British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   Visa no entry unless 2 month gap even to PIO's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/visa-no-entry-unless-2-month-gap-even-pios-646541/)

Banyan Dec 29th 2009 8:30 am

Visa no entry unless 2 month gap even to PIO's

Hi All,

At the visa office in London today. NEW visas being stamped, no entry within 2 months of each entry. Even to PIO's.

Not good news for the Goan tourist trade at all!

Sunglow.

wheatsheaf Dec 29th 2009 9:05 am

Re: Visa no entry unless 2 month gap even to PIO's

Originally Posted by Sunglow (Post 8204510)
Hi All,

At the visa office in London today. NEW visas being stamped, no entry within 2 months of each entry. Even to PIO's.

Not good news for the Goan tourist trade at all!

Sunglow.

what would the PIO status be useful for then?

Banyan Dec 29th 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 8204601)

I do not know at all.

It appears that the Indians are being firm, not taking any risks. They are sticking to their guns in what's been stated in the Indian press, there has to be a two month gap in each entry.

Sunglow.

Mrs Brinks Matt Dec 29th 2009 10:36 am

It's about time everyone stopped going there anyway,it's an absolute dump.
I feel sorry for those who are trapped in the property fiasco but for those who are not...tell Goa to poke it!!!!! :thumbdown:

Remy-Ireland Dec 29th 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 8204601)

AFAIK the two month break applies to tourist visas only......however even if it applies to pio card it doesn't make any difference as in this case it applies only on departing India therefore you can stay in India on a pio card beyond the 182 days as usual as long as you register as per terms of the card. PIO card holders dont apply for visas so i don't understand how it would apply to them. There are persons of indian origin however who have long term visas and not a PIO Card in this instance they will fall foul of the new changes.

oktata Dec 29th 2009 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland (Post 8204947)
AFAIK the two month break applies to tourist visas only......however even if it applies to pio card it doesn't make any difference as in this case it applies only on departing India therefore you can stay in India on a pio card beyond the 182 days as usual as long as you register as per terms of the card. PIO card holders dont apply for visas so i don't understand how it would apply to them. There are persons of indian origin however who have long term visas and not a PIO Card in this instance they will fall foul of the new changes.

What you are saying makes sense Remy. Wife (Indian Citizen) and me are visiting India soon and though we dont plan to stay more than a month without leaving India, I didn't think this affects PIO's/OCI's.

The OCI card I have actually allows me to stay as long as I want without being required to register after 182 days or ever for that matter. So hypothetically if I was living in India long term and had to travel internationally regularly (lets say as part of my work with an Indian company) this restriction would affect my work and therefore defeat the intended purpose of the OCI/PIO being treated at par with NRI /Indian citizens for all (economic) matters . The only exceptions are not being able to buy agricultural land or work/stand for government(office).
Sunglow do you have more details on this or perhaps a source where you read this - if this restriction does exist then my guess is that PIO's have been included inadvertently ..

noni Dec 29th 2009 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by oktata (Post 8205039)
What you are saying makes sense Remy. Wife (Indian Citizen) and me are visiting India soon and though we dont plan to stay more than a month without leaving India, I didn't think this affects PIO's/OCI's.

The OCI card I have actually allows me to stay as long as I want without being required to register after 182 days or ever for that matter. So hypothetically if I was living in India long term and had to travel internationally regularly (lets say as part of my work with an Indian company) this restriction would affect my work and therefore defeat the intended purpose of the OCI/PIO being treated at par with NRI /Indian citizens for all (economic) matters . The only exceptions are not being able to buy agricultural land or work/stand for government(office).
Sunglow do you have more details on this or perhaps a source where you read this - if this restriction does exist then my guess is that PIO's have been included inadvertently ..

Just had email from a friend who went home for Christmas, should be returning in January - they went to HCI with their return ticket and have been refused entry into India until they have been out of the Country for
two months.

avocadogreen Dec 29th 2009 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sunglow (Post 8204510)
Hi All,

I doubt that this anecdote actually applies to people with PIO cards. If a person has an actual PIO card, he or she doesn't need to get a visa. On the other hand, if someone is a "person of Indian origin" but doesn't have an actual PIO card, then he or she is just another foreign tourist as far as the Govt of India is concerned and will be covered by the same rules as any other tourist, regardless of ancestry.

a_f_d Dec 29th 2009 9:13 pm

Exactly, except that PIO's are entitled to 1 - 5yr 'X' visas, and the 2mth embargo is only supposed to apply to [long term] Tourist visas!

AndyD 8-)#

SuckSeed Dec 30th 2009 2:20 am

Originally Posted by noni (Post 8205175)

Just had email from a friend who went home for Christmas, should be returning in January - they went to HCI with their return ticket and have been refused entry into India until they have been out of the Country for
two months.

Hi Noni

Was your friend applying for a new visa.

I have a one year visa which expires in July, I shall be returning to Goa 8th Jan. I will have by then spent 21 days in the UK. I am assuming that this will not affect my entry as my visa has already been issued.

johnny five Dec 30th 2009 5:07 am

Sorry, but assume nothing.

These are idiocies enforced by the ignorant........

noni Dec 30th 2009 5:21 am

Sorry SS they have been to HCI have multiple entry, up to date and cannot return for two months - how many people will turn up at the airport not having heard of this new rule?

noni Dec 30th 2009 5:23 am

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 8206628)
Sorry, but assume nothing.

These are idiocies enforced by the ignorant........

J5 know that your rose tinted glasses are in Candolim sea, but you are right, some may get in, BUT This is what I have been informed from friends, is it worth the hassel? Am totally confused and p................ off.
How long will we have next year? 90 days or 6 months. they are shooting themselves in the foot.:wub:

Banyan Dec 30th 2009 5:38 am

Originally Posted by noni (Post 8206663)
Sorry SS they have been to HCI have multiple entry, up to date and cannot return for two months - how many people will turn up at the airport not having heard of this new rule?

Hello Everyone,

A family I know, went to London to renew their visas yesterday. They was told that because they had only just recently returned from India a gap of 2 month MUST be allowed before they can re-enter.

This is for a NEW visa application and may not be applicable to current visa holders.

This family are in the process of arranging new flights.

Sunglow.

emsirrah Dec 30th 2009 6:04 am

Misread your posting J5 - thought you said these are for idiots forced by the the ignorant.:o

Now in Oz and as far away from la la land as possible - wondering why we ever live in Goa except for each time we reach into our pocket but seriously thinking we can do without all that shite :thumbsup: It's only money and we can't take it with us.

Happy New Year to all and will wave :thumbsup: to you all from our our cruiser from under the bridge on the stroke of midnight. Have been up to Sydney Harbour Bridge today and everything is underway for Midnight - no fireworks from a bottle here.:eek:

The reason I wrote - we are supposed to be back in Goa 10 days before our 2 month ban is up but nothing was stamped in our passport on leaving. Get your visa and then book you flight is what we have done -
Anybody want to buy an almost new washing machine, water filter et al because we will not be using them again!!!