Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Would you buy abroad again

Would you buy abroad again

Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you buy abroad again

Originally Posted by David Gardiner
I expect to have around 15 lakh profit after paying all CGT etc. What is to stop me doing any of the following?
1) exchange into sterling and just take it out with us (3 adults) If I can bring sterling in when I arrive surely I can take it out too?
2) purchase travelers cheques with rupee for sterling and exchange in the UK.
3) Post it say £500/letter

Or has any one else got a better idea?

I do have a bank account with Axis bank but I cannot use the ATM in the UK to
withdraw sterling.

Help!!!!!!
Hi, I would not go down the route of carrying a large amount of stg out of India, I know of one person (I have met him but he did not tell me about this) he was apparently stopped and searched and the money confiscated, he was taken before a local magistrate and fined. He thought this was the end of it but later found out that he may have to appear before a court in Mumbai and could be fined up to 50,000 rupees.
I have been wondering if I could write a cheque on my indian bank account and pay it to my amex account then ask for a refund in the UK. I might try it with a small amount.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

I expect to have around 15 lakh profit after paying all CGT etc. What is to stop me doing any of the following?
1) exchange into sterling and just take it out with us (3 adults) If I can bring sterling in when I arrive surely I can take it out too?
2) purchase travelers cheques with rupee for sterling and exchange in the UK.
3) Post it say £500/letter

Or has any one else got a better idea?

I do have a bank account with Axis bank but I cannot use the ATM in the UK to
withdraw sterling.

Help!!!!!!
You are allowed to take 'a reasonable amount' out in sterling - I have seen one website (Indian Customs???) where it says something to the effect that 'reasonable' means less than US$ 5,000 because that is what you can bring in without declaring it. Of course you may have to argue this at the airport.

I don't think that non-resident FN's/NRI/PIO's can buy foreign currency TC's for rupees (in fact I'm pretty sure they can't).
There are also very strict limits on the export of gold and jewelery.

As for post - you are joking?

This non export of profits is nothing new (if anything the situation has eased slightly) so everyone should have been well aware of it.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

We changed rupees into Sterling and took the equivalent of 5.000$ - it was about 3 and half thousand pounds each. We paid 1rp over the rate to get it changed into Sterling which we thought was pretty good.
We know someone who did a deal with 6 monthers here. The 6 monthers put Sterling into friends account in the UK and when they came over to Goa they were given the rupee equivalent. This all depends on what rate each will accept at the time as we all know it fluctuates but they sorted it out and were both satisfied with the deal.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

David Gardiner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emsirrah
We changed rupees into Sterling and took the equivalent of 5.000$ - it was about 3 and half thousand pounds each. We paid 1rp over the rate to get it changed into Sterling which we thought was pretty good.
We know someone who did a deal with 6 monthers here. The 6 monthers put Sterling into friends account in the UK and when they came over to Goa they were given the rupee equivalent. This all depends on what rate each will accept at the time as we all know it fluctuates but they sorted it out and were both satisfied with the deal.
Sounds like a good idea. are there any six monthers willing to do a deal with me around the end of October? I could offer a better rate in exchange for sterling paid into the UK. Winners all round!!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:10 am
C_W
Forum Regular

C_W is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a good idea. are there any six monthers willing to do a deal with me around the end of October? I could offer a better rate in exchange for sterling paid into the UK. Winners all round!!
David

I have some £, and need some Rupees!
I've sent you a Private Message!

C_W
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:08 pm
Sensible Member

GoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by noni

Would you buy abroad again?
Yes Noni, I would buy in Goa again and have recently done so (a 900 sqm plot in Candolim) which we will build our house on! We got a very good deal as there are an abundence of distressed and overlevereged developers / land speculators in Goa at the moment due to all the problems this forum has highlighted so well, and some are desperate to sell at even bargain basement prices.

I'm really not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way, please don't take it like that! Just spotting and taking advantage of opportunities as they arise.

I would also buy again for investment if the price and location was right. At the moment, considering buying land on the coast in Maharastra close to where the new airport is due to be built. V. cheap! Might even become the New Goa in time with the resultant price inflation!

Julia
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GoanPlaces
Yes Noni, I would buy in Goa again and have recently done so (a 900 sqm plot in Candolim) which we will build our house on! We got a very good deal as there are an abundence of distressed and overlevereged developers / land speculators in Goa at the moment due to all the problems this forum has highlighted so well, and some are desperate to sell at even bargain basement prices.

