Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Traffic Accident in Colva Area

Traffic Accident in Colva Area

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

chlodah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traffic Accident in Colva Area

Hi everyone whilst I was visiting Goa in February of this year unfortunately I was involved in quite a bad traffic accident just outside of Colva. I was hospitalised and underwent an operation - now I am desperately trying to obtain documents/evidence that the accident actually took place, in order to provide details to my insurance company.

It is proving very difficult trying to locate the police report from the local authority - they attended the hospital more than once so this must be documented. Being a frequent visitor to Goa I am well aware that nothing is straight forward, but was just wondering if any kind souls out there would know any insights as to how I may obtain any information relating to my accident. Thank you
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice
Default Re: Traffic Accident in Colva Area

I know it can be really difficult and normally needs to be done while you are still there. Is there any way the hospital could provide documentation regarding the injuries and how they might have been caused? Often the Police are not forthcoming with these reports. Or it may take several determined visits to obtain them. You may want to think about getting an Advocate to act for you and liaise with the Police? A suggestion. In terms of insurance it is usually helpful to be in touch with them before getting treatment and getting their consent to the expenses first but I do understand this may have been impossible in certain situations ( i.e. if you were unconscious at the time of getting initial treatment). Not sure if you are back home now or still in Goa.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Hello, thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes I am back in the UK now and making a good recovery.
I have written to the police but as expected, they have not replied.

Yes unfortunately I was not in a position to speak to my insurers - and I needed quite an urgent operation so it went ahead.

Thanks again for your response
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

I am very sorry to hear of your problems and really hope you get the result. This puts me off going to Goa now. I have been many times but the interest just keeps waning all the time. i go elsewhere now. Problems can occur anywhere but I have always found most things Indian lacking in standardization. That was quirky, exciting and interesting when I was younger. Now I find it a little annoying and actually fills me with a degree of fear.

All the best to you and hope you get the best result possible.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vagatorsunset
I am very sorry to hear of your problems and really hope you get the result. This puts me off going to Goa now. I have been many times but the interest just keeps waning all the time. i go elsewhere now. Problems can occur anywhere but I have always found most things Indian lacking in standardization. That was quirky, exciting and interesting when I was younger. Now I find it a little annoying and actually fills me with a degree of fear.

All the best to you and hope you get the best result possible.
Travel in general far easier than it used to be. Comfortable long distance buses, more train routes, domestic flights relatively less expensive for the 'better off'.

Unfortunately with increased road travel comes increased road accidents.
I believe the rules have changed and those helping/present at an accident are no longer forced to give their details to the police, this helps encourage road side assistance but means that the police may lose out on information about those to blame for the accident.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

To get a report from the police, you'll have to pay.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 10:05 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
To get a report from the police, you'll have to pay.
But they take credit cards - literally!

OK. Just joking guys!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone and thanks for the comments. I thought I would post a progress update for those of you interested! Amazingly the local police station responded to a letter I sent, providing me with numerous documents which supported my accident. I sent a very courteous letter explaining the situation I was in, and a couple of weeks later I was very surprised to see an envelope sitting on my doormat with an Indian postmark!

In addition to this the hospital in which I was treated was also very forthcoming and sent me numerous medical documents which supported my case. And the best thing about this - No money asked for or exchanged!!

I have recently returned to work and also plan to revisit Goa in order to thank the many people who helped me. It is still one of the most beautiful countries I have visited and despite the accident it hasn't deterred me from going.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chlodah
Hi everyone and thanks for the comments. I thought I would post a progress update for those of you interested! Amazingly the local police station responded to a letter I sent, providing me with numerous documents which supported my accident. I sent a very courteous letter explaining the situation I was in, and a couple of weeks later I was very surprised to see an envelope sitting on my doormat with an Indian postmark!

In addition to this the hospital in which I was treated was also very forthcoming and sent me numerous medical documents which supported my case. And the best thing about this - No money asked for or exchanged!!

I have recently returned to work and also plan to revisit Goa in order to thank the many people who helped me. It is still one of the most beautiful countries I have visited and despite the accident it hasn't deterred me from going.
So pleased that you have recovered and are back at work and thank you so much for posting an update.
Yes India is a beautiful country -- far south Goa (and beyond) is still relatively free from the tourist crush of north Goa--and safer roads!!
Old Sep 18th 2015, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Very pleased to hear this update. Good to know you are well and that the authorities co-operated.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

Good news, and good luck.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

That is a positive result, very glad for you specifically. But it is also heartening overall, the more positive news coming out of Goa the better for everyone right now.