Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Areas of interest for buying

Areas of interest for buying

Old Jul 16th 2014, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Areas of interest for buying

Another city which looks lovely is Esztergom...I think someone already mentioned it. We visited there recently and was really blown away by it. Not that far from BP and right on the Slovakian border too...plus you have the benefit of being near all the wonderful towns and hills of the Danube Bend.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

gcroft is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a good suggestion.
Tons of variety because excellent access by train and car to Austria, Germany and of course back to the UK as well as Slovakia.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Another city which looks lovely is Esztergom...I think someone already mentioned it. We visited there recently and was really blown away by it. Not that far from BP and right on the Slovakian border too...plus you have the benefit of being near all the wonderful towns and hills of the Danube Bend.
My mum has a friend in Folkestone who comes from this area, between there and Tatabanya and he says it is absolutely stunning. Might add it to the list of places for us to look at - did you take any photos Pol?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
My mum has a friend in Folkestone who comes from this area, between there and Tatabanya and he says it is absolutely stunning. Might add it to the list of places for us to look at - did you take any photos Pol?
Yes...my photos don't really do it justice but it was stunning. We also went to Visegrád and Dobogókő...all really stunning.
Attached Thumbnails Areas of interest for buying-dobogoko-092.jpg   Areas of interest for buying-dobogoko-085.jpg   Areas of interest for buying-dobogoko-065-copy.jpg  
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:42 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pol, that view is stunning! Will take a look as I hope to visit the Duna-Ipoly national park.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Thanks Pol, that view is stunning! Will take a look as I hope to visit the Duna-Ipoly national park.
Here is another - the view of the Danube Bend from Dobogókő :-)
Attached Thumbnails Areas of interest for buying-dobogoko-012.jpg  
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:49 am
I bite my thumb at thee

That looks gorgeous, reminiscent of Slovenia.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

PRIMO is an unknown quantity at this point

We looked long and hard before we moved and went to visit many towns and the best we found we bought 3 years ago in vas we have been very very happy here and our village is the most friendly village we found, here there are Hungarian - German - Austrian - English - and each and everyone of them all say the same when they move here that how friendly and helpful everyone here is, We are only 20 mins to Austria boarder,
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Feene is an unknown quantity at this point

So many excellent suggestions which I tried to follow up as much as possible in a 2 week period but think I may have done some areas a dis-service as I could on get a superficial impression of each.
What I found:

Pecs:truly beautiful and I was stunned at the peace and serenity of the place.
Tapolca: I really liked this area. Further from the lake but still in driving distance. The
landscape appealed to me.
Veszprem: Maybe didn't devote enough time to it, but what I saw didn't blow me away.
Was Ok though
Tihany: Lovely to visit and beautiful but far too touristy.
Dombovar: Literally just drove through this and stopped for lunch on way to Pecs, but what impressed with the little I saw.
Siofok: Was expecting a mini Benidorm but it was actually quite pleasant.

We also ventured to the city Székesfehérvár. Ive seen some beautiful pictures of this place online but we couldn't seem to find them. What we saw was a bit depressing.

Like I said though, these really were just brief impressions. Made me realise that if and when we do get round to buying I'd have to dedicate time to a proper search.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Feene
So many excellent suggestions which I tried to follow up as much as possible in a 2 week period but think I may have done some areas a dis-service as I could on get a superficial impression of each.
What I found:

Pecs:truly beautiful and I was stunned at the peace and serenity of the place.
Tapolca: I really liked this area. Further from the lake but still in driving distance. The
landscape appealed to me.
Veszprem: Maybe didn't devote enough time to it, but what I saw didn't blow me away.
Was Ok though
Tihany: Lovely to visit and beautiful but far too touristy.
Dombovar: Literally just drove through this and stopped for lunch on way to Pecs, but what impressed with the little I saw.
Siofok: Was expecting a mini Benidorm but it was actually quite pleasant.

We also ventured to the city Székesfehérvár. Ive seen some beautiful pictures of this place online but we couldn't seem to find them. What we saw was a bit depressing.

Like I said though, these really were just brief impressions. Made me realise that if and when we do get round to buying I'd have to dedicate time to a proper search.
OK Mr F Szekesfehervar did not up to scratch, not for me 12k further wear I am
I would not be in other area owing to location to Budapest and flights back to uk more so Tran link is the best 40 minutes to West end Station but then again your comment could be justified as my place is up for sale for more then 2 years digger47
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Feene is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry digger didn't mean to offend. Like I said saw lovely pictures online but the area we found was dominated by tower blocks. Geographically I could see the benefits of the place which is why we visited. Just wasn't to my taste.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Feene
Sorry digger didn't mean to offend. Like I said saw lovely pictures online but the area we found was dominated by tower blocks. Geographically I could see the benefits of the place which is why we visited. Just wasn't to my taste.

Yes it is quite depressing on the outside, the nice historical bit is in the centre, but if you don't know the area you can easily miss it!
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digger47
OK Mr F Szekesfehervar did not up to scratch, not for me 12k further wear I am
I would not be in other area owing to location to Budapest and flights back to uk more so Tran link is the best 40 minutes to West end Station but then again your comment could be justified as my place is up for sale for more then 2 years digger47
May I ask the area where you are located Digger? I understand if you would rather not divulge that info online.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
May I ask the area where you are located Digger? I understand if you would rather not divulge that info online.
sending PM digger47
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Dombovar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.