Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Anyone driven UK < -- > Hungary recently?

Anyone driven UK < -- > Hungary recently?

Old Aug 21st 2021, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone driven UK < -- > Hungary recently?

What's the current situation with driving between the UK and Hungary? Are countries enforcing hard borders with "papers please" checkpoints ?
Old Aug 21st 2021, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone driven UK < -- > Hungary recently?

Originally Posted by xavierx
What's the current situation with driving between the UK and Hungary? Are countries enforcing hard borders with "papers please" checkpoints ?
You betcha. No way you'll get into the UK without showing your papers, and if you're not British and the border guards don't like what you tell them, you might even end up in the cells for a few days.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Slightly longer answer: it's complicated and no doubt depends on your nationality/nationalities/residency status, the reason for your journey and what documentation you have to support that. I drove to Hungary from Germany in February and had considerable difficulty crossing the Hungarian border.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I can only report on the experience driving from Gemany to Hungary. At the end of June (4 weeks after I got my second vaccine in Germany) I returned to Hungary via Munich (sister lives there) and Braunau (to avoid the border checks near Passau), thenback to the motorway, Linz and Vienna in the direction of Bp.
There were no checks at all!
I saw no border police in Austria on/near the bridge over th Inn and neither at the Hungarian border - didn't even have to show my passport. Of course I had my vaccination papers on me, but they weren't needed.
However Austrian radio reported that for those driving from Budapest to Vienna there were waiting times of more than two hours!
One of the problems is that you can never be sure. maybe there are no queues at one of the smaller border crossings - but they might also be closed.
It's a crazy situation!
Listening to traffic radio or using a guide program, even google is a good idea.
PS:
I heard from people returning from their holidays at the sea that there were long waiting times when driving from Croatia or Slovenis into Hungary.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Itt Magyarorszag is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine has just come back from Austria. Leaving Hungary (by road at Hegyeshalom) there were checks for vaccine certificates and valid reasons for travel. Not so on the return leg.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I still think it would be best to avoid travelling anywhere unless you absolutely have to. The situation can change very quickly and I wouldn't want to be caught out unable to get back into the country.

Haven't left Hungary, or esentially the local environs for anything other than work for just over two years now.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
I still think it would be best to avoid travelling anywhere unless you absolutely have to. The situation can change very quickly and I wouldn't want to be caught out unable to get back into the country.
If you have residency in Hungary (or are a Hungarian citizen) the authorities won't (can't) stop you entering Hungary. They could require quarantine if the regulations require.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If you have residency in Hungary (or are a Hungarian citizen) the authorities won't (can't) stop you entering Hungary. They could require quarantine if the regulations require.
I am very cynical and untrusting however! Just feel it isn't worth it for several reasons.Especially with this highly infectious Delta variant. Heard there could be issues if you had the Sputnik vaccine as it is not recognised by the UK and maybe Germany?
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 6:14 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very careful during this time because it seems the border situation is very volatile and the rules at them can change with little or no notice. I have no plans to leave Hungary anytime soon. It is not worth the risk of getting stuck somewhere or sent back to the UK. If someone really needs to travel they should check the Embassy website for updates and alerts about the current travel rules right before they travel.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

UK to Hungary 7th Aug we needed Hungarian residency cards and address cards at Dover for the French border force and again at Hegyeshalom as we had not had both jabs we also had a PCR test prior to departure just in case stopped in Germany, at Hungary you can have 10 days quarantine at home or opt to have another PCR test
Old Sep 8th 2021, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

This page has useful border crossing queue times shown on the right had side

Information on general rules of border crossing | A Magyar Rendőrség hivatalos honlapja

Last edited by xavierx; Sep 8th 2021 at 12:58 pm.