Bank Accounts

Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

male1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura about
Default Bank Accounts

Hi all

I have just moved to Hungary two months ago and I am still using my UK Bank account.

Does anyone know if it's easy to open a Hungarian Bank account bearing in mind that I have no Hungarian ID whatsoever?

I am discovering that there are many forms of 'proof of existence' here in Hungary from Medical Papers to the ID card of course. Since I don't have any of these forms of ID will opening a Bank Account be impossible?
Many thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bank Accounts

Hi

From my experience, it can be a long session at the bank but you'll be all right. What I'm not sure about is your address. You said you had moved so I don't expect you have a British address any more. However, you don't have a Hungarian address card either, do you? Your passport is enough if you are a British citizen but the bank will require an address they can reach you at. That's the case with K&H anyway, I don't know about other banks.

If you need details about how to acquire a Hungarian address card, just ask.

Ria
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

male1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by riahun
Hi

From my experience, it can be a long session at the bank but you'll be all right. What I'm not sure about is your address. You said you had moved so I don't expect you have a British address any more. However, you don't have a Hungarian address card either, do you? Your passport is enough if you are a British citizen but the bank will require an address they can reach you at. That's the case with K&H anyway, I don't know about other banks.

If you need details about how to acquire a Hungarian address card, just ask.

Ria
Many thanks for your quick reply Ria. It seems that I shouldn't have any major problems from what you have said.
I do have an address here as I have just bought a flat here in November. If you could explain how I would get an address card it would be greatly appreciated and thank you for offering Ria (my only ID is my UK Passport and the purchase contract for my flat).

Additionally, will it also be easy for me to get my medical insurance sorted out along with registering myself for paying tax here?

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to reply to me Ria.

Kind Regards
male1963
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:35 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi male1963 and welcome to the BE forums. I hope you enjoy your visit, they're a friendly bunch on here so just ask away with your questions, someone should be able to help.

An address card shouldn't be a problem so long as you have proof of employment or bank accounts showing sufficient funds to support yourself. Once you have your address card a bank account is very straight forward.

There is a thread here on health insurance that may be useful.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

HelloMale 123

Although we as yet dont live in Hungary but own a property there, we have a bank account set up with OTP Bank (Kesthely branch)to pay bills etc and have found them to be very helpfull and uncomplicated. A few of the staff speak English enough to get the message across and have a Manager who speaks perfect English. To date we cannot fault them.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:03 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Richard, that's correct, if you have a UK address you can open an account without an address card. However, if living permanently in Hungary or should you not have a UK address that you can utilise, you must have an address card. Fortunately, banks tend to have at least one English speaking employee which makes the whole process that much easier.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:02 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I found it simple, just needed my passport, the real problem is the charges they charge be careful.

I've been with Erste bank for over a year now and get my private pension paid into it, I never get a better rate than about 275 to the GBP.

I have emailed them twice this week asking why this is and how to close the account, as there is also a monthly charge as well as every transaction you make.

I have not yet had a reply. I am getting fed up with all the bank charges here, they tell me they are all as bad as each other, might be best to keep your UK Bank.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Raiffeissen Bank charge me 330 forints per month for my account.

I use XE to transfer money from my British account to my Raiffeisen account and this morning (9.20am) they are quoting 321.33 ft to the pound.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, I should have added that there is a charge of £12.50 per transfer and that the rate quoted is the actual rate, not the mid-market rate.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shotgun
Sorry, I should have added that there is a charge of £12.50 per transfer and that the rate quoted is the actual rate, not the mid-market rate.
Thank you everyone for your excellent information. I only joined this forum a few days ago and you have all been SO helpful !

I am much more confident now about settling into Hungary and making my life here more settled and also more official

Thank you once again

Regards
male1963
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

My husband and I will be making the move to Polgardi later on this year, which isnt that far from where you are - if you want to meet up at some pint let me know :-)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Zalacsanybrits is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by male1963
Hi all

I have just moved to Hungary two months ago and I am still using my UK Bank account.

Does anyone know if it's easy to open a Hungarian Bank account bearing in mind that I have no Hungarian ID whatsoever?

I am discovering that there are many forms of 'proof of existence' here in Hungary from Medical Papers to the ID card of course. Since I don't have any of these forms of ID will opening a Bank Account be impossible?
Many thanks for any advice.
Take your passport and proof of house purchase with you and you shouldn't have any problems if I remember rightly from when I opened an account over here.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Zalacsanybrits is an unknown quantity at this point

Take your passport and proof of house purchase with you and you shouldn't have any problems if I remember rightly from when I opened an account over here.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:08 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Zalacsanybrits and welcome to the forum

Did you get your account at the address in Zalacsany, without an address card? Only ask as I have a friend who wants an account set up at their holiday home here instead of being under their UK address as they spend more time here than there.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:25 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I got my bank account before I even moved here or got my address card, I think you only need a passport and possibly an address?.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.