Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Advice for newbie required !

Advice for newbie required !

Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

GMC girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for newbie required !

Thanks for that , I have been looking since last year & researched a lot so thought it was. I like the layout but & some were really nice & in lovely locations but we will give them a very wide berth.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jetsam1
The tanya we are currently rentingis a case in point. THe second building the landlord renovated with modern materials. Essentially the outer wall is falling apart from the inside!!!! The main building has some interesting cracks....... The wall of the bathroom has obvious signs of damp on the outside.

The fundamental problem has been that the roof was neglected for some time. There is a house in the village we looked at that was brick built but again entertainingly one corner was about 10cm lower than the rest of the house suggesting that there may well be no foundations or poor foundations. Oh and it was wet. Very wet.

The lesson is be careful unless you build new, and then still be careful!!!

Our latest electricity bill was HUF28000 but we did have to run electric heaters in the water pump house to try and unfreeze the pump and the pipes! All heavily insulated now but that was a fun time. Usually around the HUF15000-20000 as we have have two kids and so the water boiler is on a lot. We have stopped using kettles and microwaves though. We use gas bottles that our local petrol station does for HUF4500 a time (you swap the empty one for a full one).
Sounds like a real problem. We have been trying to stay with brick builds tbh.

The gas bottle sounds a good idea, my Mum & daughter still use these in Ireland so I am used to them . What period of time was the electricity bill for ?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMC girl
Sounds like a real problem. We have been trying to stay with brick builds tbh.

The gas bottle sounds a good idea, my Mum & daughter still use these in Ireland so I am used to them . What period of time was the electricity bill for ?
I think the electricity bill was for February.

We are renting and are looking for another year or so out of this place so it isn't really our problem! If I can sell my house in the UK we want to build a new place at a Tanya we are in the process of purchasing but we are likely to use insulated sandwich panels rather than brick due to costs and it's probably just as good.

Gas bottles are really common as mains gas can get expensive. Make sure any gas cooker is properly modified for it though. We had to have the nozzles changed as the gas bottles are lower pressure.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I have just found an estate agent under the name At Home in Hungary, very many of the properties are clay.

Am I right in thinking this is the same as adobe?
Yes - As fidobsa said. The Hungarian name is vályogtégla

In certain areas lots of older properties will be adobe because that was the material local and to hand. In my area there are very few (I don't know of any!) adobe built houses because stone is abundant so stone / rubble / stone walls was the material of choice in the past.

There will be lots on the market in some areas because that was what was used as the building material. I suspect they may be targeting foreigners because foreigners typically buy with cash and it is extremely difficult (= almost impossible) to get a mortgage or bank loan on such houses so the demand from Hungarians is very low.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Mar 30th 2017 at 8:36 am.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

can you give me some idea of the cost of electricity & gas please.
The cost of energy is very dependant upon lifestyle and building type. Most Hungarian houses have very low standards of insulation and poor older type windows. The standard double windows (not double glazed) are little better than single windows. There has not been the drive for insulation here like in the UK (e.g. no free loft insulation for pensioners or 1 pound / roll of insulation etc.) so most houses are insulated as built.

Most builders do not understand the correct methods of insulation and have a very poor attention to detail - which is very important with insulation so poor results are achieved with money spent in that direction.

Most Hungarian houses are suitable for and will benefit from external wall insulation (EWI) because cavity walls are unknown here, but the typical builder does not install it in a manner that makes it effective.

Whilst it stops in 2015 you can see the energy prices here File:Electricity and gas prices, second half of year, 2013–15 (EUR per kWh) YB16.png - Statistics Explained
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

More on energy prices, I know a family of 5 (3 kids) living a western life style (dishwasher, micro etc.) in a stone house where the electricity bill is about 17000 Huf / month and the heating in Jan / feb is about 60000 huf / month January being the coldest month and the summer gas bill is about 7000 huf. The heating and hot water is by gas combie boiler.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Poor or even missing foundations are a general problem here!

That also means that water "creeps up" from the ground - many people we know have these salt packages (calcium chloride) in containers that are supposed to get the damp out of the air in unheated rooms - in one of our guest rooms we have one too.
Btw we buy that special salt in Germany when it's on offer at Aldi or Lidl or Obi ...
Then it's 2€ per kilo,here it's much more expensive - so we bring some for our neighbour too.

