Winterizing my house

Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

tush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Winterizing my house

We are hoping you expats will have advise on how to winterize our house.
We have been going to Goa for a good many years but the longest time has been a month and always had someone stay and look after the place but now we have retired we are going for 4 months (jan to apr) and the house will be empty any advise would be gratefully received especially regarding the boiler.
It's a Worcester junior combi

Last edited by tush; Oct 29th 2013 at 7:49 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winterizing my house

Originally Posted by tush
We are hoping you expats will have advise on how to winterize our house.
We have been going to Goa for a good many years but the longest time has been a month and always had someone stay and look after the place but now we have retired we are going for 4 months (jan to apr) and the house will be empty any advise would be gratefully received especially regarding the boiler.
It's a Worcester junior combi
Hi Tush,

First base is check with your insurance company on how long their un-occupancy clause is - but advise them anyway the dates you will be away, some policies are only 30 days or 60 day max without you having to drain the FULL system - very laborious with a combi.
We are fortunate our policy states as long as we have someone coming in regularly to check the house and leave the heating on very low we are covered - do you have a frost setting on the thermostat ?
If you have good neighbours give them a key for emergency purposes.
We also put new batteries in our thermostat and alarm system if your systems have them, remove keys from any windows and doors, leave timer lights on, lag and shut off any outside taps etc

Hope this of help

RofS
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Worcester Combi and we stay quite regularly for 3 months or so. What i do is check the pressure and make sure its at maximum on 2...just at the edge of red. Set the thermostat at 12c.There is an automatic frost setting included but this only comes in around 5C. 12 is fail safe mode.Empty the fridge and switch it off and leave the door open or ajar.thats about it and have some one come in at least once a week just to check the post etc.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys I will do as you advise. It's not as straight forward as you think going away for months at a time there is so much to think about.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys I will do as you advise. It's not as straight forward as you think going away for months at a time there is so much to think about.
You can also get a special frost stat fitted - ask your service engineer.
We had it done after ours froze up two years ago (-20C one night), lots of damage even though the neighbours spotted it, and no contents cover (30 days unoccupied rule, didn't even bother claiming they'd only have put the rates up for a 'non-claim incident').

hth AndyD 8-)
Old Oct 31st 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

Tush,

It may be worth looking at SORNing your car for road tax saving as well as suspending your motor insurance if it/they are on a drive or in a
garage - depends on when your MOT expires.

Another saving may be made by contacting and suspending your broadband service provider

Cut down on junk mail by contacting regular senders to remove you from their postal data base, also local free papers ?

Let your bank know if you are taking your credit/debit cards with you as they sometimes STOP "suspicious" transactions in foreign countries

Yes lots to think about - good luck it is strange being away for such a long time especially your first time

RofS
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks rofs good suggestions hoping to leave car on private grounds out of sight so can follow the tax tip.
Will check condensing pipe etc if you can think of anything else please let us know
Thanks tush
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Return of Santan
Tush,

It may be worth looking at SORNing your car for road tax saving
but if you have an economical car you can't do that (low tax anyway)
as well as suspending your motor insurance if it/they are on a drive or in a
garage -
afaik it only works for third party cover - otherwise you lose you continuity for no-claims (all the insurers I've asked anyway)
depends on when your MOT expires.

Another saving may be made by contacting and suspending your broadband service provider
again, all the ones I've dealt with would cancel but not suspend

Cut down on junk mail by contacting regular senders to remove you from their postal data base, also local free papers ?
or consider having your mail forwarded to a friend or relative in the UK

Let your bank know if you are taking your credit/debit cards with you as they sometimes STOP "suspicious" transactions in foreign countries
Yes, Nationwide used to assure me that they never did this - NOW they have an option on their website to tell them - debit and credit cards

Yes lots to think about - good luck it is strange being away for such a long time especially your first time

RofS
If you've got a garden consider having your hedges and lawns done (only needs a couple of times in the winter) this makes the place look less unlived-in.
Buy a couple of those sound sensitive lights (better than a timer with fixed on/off times).
If you garage your car get one of those intelligent battery chargers (e.g. OptiMate)
Grease all your tools.

hth AndyD 8-)₹
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Tina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by a_f_d
but if you have an economical car you can't do that (low tax anyway)afaik it only works for third party cover - otherwise you lose you continuity for no-claims (all the insurers I've asked anyway) again, all the ones I've dealt with would cancel but not suspend or consider having your mail forwarded to a friend or relative in the UK Yes, Nationwide used to assure me that they never did this - NOW they have an option on their website to tell them - debit and credit cards

If you've got a garden consider having your hedges and lawns done (only needs a couple of times in the winter) this makes the place look less unlived-in.
Buy a couple of those sound sensitive lights (better than a timer with fixed on/off times).
If you garage your car get one of those intelligent battery chargers (e.g. OptiMate)
Grease all your tools.

hth AndyD 8-)₹

You are very organised, Andy.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tina1
You are very organised, Andy.
Tell that to OH - she's the one who organises me <g>

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 1st 2013, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=a_f_d;10971056]but if you have an economical car you can't do that (low tax anyway)afaik it only works for third party cover - otherwise you lose you continuity for no-claims (all the insurers I've asked anyway) again, all the ones I've dealt with would cancel but not suspend or consider having your mail forwarded to a friend or relative in the UK Yes, Nationwide used to assure me that they never did this - NOW they have an option on their website to tell them - debit and credit cards

Grease all your tools.

I must say Andy I have taken exception to the way you have broken down section by section my advice to tush with regards to their original question, I feel like a naughty schoolboy who has had their homework marked ! So very rude of you

As far as my reply to tush I have experienced ALL that my reply gave
oh yes something I forgot to add - I worked for the Prudential for many years !

RofS
Old Nov 1st 2013, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Believe me rofs and everyone who has responded to my thread I am very grateful for all you advise, both me and my oh have been looking forward to three months away for many years and now the time has come we can't wait but when you start to think about what you need to do to cover for your absence it all becomes a wee bit scary there is so much to think about, so once again thanks everyone and please keep the advise coming