 2017, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Wikipedia is your pal - and mine !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Hungary
Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the info. New bank it is then
Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

GMC girl please let me know how you get on.

I went into OTP in Zalaegerszeg and they wanted my tax number!. I did not have it with me. I know from documentation supplied by the tax office that they use the NI number. The fellow insisted I need a 9 digit number (I think it was nine anyway). The chap would not be swayed any which way.

I subsequently phoned the tax office in the UK and was told that they did not know what I was talking about and that I should not need a tax number to open a bank account in Hungary. How they know I have no idea.

I just want to know if it was perhaps just the hole in a suit that was playing god or if indeed this is something new or just applicable at that branch/bank.

Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBA77

I went into OTP in Zalaegerszeg and they wanted my tax number!. I did not have it with me. I know from documentation supplied by the tax office that they use the NI number. The fellow insisted I need a 9 digit number (I think it was nine anyway). The chap would not be swayed any which way.

I subsequently phoned the tax office in the UK and was told that they did not know what I was talking about and that I should not need a tax number to open a bank account in Hungary. How they know I have no idea.

I just want to know if it was perhaps just the hole in a suit that was playing god or if indeed this is something new or just applicable at that branch/bank.

Thanks
I have just contacted via email to ask the question what documents you need to open a Bank account,informing them that a british person was asked for their Tax number. I assume the answer will come in a few days,I will let you know when the facts arrive.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBA77

Thanks
I opened an account with OTP with just a Hungarian (temporary correspondence) address and my passport, mind you that was 3 years ago.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Back from church service early. Just too hot for that at the moment.

Thanks Enter & Expatrick
Old Aug 5th 2017, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

We have been told it was only proof of address & passport we would need. will let you know
Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enter
I have just contacted via email to ask the question what documents you need to open a Bank account,informing them that a british person was asked for their Tax number. I assume the answer will come in a few days,I will let you know when the facts arrive.
Hre is reply from OTP:

In case of personal visit of the branch the Customer identification shall be performed based on presentation of the following official documents:
- For inland natural persons: personal identification card; ID card and official card certifying the address together; passport and official card certifying the address together; new type driving license card and official card certifying the address together.
- For foreign natural persons: passport; personal identification card if it authorizes residence in Hungary; a document evidencing the right of residence or a valid residence permit.

Additionally new clients are required to make a written declaration on their residence for tax purposes, without exception. (https://www.otpbank.hu/static/portal...N_20170601.pdf)

In what fallows we will stand to your disposition with our banking services.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting, so if we want to open an account, hopefully house documents, passport, UK driving licence for ID should suffice.

We would not be able to move out until this house is sold.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Both passport and driving licence should not be needed. What SHOULD be needed is some sort of photographic ID and proof of address, Note the semicolons between the various options of ID for inland (?) persons. Its a bit Hunglish so its not an official translation but a member of the office staff probably aided and abetted by google translate!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi Peter, do you mean in the form of a residency card? I realise we will need a bank account there before we come out to pay utilities etc, so please forgive the confusion.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GMC girl - When I recently opened my OTP bank account, I took along my UK passport and the contract from my house purchase which obviously had my Hungarian address on it and both of these seemed to be required and were copied… this was before I had my residency card. It was relatively straightforward to do, the only problem being that there wasn't a single member of staff in the branch that could speak English so I had to take a Hungarian speaker along to translate for me !
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GMC girl
Hi Peter, do you mean in the form of a residency card? I realise we will need a bank account there before we come out to pay utilities etc, so please forgive the confusion.
A passport and an acceptable proof of address should be enough. Its the EU regs to counter money laundering that require the banks to assure themselves that the new client is genuine. In the UK it is usually a photo type ID and a utility bill in your name. Here it is a passport for foreigners and proof of address (utility bill ?) and for Hungarians their ID card and their address card (Lakcím card) If you get an address card with your residency card and the residency card has a photo then that should be enough, otherwise a passport + residency card + address card. The problem is that the banks are scared of the regulators and the staff don't know the rules so they tend to ask for everything and then your hat size - and when you go back the next member of staff will want your shoe size and not your hat size !!

(I don't have a residency card, I have a green ID card)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.