Bank Fraud

Old Aug 17th 2023, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank Fraud

A few days ago my wife received an SMS from her bank to contact them. She suspected it was spam so ignored it. Next thing her bank card was blocked. Puzzled she decided to check her account on the bank app. There were two transactions, both converted to 33.000 forints from Sterling, for an online order to Just Eat in London! My wife hasn't left Hungary for over three years. The bank app has a 24/7 urgent matters contact option either via chat or send a message. The instructions on the app are all in English so I typed an appropriate message to alert them to fraudulent use of my wife's bank card. My wife, also the next day, went to her bank to sort out unblocking her bank card. Thankfully, both transactions have been removed but to unblock her bank card she had to telephone Budapest! My wife explained she couldn't do that because she is deaf. Their response was they are not allowed to make telephone calls for customers! So her sister will telephone Budapest!

If the European Accessibility Act had already been implemented in Hungary they would be in breach of the act by not providing an option to telephone or contact Budapest. (EAA - as at July 2022, no idea since).

I don't often check my bank accounts but I'm definitely going to do this atleast weekly.
Old Aug 17th 2023, 1:34 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Fraud

I feel your pain Nick, I had the same thing happen to me with my bank account recently, My bank blocked both my cards because someone tried to make a charge to a site called Only Fans in London also. Whomever it was did not have the correct billing post code which triggered the block. I never heard of the site and when I looked it up online it some type of video streaming site for I think prostitutes showing oof theirselves undressed.. Definietely not something I am interested in. My bank had to send me new cards, thankfully I had another card from elsewhere to get my by till the new cards arrived. My bank is not a Hungarian or UK based bank. Online criminals are everywhere these days.
Old Aug 17th 2023, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Two decades ago I went to Cyprus. Everything, flights and accommodation was booked online. I think it was through Expedia. Shortly after I got home I had a letter from my bank fraud department asking me to contact them. Turned out someone ordered US $ 7,000 of catering equipment in the US on my credit card. I was nowhere near the US and have never visited the country. All cancelled and the transaction was deleted.

Back to my wife's banking. She often orders things online and there were two purchases from Hungarian companies who turned a deaf ear to her requests for refunds because the sizes she ordered did not seem to match what she ordered and comparing like for like weren't "standard", a size smaller to be specific. Despite repeated emails to the suppliers she was returning them they never got back to her. I suspect one of those two companies employees were the ones who copied my wife's bank card details and used it in London. My wife has a very low income so she's decided to cut back on ordering online. As to myself I've never had any issues ordering within Hungary or Germany((Amazon.de).

Last edited by FenTiger; Aug 17th 2023 at 2:11 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2023, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
A few days ago my wife received an SMS from her bank to contact them. She suspected it was spam so ignored it. Next thing her bank card was blocked. Puzzled she decided to check her account on the bank app. There were two transactions, both converted to 33.000 forints from Sterling, for an online order to Just Eat in London! My wife hasn't left Hungary for over three years. The bank app has a 24/7 urgent matters contact option either via chat or send a message. The instructions on the app are all in English so I typed an appropriate message to alert them to fraudulent use of my wife's bank card. My wife, also the next day, went to her bank to sort out unblocking her bank card. Thankfully, both transactions have been removed but to unblock her bank card she had to telephone Budapest! My wife explained she couldn't do that because she is deaf. Their response was they are not allowed to make telephone calls for customers! So her sister will telephone Budapest!

If the European Accessibility Act had already been implemented in Hungary they would be in breach of the act by not providing an option to telephone or contact Budapest. (EAA - as at July 2022, no idea since).

I don't often check m y bank accounts but I'm definitely going to do this atleast weekly.
I can phone my bank's Head Office in Budapest and leave a message for them to phone me back. Their Miskolc branch has also phoned the Head Office in Budapest when I had a query about my debit card.

Last edited by Sachina; Aug 17th 2023 at 5:26 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2023, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

When I make purchases on line I get a SMS sent to my phone part way through the payment which I then have to enter for the payment process to proceed so without my phone the payment fails. I could choose to have the SMS sent email but then the fraudsters would need access to my email.

If I want to make a (largish) transfer from my UK bank then I get a phone call from the bank asking all sorts of questions to ensure that the transfer is not as the result of a scam. - I really have to persuade them that it is not a scam. I don't mind 'cos its all part of the safety system. The only downside is that if I miss the pone call the bank don't try again and the transfer is cancelled.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
When I make purchases on line I get a SMS sent to my phone part way through the payment which I then have to enter for the payment process to proceed so without my phone the payment fails. I could choose to have the SMS sent email but then the fraudsters would need access to my email.

If I want to make a (largish) transfer from my UK bank then I get a phone call from the bank asking all sorts of questions to ensure that the transfer is not as the result of a scam. - I really have to persuade them that it is not a scam. I don't mind 'cos its all part of the safety system. The only downside is that if I miss the pone call the bank don't try again and the transfer is cancelled.

