Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies?

Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies?

Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies?

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A lot of the time, if the furniture is 30 -40 years old and the house is unoccupied (i.e. it was the parents or something) then the seller will usually be happy to leave the stuff because it will be impossible to sell and it will cost them to have it cleared. On the other hand if you declare an interest in some items then you will be amazed at how expensive it is !!

There are rules about what should be left e.g. plugs and light switches should be left and electric wires must not be left bare. In older houses there are not often fitted kitchens so don't expect much left there (and that includes the sink). It is best to get listed either in the contract of separately what will be left/taken but if it is not followed forget about claiming because the legal system is too cumbersome to cope and what goes for a small claims court isn't worth a light.
The point for us was that on "completion day" we still owed 90% of the purchase price, with all the terms & conditions stipulated in the contract. Only when we, by physical inspection, were completely satisfied did we pay the balance. None of this (from the lawyers) "sale completed"....followed by, "ooops, the place is in a state" & no recourse.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to disagree guys but I had my HU GF, her family (many of which were the builders), friends of the family (who were also builders) and a good property lawyer by my side. So I think there was enough preasure for the local owner not to rip us off. Hence why I say and recommend you have a Hungarian around you at all times in these situations. Stay with local builders because there is a certain reputation for the local builders to protect; especially in a place like Szeged.

Secondly, you have to trust someone some of the time. I will not automatically say Mr XYZ is bad or untrustworthy unless my own research and facts about them shows it to be true. I take people as I see them. If my instinct is they are a rip off, I usually know in seconds to leave them to scam someone else. I have seen and experienced through friends' bad encounters with bad builders, in London, to know how to read people. Plus the fact I always wear my "Nottingham Coat" when dealing with those type of people
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Szeged, You are confusing trust with the purpose of a contract. When you sign a contract you trust that the other party will adhere to the terms of that contract, with the benefit (in theory) that you have recourse in the event of a breach. The contract eliminates "I said, you said' situations. You don't sign a contract unless you believe (trust) that the other party will perform (unless you are a fool!).
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

I think not You have just stated what I said all along - Basically, regardless if the "agreed t&c statement" is on a law binding agreement paper or verbally; if the person is untrustworthy they will still sign the paper(s). Probably more so if they really need money. "Purpose of a contract" is nothing to do with it. It is always based on trust at the end of the day for humans.

You seem to imply that just because someone has signed a law binding paper stating they will agree to leave their furniture for you for example as part of the sale, where that person is then somehow more trustworthy. Yes, you can take them to court etc if all goes sour, as part of your "Purpose of a contract" theory, but that would take ages/years to finalise/materialise. Hence the need to use human judgement and base certain things on trust. In other words, anyone can rip you off.

One idea I would consider for the OP is why not try in some way to have the two split into separate contracts. I.e. Buy the property in the normal way (normal contract) and then make a second clause/separate contract stating something like "Once property is sold/bought, both parties will have a set date thereafter in which to decide whether or not to keep/buy the furniture...." whereby that second contract has not bearing/affect on the main contract. Just a though.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Szeged
I think not You have just stated what I said all along - Basically, regardless if the "agreed t&c statement" is on a law binding agreement paper or verbally; if the person is untrustworthy they will still sign the paper(s). Probably more so if they really need money. "Purpose of a contract" is nothing to do with it. It is always based on trust at the end of the day for humans.

You seem to imply that just because someone has signed a law binding paper stating they will agree to leave their furniture for you for example as part of the sale, where that person is then somehow more trustworthy. Yes, you can take them to court etc if all goes sour, as part of your "Purpose of a contract" theory, but that would take ages/years to finalise/materialise. Hence the need to use human judgement and base certain things on trust. In other words, anyone can rip you off.

One idea I would consider for the OP is why not try in some way to have the two split into separate contracts. I.e. Buy the property in the normal way (normal contract) and then make a second clause/separate contract stating something like "Once property is sold/bought, both parties will have a set date thereafter in which to decide whether or not to keep/buy the furniture...." whereby that second contract has not bearing/affect on the main contract. Just a though.
Why, unnecessary complication, we did it, successfully, in the one Contract. Although we had quite a tussle pre contract we trusted that the final, signed form would be adhered to - & it was.