Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungary-UK, man with a van or other suggestions

Hungary-UK, man with a van or other suggestions

Old Oct 6th 2019, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hungary-UK, man with a van or other suggestions

Looking to send mostly clothes plus books and some small household items. No furniture, white goods, etc.

Guessing maybe a transit van-sized load at most.

Any recommendations welcome. Or suggestions. (Would it be economical to post lighter stuff like clothes??)

Thanks.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungary-UK, man with a van or other suggestions

There is a chap called Simon Evans who seems to do regular runs between UK and Hungary. If you are on the Facebook group for BalatonBrits you can find him that way or I can pass on a message to him.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fidobsa
There is a chap called Simon Evans who seems to do regular runs between UK and Hungary. If you are on the Facebook group for BalatonBrits you can find him that way or I can pass on a message to him.
Thanks mate. I will try to find him on FB and will get back to you if I have any problems.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

clivebradbury2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, look at courier cost of items - it is often cheaper than you think. Luckily my wife used to work in distribution so knows the ropes.

When we moved here last year we sent three VERY full pallets - mostly heavy stuff like crockery, computers, and bulky items like clothes. Total cost for the three was just over £500. A new computer a few weeks ago was £17 from the UK (although we paid about £20 more for insurance due to the value of the item).

P.S Delivery time for the pallets was 6 days. Door-to - door with no mauling.

Last edited by clivebradbury2; Nov 21st 2019 at 2:08 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clivebradbury2
Also, look at courier cost of items - it is often cheaper than you think. Luckily my wife used to work in distribution so knows the ropes.

When we moved here last year we sent three VERY full pallets - mostly heavy stuff like crockery, computers, and bulky items like clothes. Total cost for the three was just over £500. A new computer a few weeks ago was £17 from the UK (although we paid about £20 more for insurance due to the value of the item).

Thanks. I will look into that.

I'm guessing there are issues involved with pallets, like collection and forklifts.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

jameswm is an unknown quantity at this point

Not always. We have twice sent pallets from the UK to Hungary without issues; a taillift vehicle with pump truck at either end is all that's needed. Be aware though that some firms don't provide palletised transportation of "personal effects" (ie they only do business goods).
But it helps that I also worked in logistics so 'know the ropes'.
Also, try Shiply for getting quotes for palletised/non palletised.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jameswm
Not always. We have twice sent pallets from the UK to Hungary without issues; a taillift vehicle with pump truck at either end is all that's needed. Be aware though that some firms don't provide palletised transportation of "personal effects" (ie they only do business goods).
But it helps that I also worked in logistics so 'know the ropes'.
Also, try Shiply for getting quotes for palletised/non palletised.
Thanks. I will give them a try.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clivebradbury2

Which company did you use for that?
Old Nov 27th 2019, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

jetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond repute

I have used a company called speedshift a number of times to deliver a pallet (of gifts in shoeboxes) from the U.K. to Hungary and they have always delivered to a residential address and had a tail lift and pallet truck
The last time we did it it was £200 for a single pallet and that took about a week
Old Nov 29th 2019, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetblackonetenth
I have used a company called speedshift a number of times to deliver a pallet (of gifts in shoeboxes) from the U.K. to Hungary and they have always delivered to a residential address and had a tail lift and pallet truck
The last time we did it it was £200 for a single pallet and that took about a week
Sorry if I sound a bit thick what kind of wrapping goes round the stuff you are shipping on pallets?

Tail lift trucks - a couple of years ago when I was in Hungary a neighbour of my parents-in-law needed helpt to unload an outdoor oven! No tail lift!!! So it was two men (me and the delivery driver) and two ladies (two neighbours) lifting it out. It was quite heavy and had I known before I realised how heavy it was I would have refused to help. I have quite a heavy sideboard which I want brining over once I find a property so a tail lift truck would very much be needed.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
what kind of wrapping goes round the stuff you are shipping on pallets?
If it is a collection of boxes on a pallet then from what I have seen they use commercial grade cling film that is 50cm wide and comes in rolls about 10cm thick. The sort of stuff they use to wrap suitcases in airports.
This cling film is thicker than the stuff for cooking and the 2 are not interchangeable.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Plus, check if the pallet is likely to be sat outside at any point during its trip, as the wrap will then also need to be watertight.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

better not to post tel number here
Old Feb 18th 2020, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

clivebradbury2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rickster - sorry for the delay replying - I don't get on here much.

We used Response Logistics, Etruscan Street
Stoke on Trent, ST1 5PQ

(I can't post a URL apparently as I have not posted enough!).

Forklift not needed. However you must specify that you do not have one at either end (i.e. collection/delivery points). They will then arrange tail lift truck/van and the driver uses a palletiser to move the pallet for you. It was no problem (even the Hungary section!).