Bingo ..... I get an 'Approve' request from my Hungarian bank when purchasing online so it's strange my wife didn't receive a message. Probably because the transaction was in UK.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Incredulous! Sister-in-law just called my wife's bank in Budapest. They refused to accept Sister-in-law was calling on behalf of my deaf wife!
I'm closing my bank account with them next week.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=FenTiger;13210203]Incredulous! Sister-in-law just called my wife's bank in Budapest. They refused to accept Sister-in-law was calling on behalf of my deaf wife!
I'm closing my bank account with them next week.[/QUOTE

Not really surpising. The bank has no proof that the person at the other end of the phone is related to your wife. I have the same problem in that my UK bank won't accept phone calls or emails from me in Hungary. Perhaps you should do as I have done which is to give my DIL (who also has an account with them) authority to act on my behalf. It's not the same as power of attorney. I tell her what I want, and she conveys my wishes to the bank, who first naturally checkwhether shes's genuine.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

A hazard of the times, unfortunately ... some years ago when I was renting a villa long term in Bali, I bought something for the villa from a small electrical store and used my credit card which never left my sight but that didn't make any difference ... I returned to the UK a week later and called into a supermarket to stock up on supplies and used the same credit card, fortunately. I received a call from the credit card company within the hour asking me to confirm where I was ... I confirmed that I had just returned to the UK after having been in Bali for six months ... it transpired that my purchase in the supermarket had been flagged as someone was simultaneously making a purchase on my card in Java ! I confirmed that I hadn't been staying in expensive hotels or buying jewellery in Java and obviously I couldn't be in two continents at the same time so it was clear that my card had been cloned ! It was fortunate that I used that card on my return to the UK otherwise it would have been more of an ordeal to get it sorted out ... the credit card company blocked the card, cancelled the fraudulent transactions and issued me with a new card ...
Old Aug 18th 2023, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Sachina;13210211]
Incredulous! Sister-in-law just called my wife's bank in Budapest. They refused to accept Sister-in-law was calling on behalf of my deaf wife!
I'm closing my bank account with them next week.[/QUOTE

Not really surpising. The bank has no proof that the person at the other end of the phone is related to your wife. I have the same problem in that my UK bank won't accept phone calls or emails from me in Hungary. Perhaps you should do as I have done which is to give my DIL (who also has an account with them) authority to act on my behalf. It's not the same as power of attorney. I tell her what I want, and she conveys my wishes to the bank, who first naturally checkwhether shes's genuine.
My wife will go to the Miskolc branch on Monday with her sister. I'm going to join them after my physiotherapy session.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
A hazard of the times, unfortunately ... some years ago when I was renting a villa long term in Bali, I bought something for the villa from a small electrical store and used my credit card which never left my sight but that didn't make any difference ... I returned to the UK a week later and called into a supermarket to stock up on supplies and used the same credit card, fortunately. I received a call from the credit card company within the hour asking me to confirm where I was ... I confirmed that I had just returned to the UK after having been in Bali for six months ... it transpired that my purchase in the supermarket had been flagged as someone was simultaneously making a purchase on my card in Java ! I confirmed that I hadn't been staying in expensive hotels or buying jewellery in Java and obviously I couldn't be in two continents at the same time so it was clear that my card had been cloned ! It was fortunate that I used that card on my return to the UK otherwise it would have been more of an ordeal to get it sorted out ... the credit card company blocked the card, cancelled the fraudulent transactions and issued me with a new card ...
I bought two new hearing aids in Miskolc a few weeks back. I had tried to pay via my WISE card but forgot the daily contactless limit was around £500. My Hungarian bank account didn't have enough money so had to use my UK bank credit card. Thankfully, it went through.

Seems my wife's Hungarian bank card has been cloned by someone in Hungary!
Old Aug 18th 2023, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I bought two new hearing aids in Miskolc a few weeks back. I had tried to pay via my WISE card but forgot the daily contactless limit was around £500. My Hungarian bank account didn't have enough money so had to use my UK bank credit card. Thankfully, it went through.

Seems my wife's Hungarian bank card has been cloned by someone in Hungary!
Hungary is not immune from these scumbags, sadly. A few years ago I received a letter from the UK and it was from an online gambling company informing me that my account was in the red ... my Hungarian address was correct but the name wasn't so it seems that a scammer had been picking random Hungarian addresses and opening accounts with the betting company although quite how they managed to do that remains unclear to me. I contacted the betting company and blasted them for allowing this to happen, informed them that I loathed gambling of any kind and to sort it out otherwise legal action would follow. They emailed me back and said they would investigate ... I never heard anything further from them !
Old Aug 18th 2023, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
My son and his wife had a similar experience. On their return to South Africa my DIL had to go into her bank in Johannesberg to collect a new credit card. They then travelled to Cape Town. A couple of days later because the ATM wouldn't give her money she phoned her bank in Johannesburg to be told she'd already drawn her daily amount in Durban.

To cut a long story short, on investigation it was found that person who had served her in the bank hadn't cancelled her old crdit card and was using it to draw out money for her own use.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
My son and his wife had a similar experience. On their return to South Africa my DIL had to go into her bank in Johannesberg to collect a new credit card. They then travelled to Cape Town. A couple of days later because the ATM wouldn't give her money she phoned her bank in Johannesburg to be told she'd already drawn her daily amount in Durban.

To cut a long story short, on investigation it was found that person who had served her in the bank hadn't cancelled her old crdit card and was using it to draw out money for her own use.
WOW - that's incredulous.

When I phone my UK bank I use an online interpreter service authorised by my bank. I often worry the sign language interpreter might take note of my details and use it to buy things. A few years ago a sign language interpreter was arrested along with her father and her brother, a junior doctor, for scamming the DWP. They had been making false claims for Access To Work.
Old Aug 23rd 2023, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Three, one with her sister, visits to the bank and one phone call by her sister and finally all sorted. New bank card on the way.
I might I should look into other banks accessibility options because I want to be able to go into my bank and sort out any problems in one go. My UK bank has a Hungarian forint option but the exchange rate isn't the best. Obviously I'd need to find out more. One advantage is if I have a problem I can call them via an authorised sign language interpreter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.