Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

2 million Avios/ Airmiles - flying for free

2 million Avios/ Airmiles - flying for free

Old Aug 24th 2018, 9:03 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

You can fly for free by collecting points. <<<SNIP>>>you can easily look up/ google the UK's No1 points site which will give you tips a-plenty to get you collecting easy airmiles/ points.

Do your research first & I can fill you in with any more information you need on how to get a million points nice & easy for yourself.

I think my wife & I have about 1.5 million Avios and 800,000 Virgin miles. Flying out to Hungary costs 6500/ 7500 Avios on BA depending on off-peak/ peak, so that's a fair few free flights - £17.50 fees on top but cheaper than the low cost airlines.

I also get into the airport lounges for free, so nice start to the trip, fill up with free food & booze. No problem telling you how.

<snip>

google Should you convert Clubcard, Amex, Heathrow or HSBC points to Avios on receipt?

So my wife's on her way out to Ferihegy right now. She got an Avios flight on BA, that cost us £17.50. She had free lounge access at Heathrow T3, she could choose between Club Aspire and No1 Traveller lounges, both with as much free food & drink you could want - she didn't even need to choose between them as she could go in both, free of charge.

I'm an ace points collector & happy to share the knowledge but you'll have to put the work in, I'm not going to spoon feed you

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 24th 2018 at 11:02 pm. Reason: Merged. JG snipped links etc.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 million Avios/ Airmiles - flying for free

But there's some bad news here - or do I get it wrong?
On Monday, the company behind the Avios Travel Rewards Programme — used by British Airways customers — announced that the Avios.com scheme would be closing down on May 20.
https://www.businessinsider.com/brit...-points-2018-4
Old Aug 29th 2018, 5:40 pm
Banned

Yep you got it wrong - but so did businessinsider.com. Nothing has changed (much) except that you can now no longer earn/ credit Avios to or redeem them for 'free' flights from the old avios.com portal/ interface. Instead, you have to use British Airways Executive Club to get 'free' BA flights on points (sort of, there are lots of alternatives). All your points from avios.com will transfer to BAEC instead, if you don't already have an a/c they'll open a new one for you. The Avios points scheme has certainly not closed down & they are expanding fast.

BI was wrong because avios.com continues in a different format, eg avios.com is the platform used for Aer Lingus avios collection & reward flights. It's ATRP that is closing down, not avios.com.

Alternatives to BAEC to get 'free' BA flights to Hungary? Plenty - eg thru Iberia.com (also owned by BA's parent company IAG). They (IB) recently ran a promotion where you could get 90,000 Avios for about £250. 90,000 Avios is enough to get you nearly 14 economy flights on BA London-Hungary or vice versa (plus airport taxes). Ie £18 each way (plus airport taxes).
Old Aug 29th 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this!
It might be interesting for my sister who lives near Gatwick and visits us here near Hévíz regularly. I'll have to ask her/tell her about this - she and her husband had lots of flight while he was still working internationally.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 7:14 pm
Banned

Google: 'Bits: Priority Pass Amex guest fee up to £20, BA to sponsor Twickenham, Hilton registration link working'

& do your homework.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

At this point in time we have sufficient air miles points to fly to Hungary business class but every time we look at flights available .... dates and times are not convenient. Most flights which match our needs are from Heathrow. After a very bad experience driving to Heathrow one winter few years ago I've developed an aversion flying from Heathrow. Suffice to say I was impressed with myself in torrential rain, pitch blackness, and on an unlit part of the M25, I managed to replace damaged wheel/tyre and still arrived Heathrow with good time to go through passport control, albeit via business class which was more speedy than economy class. So how you use these airmiles points .... that's up to you. Think next year we're flying to Edinburgh to celebrate my wife's 60th. Hungarian Sister in law doesn't know yet when she comes over January 2019.