Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

4 hr Q at Budapest airport

4 hr Q at Budapest airport

Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 hr Q at Budapest airport

Oh veyyy ...
Wish you all the very best.
Just a reminder:
I came in last Friday by car from Germany via Austria - there were no checks, no stopping at all, just a slow down near Nickelsdorf.
But in the other direction going from Hungary to Austria there were stops, searches(?) and a long queue.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

We are leaving today to arrive at Budapest airport 23.25 so I will try and let you know how the queue is at that time, there are two flights scheduled to arrive in the hour before we arrive so hopefully the processing will have calmed down.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Our removals guys have been and gone. They arrived at 7am! Was expecting them at 10am!
Now waiting for pet transporter. Damn dog seems to be a bit distressed because there's no furniture here except his own stuff which the pet transporter are taking. He may have got a grass seed in his ear as we had to pull out quite a few. But as his heart seemed to be beating quite a bit I have assumed it's more distress than a grass seed!

Planned to get a taxi to a hotel for the night at 6pm but may text them to collect us earlier at 4pm. We both need a shower and I need a really cold beer.

The removal guys were from Serbia. They worked bloody hard! Impressed with them. Will see them on Friday. Atleast it gives us a day to recover and await Archie on Thursday! Yay.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Landed yesterday evening at Budapest airport about 23:30,
My wife had requested assistance due to a broken ankle so we sort of jumped the queue but other people from our plane who had walked to the customs area where already being processed.
The process was a bit slow taking, 3 - 5 mins for each person, so if you were the last person off the plane, and there were no other planes arriving at that time, you could be waiting about 30 mins. If you are quick of the plane, it may only be 15mins, which is about how long it took us.
Otherwise just a few question about your address and identity. Did not notice any obvious health check.

Hope you have a good trip today FinTiger.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecurb
Landed yesterday evening at Budapest airport about 23:30,
My wife had requested assistance due to a broken ankle so we sort of jumped the queue but other people from our plane who had walked to the customs area where already being processed.
The process was a bit slow taking, 3 - 5 mins for each person, so if you were the last person off the plane, and there were no other planes arriving at that time, you could be waiting about 30 mins. If you are quick of the plane, it may only be 15mins, which is about how long it took us.
Otherwise just a few question about your address and identity. Did not notice any obvious health check.

Hope you have a good trip today FinTiger.
Were you asked in Hungarian or English? Did they wear face masks? As to the address is this your residence address or where you are staying and with whom?
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

My wife is Hungarian so she did most of the talking but they seemed to speak a bit of English, if you do not bring your own interpreter.

The address was for where you are doing your quarantine. They did not require the UK address.
And they also need an email address and telephone number that they can contact you on during quarantine.

I suppose if you can justify the address, by saying it is a relative etc and you have permission, they are happy, if you just made up a random address, they would become suspicious.

If you have an Hungarian address card it would help, I think just so they can copy it onto their form, and it indicates you could probably quarantine there, but is not necessary (my partner had an address card but it was not the address we are using for quarantine, but that was not a problem).
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

oh, and they were not wearing face masks but were behind screens, and we did wear masks and they never asked us to take them off for ID. Which was a bit funny in a way.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

oh, and they were not wearing face masks but were behind screens, and we did wear masks and they never asked us to take them off for ID. Which was a bit funny in a way.
Thanks. Hugely relieved. My wife is Hungarian so she will have to act as my interpreter.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Yay, I'm here in Malyi. Approximate thirty minutes from getting off the plane and through border control. My Hungarian wife translated for me. We got the quarantine notice but it's in the sister-in-law's car! Eeekk! Hope the rendorseg do not turn up before it's brought back to us!

Our dog, Archie, is due to arrive at 1pm. The driver, Wendy, seems to have captured his heart! He slept on her bed the first night and made himself at home! Ha ha ha! To be honest he's going to be much happier here in Hungary at my mother-in-law's property because the garden is so much bigger and he can see everything happening along the street. On top he can bark to his heart's content!

Our household contents will arrive on Friday at 8am. If I haven't mentioned it already the removals guys are from Serbia. One speaks a little English. Both very good, hard working, careful and respectful. I think the capacity I booked was way over what we needed but we had to consider what would we do if we booked for a lower capacity and the two vans were full. That would have thrown a spanner in our exit plan and we'd be frantically hiring a van to dump the rest at a storage warehouse.

We were expecting the removal guys at 10am but they turned up at 7am just as I had got back from walking the dog. We were originally expecting the pet transporter to come in the morning but due to a change of plan for the driver to enter and exit Hungary on the same day this was moved to 1:30pm so the dog hd to be shut in the kitchen whilst the guys loaded their vans. It seemed to have cause our dog some distress and he started behaving oddly. The pet transporter has not mentioned if he is still behaving oddly so we have assumed he's calmed down. As at this point in time they are in Vienna or have just set off.

Now we've got to keep ourselves busy the next 14 days or go for a covid-19 test.

Lastly, the mother-in-law's house is feeling a bit empty because my father-in-law passed away mid-March, not coronavirus related. Once things have settled down the funeral can finally take place.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Üdvözöljük, (Hungarian letters may not have worked)
Good to hear all has gone smoothly. Enjoy your 14 days.
We are enquiring about the COVID-19 test to shorten the time but do not have the details of what is required yet
But our hosts have found doctor who has already done it once so she knows what is involved.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Üdvözöljük, (Hungarian letters may not have worked)
Good to hear all has gone smoothly. Enjoy your 14 days.
We are enquiring about the COVID-19 test to shorten the time but do not have the details of what is required yet
But our hosts have found doctor who has already done it once so she knows what is involved.
My understanding about the covid-19 test is the doctor visits where you are quarantining so you don't need to venture out. I'm quite keen to get the test so I can venture out, walk the dog, meet up with other members of the family and local friends.

Thanks everyone on this forum for all the advice you have given. It's been very helpful to ease our move here. Mother-in-law seems very happy we are here. When my wife had skyped her past two months she didn't look very happy, was struggling to get through the day but once she knew we were definitely on our way she has chirped up. Now we are here we can see she is struggling with every day issues so we're staying put here and buying a property is the last thing on our mind at the moment but we will still view properties so we can make a good judgement call on what's best for our long term, including if one of us dies before the other! Neither of us wants to be left with a property we weren't keen on and were just going along with it to please the other!
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Yay, I'm here in Malyi.
Done at last - well done
Welcome to your new home!
Peter
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Joetography is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news! Enjoy your new life
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes from here too!
We probably won't have my British family visiting this summer and don't even think about my wife's nephew who lives in Tennessee, they visited us several time sin the last years, but now?
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!! But please remember to leave the ukulele packed away when it arrives

I'm just at our weekend house near Eger. It's the first time we've stayed here this year, mainly due to the weather so I came today to clean up and my wife will arrive tomorrow. The garden is an absolute jungle but I've just watched the wild boar go past on the other side of the fence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.