Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Advice re Telephone line

Advice re Telephone line

Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default Advice re Telephone line

I'm not sure if anyone can offer any advice on this but here we go. I am having problems getting my phone line switched on. The line is already there just needs switching on at the exchange and a number provided but T Home keeps insisting that there is no line there although nobody has beenout. They also said there was no way I could have internet as there was no capacity left in my area (Balatonbereny) so it would mean digging up roads. Well I do have internet from another company who provided it through cable. But I'm still having problems getting the telephone line connected from T Home has anyone had any problems like this or could recommend another company who provide tel lines? Sorry for the rammble but it's so frustrating.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:39 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re Telephone line

Yes, that sounds right, you have to check the capacity of an area and not just the ability to get Internet, it's one of the first things we check for clients, knowing how most Brits are reliant on the Internet If there is no capacity then there is nothing you can do until someone in the street gives up their Internet. We were fortunate enough to be in a small village and the mayor came to our rescue, hooking us up to the library, otherwise there was NO solution. What about wireless, is it available in your area.

Have you actually asked T-Mobile to come out and connect a new line? If there is a mistake then they will discover it and even if it needs a new line it isn't expensive.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:43 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

PS: it's not the village, in this case Bereny, it is the "area" and that can be anything from your street to a block. The less developed parts of villages still have the old wiring and the line can take very little capacity, some can provide Internet for only 2-3 houses in a whole street.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:03 am
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoa
I did not realise how lucky we are! We have had internet connections from 2 companies- they keep on going on and off. We moan. At least we managed to get a connection. We have a T-Home phone line. Be persistent- in my experience it takes finding the right person to succeed. They have an English speaking help line based in Budapest.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Klarika's Hungarian, so language shouldn't be the issue. If she was English I would have suggested that perhaps the old line was disconnected at the exchange and needs replacing due to age or something but as she speaks Hungarian, obviously not relevant. I'm sure she'll sort it out.

The issue doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in the centre or developed parts of villages and towns - as most of the telephone lines have been upgraded. That said, if Klarika's is underground, it would suggest it has been hmmm Anyhow, it's not something you think about when buying a property and if you say to the agent "can I get Internet", they will tell you that yes there is Internet in the street, funnily enough, none have ever mentioned capacity
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

We got the Internet through another company with the help of the sat tv man luckly there was cable outside our neibours house so we asked her permission to run it through her garden it's great I have no trouble with that at all.

T Home have just come back to me and have finally said they will send someone round next week sometime to check there is a line there (wont hold my breath) You are right Rural does'nt matter if everyone has the service around you if they run out of capacity it's just a waiting game.

Well I'l wait and see worst scenario is I have to keep usiing Skype unless of course someone knows of another telecoms company.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rural, forgot to mention the line is overhead you can actually see it coming in to my house.

Klarika
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

No, you should get a phone line no problem, it's the Internet that is the issue and from experience, there are always more people waiting for capacity than giving it up so you're lucky to have cable. Mind you, if the line is heavily used, they might not be willing to put a further connection on it. It doesn't really matter whether there is an existing line as they could have installed a new line down the street and given it your capacity slot, the only difference it makes is that it will cost them less to reconnect you and that might be a factor in your favour.

I think they might have tried to tell us there was no phone capacity and we, like you, had an existing phone line as they at first offered us a gprs phone but I kicked up such a stink with the mayor, T-Home and our agent that I think they gave us one just to shut me up Only T-Home can supply the connection from the exchange. Just be forceful and insist that you need a connection in case of emergencies as mobile reception is bad in the area..

Again, it's one of those things that you don't find out about until it's too late. Just imagine if you couldn't get cable!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I know I am grateful that I have managed to get it and I am trying to be persistant with T Home (think the young girl that works there hates me already)
will just have to wait and see I suppose:
Old Feb 11th 2011, 3:44 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klarika
Yes I know I am grateful that I have managed to get it and I am trying to be persistant with T Home (think the young girl that works there hates me already)
will just have to wait and see I suppose:
Is Invitel an option? I thought they were like Bt.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Don't know but I will give it a try

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

We were told T-Home was the equivalent of BT - that is, they owns the lines and exchanges but license them to other operators. Therefore, if you can't get a T-Home line, you're out of luck. Perhaps that's only in our are?

Klarika, doesn't your cable company offer a phone service?

Just checked and yes it seems Invitel covers a different area, Magyar Telecom (T-Home) covers this area.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Feb 11th 2011 at 7:25 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rural,

T- Home have just phoned to tell me they would be out on Tuesday next week
so at least they will see that there is overhead cable and a line coming into my house I wonder if it is because I emailed head office!!!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:16 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Could well be - we always had more success with phoning the Budapest office (there is an English speaking customer service employee there) the office in Nagykanizsa were useless, really didn't want to know and "apparently" lost our application forms twice!

Them coming out is definitely promising, the only issue I could see is if they are coming to check whether it is single or double cabled (don't know the technical name for it). In our village, the top of the village has no problem with capacity as the line was updated not so long ago, it looks like a double cable. Past the church, the line is thinner and single and this is where the problem lies. The thinner, older lines can only support so many phones and as mentioned before 2-3 Internet connections. If your street is supplied with the old wiring and it is at capacity, there will be an issue but stand your ground as they managed to "squeeze" us onto our over capacity line.
At the time, I couldn't get my head around the fact that there was a phoneline, right outside my house and all of the neighbours - including the empty house across the road - had phonelines in their house yet we were being told we couldn't have one!

Good luck for Tuesday