Reload this Page >

Am moving to Budapest looking for suggestions

Am moving to Budapest looking for suggestions

Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Mrbalf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am moving to Budapest looking for suggestions

Hello everyone,

I am relocating from Eastbourne to Budapest in February, the wife is a native Hungarian. Is there any information I need/to do before I get there??

Would appreciate any suggestions or useful hints that would make it easier.a

Thanks
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Am moving to Budapest looking for suggestions

Originally Posted by Mrbalf
Hello everyone,
I am relocating from Eastbourne to Budapest in February, the wife is a native Hungarian. Is there any information I need/to do before I get there??
Would appreciate any suggestions or useful hints that would make it easier.a
Thanks
All depends on what you will be doing there?! Do let us know!
Loads of info for you to trawl through in the Hungary threads. Rural Hungary who looks after the Hu forum will be greeting you personally on here ;-)
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Unsure what jobs I can go for, as I do not speak the language yet. I have been a teacher, so may look down that path.
Everything is up in the air at the moment. The wife is moving in December, to get it ready for us.
Will keep you all posted as to the plans
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Unsure what jobs I can go for, as I do not speak the language yet. I have been a teacher, so may look down that path.
Everything is up in the air at the moment. The wife is moving in December, to get it ready for us.
Will keep you all posted as to the plans
Mainstream, school teaching?
There are a number of "international" schools in Budapest.
Of course there may be the opportunity to teach English as a Foreign Language. Would be advisable to do the Cert. or Diploma in that if you want to go down that route, though there will be many offering that, who aren't qualified (talking from experience elsewhere).

Hungary is currently also experiencing a serious downturn in their economy with prices going up, mentioned yesterday were specifically diesel prices. Utility, gas and electric prices are currentlly being kept down by the government but will be set to rise sometime into next year.

See other threads about bringing a UK car over, health insurance, GB TV etc. - plenty of info there!

All the best, Steve
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Well folks, my final month of work is here. The wife has been over for a month, and is settling fine.
My flight is booked for 1st February, looking forward to the adventure.

Will keep you postedThat it all goes well

Chris
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, Chris.
There is a Facebook group mainly consisting of English speaking people living in Budapest:

ExpatsHungary.com CHAT
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:27 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Well folks, my final month of work is here. The wife has been over for a month, and is settling fine.

Chris
Good luck Chris and I'm sure it will work out for you. There is a large expat community in Budapest and having a Hungarian wife will make things soooo much easier. A useful port of call might be the British Pantry shop as the owners know a large number of expats and seem to have their finger on the pulse of what is happening in Budapest. They are a really lovely couple who I'm sure would be more than willing to point you in the right direction :-)
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

I notice that your thing is hotel management. A quick trawl through any of the English Budapest sites will throw up lots of email addys of hotels, both large and boutique. I would respectfully recommend getting your CV out there asap. Your lack of Hungarian is going to be a real sticking point.....but if you persevere....
On another note, I hope you are aware of the UK/Hungarian wage differential. Hungary is going through some pretty significant changes right now, though these have limited effect on us expats (for now). Good luck.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

David British Pantry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi if we can help in any way please just get in touch.If we cant ourselves we are luck enough to have some great friends/customers in allsorts of walks of life, so we can hopefully point you in the right direction.
And thanks to rural hungary for the nice words.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:38 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

A friendly word of advise before anybody notices but you will have to change your user name as it must not relate to any business interest, website address etc.

If you need any help or advise, feel free to give me a shout.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

A friendly word of advise before anybody notices but you will have to change your user name as it must not relate to any business interest, website address etc.

If you need any help or advise, feel free to give me a shout.
Sue the overall moderator can do this for you, you don't need to "abandon" this one - she did for me.
But I am right aren't I RH you can put your business url as your signature?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 10:57 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Site rules can be found here

If you need any assistance Dave just drop me a PM (you will need 3 posts to do so).
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:48 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Chris

You lucky man - I look forward to leaving the UK for a life in Hungary - but not quite the time yet - hope you are settling in well in Budapest - I would be interested in hearing what you like about it all

regards

John
</IMG>
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Hi John and all

I have now been based over here for 3 weeks, it is now starting to feel real, not a holiday anymore!
My lack of Hungarian is starting to annoy me, so will be trying harder to pick it up and learn.
Our flat is resembling a home bit by bit, still need some more furniture, bits and pieces but not to sure where it is best to purchase them.
On the job front - well what can I say, it is harder than I thought to find a suitable job, but I am sure I will prevail one day!!

I see from your profile you are based in Sevenoaks, I grew up and attended my education just around the corner in Tonbridge! small world!
Look forward in keeping in touch
Chris
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Hi Chris,
You need to start "networking"...finding the places where expats hang out, both as a means of discovering whats going on through making acquaintances, and to escape from a total dependency on your wife (for her sake as well!).
For pretty cheap and cheerful, get yourself to IKEA on Ors Vezer tere (end of the Red Metro).
BTW which district do you live in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.