British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Balcony door (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/balcony-door-944596/)

FenTiger Jul 2nd 2022 12:42 pm

Balcony door

We had new triple glazed windows and balcony doors (bedrooms) fitted last November 2021. Also two additional doors and window for the new terrace. Our bedroom balcony doors only have handle on the inside. For the doors with access to the new terrace we wanted to be able to shut the doors on other side (terrace) and window fitters mentioned it was possible to do this with a small modification on the outside part of the door. I am not sure how exactly that could work but basically you turned the door handle to open (quarter turn) then back one eighth so half open/closed. On other side to close pull this small catch/slot. To open from outside just push the inward opening door. Just to clarify we only wanted the new terrace doors to be lockable from inside.
Photo is of our balcony door and new terrace doors (from lounge and kitchen) have exactly the same locking mechanism.
Recently I had to replace the metal strip on side of our front door (not new) which locks it to brackets on door frame. Looking at that metal strip and the one on new terrace doors I cannot fathom how adding a modification it will be possible to close the door on terrace side.
We expected the option mentioned to have already been done before doors were fitted. Unfortunately, not, and window fitters are waiting for the new modification parts to be delivered.
I'm in two minds ..... did they forget to include the modification when they were ordered or is there a genuine issue in getting the modification parts delivered? Or thirdly, have we been hoodwinked the doors are not the specification we ordered and have been fitted with probably no possibility of having them replaced.
Why do we need to close the new terrace doors? Simple, to keep the dogs inside house.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...dceef14053.jpg

Peter_in_Hungary Jul 3rd 2022 6:20 am

Re: Balcony door

I have a balcony door and from your photo it is a similar closing mechanism. My door has no handle on the outside but there is a spring clip which holds the door when pulled shut from the outside. On my door it would be possible to drill through the door and fit a handle on the outside corresponding to the internal handle however as there is no key lock on the door there would be no security.

Does your terrace door have a key lock? If not IMO it is not suitable for a terrace door because someone could use a glass cutter to cut a hole in the glass, put their hand through and open the door (a brick would also work but this makes more noise). On a balcony this is less of an issue due to the height.

Does your terrace door have a spring catch? If not one could be fitted that would hold the door closed. Otherwise a front door mechanism should be fitted with a handle both sides and a key lock for better security.

FenTiger Jul 3rd 2022 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13126517)
I have a balcony door and from your photo it is a similar closing mechanism. My door has no handle on the outside but there is a spring clip which holds the door when pulled shut from the outside. On my door it would be possible to drill through the door and fit a handle on the outside corresponding to the internal handle however as there is no key lock on the door there would be no security.

Does your terrace door have a key lock? If not IMO it is not suitable for a terrace door because someone could use a glass cutter to cut a hole in the glass, put their hand through and open the door (a brick would also work but this makes more noise). On a balcony this is less of an issue due to the height.

Does your terrace door have a spring catch? If not one could be fitted that would hold the door closed. Otherwise a front door mechanism should be fitted with a handle both sides and a key lock for better security.

Ah, a spring catch is what we asked for. That is only for our own use to shut the door on the outside, as mentioned to keep the dogs inside when we are at home. Security is one issue which came up with the window fitters. They suggested the spring catch would be a better option but I've got a feeling maybe both doors should have a key lock ... sorry not sure the right jargon. If the spring catch won't provide adequate security me thinks we'll have to ask the window fitters to modify the doors and add a key lock.
Having been to a hardware store in Miskolc I'm confident we can modify it to provide extra security.

FenTiger Jul 3rd 2022 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13126517)

Thanks so much for your post. I am mystified why the spring catch was not fitted already. There is a hardware store in Miskolc that has everything so the window fitters excuse it hadn't arrived is quite shallow!

FenTiger Aug 8th 2022 1:39 am

We're still waiting for the spring catch for our new retrace doors. The windows/doors guy has assured us they haven't forgotten us. They mentioned several customers are waiting for their new windows/doors.