I think I've said it before:
A digiital hygrometer (usually combined with a thermometer) is a good investment - we bought several of them, again when they were on offer (less than 10 €).
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and another thing, we have been to several properties that stated that they were built in the 1990s or 2000s when in actual fact they were renovated at those times.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Yes - As fidobsa said. The Hungarian name is vályogtégla

In certain areas lots of older properties will be adobe because that was the material local and to hand. In my area there are very few (I don't know of any!) adobe built houses because stone is abundant so stone / rubble / stone walls was the material of choice in the past.

There will be lots on the market in some areas because that was what was used as the building material. I suspect they may be targeting foreigners because foreigners typically buy with cash and it is extremely difficult (= almost impossible) to get a mortgage or bank loan on such houses so the demand from Hungarians is very low.
Are stone ones a good buy? I agree about the cash & targeting, easy market I guess.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the great information, we really need minimise any later major issues.

Does anyone have any info on Polany Village ?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are stone ones a good buy? I agree about the cash & targeting, easy market I guess.
If they have foundations! However I did research stone buildings too and they are susceptible to many of the same damp issues that the adobe houses can have. It is very important not to cover them in concrete or cement......

I would say that adobe etc houses are only worth the value of the land they are on as they can be a lot of trouble. Plus some goodwill.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of energy is very dependant upon lifestyle and building type. Most Hungarian houses have very low standards of insulation and poor older type windows. The standard double windows (not double glazed) are little better than single windows. There has not been the drive for insulation here like in the UK (e.g. no free loft insulation for pensioners or 1 pound / roll of insulation etc.) so most houses are insulated as built.

Most builders do not understand the correct methods of insulation and have a very poor attention to detail - which is very important with insulation so poor results are achieved with money spent in that direction.

Most Hungarian houses are suitable for and will benefit from external wall insulation (EWI) because cavity walls are unknown here, but the typical builder does not install it in a manner that makes it effective.

Whilst it stops in 2015 you can see the energy prices here File:Electricity and gas prices, second half of year, 2013–15 (EUR per kWh) YB16.png - Statistics Explained
The double windows here are much more effective than the "double glazing" often used in the UK (& have a higher U value) & the thermal mass response of the solid walls used here is considerably more effective - & precludes the problems of interstitial consideration inherent with cavity wall insulation! - Oh & our combined gas & electricity bills in a 104m2 flat built in the 1930s are less than (equiv. today) £ 70 per month - & we like our heat!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Mar 30th 2017 at 7:53 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

More on energy prices, I know a family of 5 (3 kids) living a western life style (dishwasher, micro etc.) in a stone house where the electricity bill is about 17000 Huf / month and the heating in Jan / feb is about 60000 huf / month January being the coldest month and the summer gas bill is about 7000 huf. The heating and hot water is by gas combie boiler.
Thanks Peter, 2 of most of the time, looking at brick build. What is the cofired heating many have?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter, 2 of most of the time, looking at brick build. What is the cofired heating many have?
Living a Hungarian lifestyle, ie Micro, dishwasher, washing machine, etc our gas & electricity bills in our 104m2 flat total 23,000 Ft / month, in a stone built building built before WW2. Again gas combi boiler for heating / water.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

To whom it may concern, after being her 7 years by now I drawn this conclusion, If intending to Purchase a Property first Do sum Sums,What is the Space Requirements, as there is no reason to have 120m2 when 80m2 will Do,Watt it Cost and how much it's going to Cost to put it Good Order, then thinking that you will be there 10 years? divide The Total cost into the 10 years, This will give sume indication of depreciation, As this is Warning I spent in total with Purchase and Modernisation 6m hf. to days value and on Sales Market at 3.6m hf. You can not get away from these Facts Hungarians will Never Pay What You Think the Property is Worth, this situation, Gave me a Big Wake Up Call. The New Place With Little Years Left I Have Spent Total of 2m hf on a New Build including renewing E-ONE Suply, I know that the Lowest Sale value of 1m hf. So if all I have in Life is 5 years I will enjoy my Times There, it's a respectable Loss. Please make sure What you are Purchasing is Worth the Money do the Sums First digger47

Last edited by mawood47; Mar 31st 2017 at 7:09 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.