I'm really not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way, please don't take it like that! Just spotting and taking advantage of opportunities as they arise.

I would also buy again for investment if the price and location was right. At the moment, considering buying land on the coast in Maharastra close to where the new airport is due to be built. V. cheap! Might even become the New Goa in time with the resultant price inflation!

Julia
Well arn't you the lucky one dear
Go forth and multiply with your smug remarks.We don't, or should I say I don't need my nose rubbed in it by you or any one else.
There are people on here about to lose their life saving.
You are obviously very stupid or you have no tack or deplomacy at all I happen to think as your a women you couldn't possibly be this stupid or insensitive so I will take that you have come on here to gloat!!!Or have you really got the brains of a rocking horse?

Last edited by Goacrazy56; Sep 30th 2009 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:20 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Julia
Are you married to an Indian or PIO?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you married to an Indian or PIO?
Of course she is married to an Indian the smug little person how else could she buy not one large plot of land but even think of investing in another state just for the pure hell of it

Last edited by Goacrazy56; Sep 30th 2009 at 1:31 pm. Reason: Senored it for insults
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:42 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56
Of course she is married to an Indian the smug little person how else could she buy not one large plot of land but even think of investing in another state just for the pure hell of it
You don't know that GC, bless, she may be one of many who still believes all is well with Goa - and needs us to save her.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:55 pm
Sensible Member

GoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56
Well arn't you the lucky one dear
Go forth and multiply with your smug remarks.We don't, or should I say I don't need my nose rubbed in it by you or any one else.
There are people on here about to lose their life saving.
You are obviously very stupid or you have no tack or deplomacy at all I happen to think as your a women you couldn't possibly be this stupid or insensitive so I will take that you have come on here to gloat!!!Or have you really got the brains of a rocking horse?
Oh do grow up!

The original question was "Would you buy abroad again", not "have you got an axe to grind against people buying abroad"!! You obviously have a big samurai sword to grind!!

I came on here not to gloat (what on earth do I have to gloat about apart from considering in investing in property, which you also have done!) I have come to share my experiences with fellow BEs living in Goa as I am.

Hopefully not all here are as bitter and twisted, resentful of fellow human beings as you!!

Julia
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:59 pm
Sensible Member

You don't know that GC, bless, she may be one of many who still believes all is well with Goa - and needs us to save her.
Hi Noffi

No I don't think all is well with Goa, and god help me if you lot want to save me but really, is there ANY perfect country in the world? Is all well say in the UK, or Tongo, or Outer Mongolia for that matter? No. Wherever humans are there will be the problems of corruption, waste and pettiness caused by humans. Nothing against Goa in particular!! Nice whether here though apart from the last two days when it has rained solidly!!

Julia x
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

No sorry Noni but I am sure she is married to a POI. If I remember rightly she said so in a previous post some time ago. I think her husbands family are of Goan origin but I may have got my facts wrong.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

Hi Noffi

No I don't think all is well with Goa, and god help me if you lot want to save me but really, is there ANY perfect country in the world? Is all well say in the UK, or Tongo, or Outer Mongolia for that matter? No. Wherever humans are there will be the problems of corruption, waste and pettiness caused by humans. Nothing against Goa in particular!! Nice whether here though apart from the last two days when it has rained solidly!!

Julia x
Dear Julia,
The original question was aimed at those of us who have invested our hard earnt cash in Goa only to have it stolen because we are not married or related to anyone of Indian nationality. It was not aimed at those who are fortunate enough not to have the DoE or other official bodies out to take away what we have. No one on here needs to grow up, we have all had to do that over the last few years especially when facing the loss of our life savings. Some have even taken out 2nd mortgages to buy their dream and will go on paying long past retirement! Having someone come on and tell everybody that they have just brought a piece of land and are contemplating purchasing more, without a care in the world, is like a red rag to a bull.
Don't forget dear Julia you are not about to be hounded out of the country you wanted to make a home in. You are not like the majority of us on here, I believe you have the security of an Indian family behind you. Please try and understand how hurtful and spiteful YOUR comments appear when read by those of us that are facing a minging retirement with all our money gone and the prospect of the British winter. And if you think I am being spiteful then I suggest you read the Sunday Times report and see if that gives me reason to appear spiteful and resentful.
Best regards,
Daff
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:31 pm

Hi Noffi

Julia x
my name is Noni - not 'noffi haven't had a drink for weeks since the operation.
Hope Remy is taking this on board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.