Balcony

Old May 1st 2022, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Balcony

We have an east facing balcony accessible via two bedrooms. We've noticed the floor area where the two doors are is colder than the rest of the area where the balcony is. One of the guys doing the cladding mentioned we should probably add insulation underneath the balcony so mentioned the cold areas. I'm not convinced just adding insulation underneath the balcony would be effective, especially if no insulation is added to the top of the balcony and the front bit. (Have I explained this clearly?).
Could it be cold air getting through the UPVC frame at floor level?
Old May 1st 2022, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balcony

If the UPVC doors are installed properly there should be no air coming through the underneath of the frame, if there is then it is an easy fix of a bead of sealant on the inside and outside of the frame/floor joint. There should be a bead of sealant on the outside anyway.

However it sounds like a cold bridge built into the construction. Without seeing the construction details it is difficult to be sure. If the balcony was properly constructed there should be a thermal break at the threshold. Looking at the build plans (if you have them) should give a clue but not a guarantee because plans are often skimped upon by the builder (I love the phrase - House built with no corner left uncut. - Sad but too often true).
I don't think adding insulation to the underside of the balcony on its own will make any difference. To make a difference you would have to insulate both the underside and the topside of the balcony but insulating the topside would depend upon the depth available at the threshold of the doors.
A quick mitigation would be thick rugs placed in front of the doors as large as needed to cover the cold bits. At least it would make walking around in bare feet more tolerable.
Old May 2nd 2022, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balcony

Peter_in_Hungary
I'm going to have a really good look at the UPVC door frames. Think we should mention to the installers and get them to rectify it. Yes, I could do it myself but if the installers have not done the sealing properly they need to come back.