Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

business in goa...bar/restuarant

business in goa...bar/restuarant

Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

dmax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default business in goa...bar/restuarant

i would like to go to goa and open bar resturaunt..anyone know of any good sites/agents etc...i have 55.000 uk puonds to invest....any info would be very helpfull....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: business in goa...bar/restuarant

Originally Posted by dmax
i would like to go to goa and open bar resturaunt..anyone know of any good sites/agents etc...i have 55.000 uk puonds to invest....any info would be very helpfull....
Best advice i can offer is....Dont do it!
Businesses,Property,Visas etc are all being investigated in Goa at present. At this moment in time i would advise you to keep your money in your pocket until things become clearer. If you are a PIO/NRI it might be ok but if you are an FN then be very cautious!

Regards oh and Welcome to the Forum,
Remy
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Best advice i can offer is....Dont do it!
Businesses,Property,Visas etc are all being investigated in Goa at present. At this moment in time i would advise you to keep your money in your pocket until things become clearer. If you are a PIO/NRI it might be ok but if you are an FN then be very cautious!

Regards oh and Welcome to the Forum,
Remy
... I would add don't do it unless you are a Goan.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice
Cool Re: business in goa...bar/restuarant

In racing parlance 'best left'.
This is probably the worst moment in the history of the World to be contemplating this move.
I'm a born optomist,but the situation here at present is so anti what you are considering, that even a blind person would detect the writing on the wall.
Either wait and see or look elsewhere,your £55k. will be welcome in lots of other delightful places.

Happy Hunting
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:13 am
HBN
Just Joined

HBN is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never been to Goa but I believe, it is a cheap place with not exactly a good reputation. 'Cheap' as in negative! Why not do something where INGO staff, UN bimbos, embassy staff comes to dine. Just an example: an Italian lady in Kathmandu runs the "Fire & Ice' pizzeria (not cheap by local standards), the food is good and the place is packed no matter what the season. She opened a second restaurant in Kolkata.

I am not saying to go to Nepal but avoid mixing beach emotions and Wagnerian sunsets with a profitable business. And for heaven's sake stay away from cheap tourists and a mafia. I can already see the vultures cruising...
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by a_f_d
... I would add don't do it unless you are a Goan.

AndyD 8-)#
Actually Andy, as a PIO I fully agree with your statement.
Goa for the Goans seems to be the chant.........and theminister has said that they want people to come and see 'beautiful' Goa and then leave......otherwise they want our money and once its done we have to P*** Off.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: business in goa...bar/restuarant

ok thanks guys......but ive just sold home in uk...i need to get away for a few yrs at least....had previously a bar in thailand but that lost money /not too much!! i was wondering about somewhere else...any suggestions?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

ok thanks guys......but ive just sold home in uk...i need to get away for a few yrs at least....had previously a bar in thailand but that lost money /not too much!! i was wondering about somewhere else...any suggestions?
pretty much anywhere you go a small (say less than US $500,000) business in which you invest your capital plus 70 - 100 hours a week of your time will return somewhere around 10% pa on your capital (your time comes free).**
So £55K might get you £500 a month before tax if you are very very lucky.

** trust me, I just sold one! AndyD 8-)#
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

sometimes i made 300 gbp in my bar in one night...anyway thats not the issue...the issue is its going to burn a hole in my pocket so i need to get away somewhere where illenjoy it and live a lttle good life for few yrs...so any suggestions?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

camelo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
50.000 pounds,that will buy you a appratment and business in north east brasil,better life mate,hassle free,brasilian consulate on web site,or gringoes.com.no middle man or rip off,like i said before,all can be done from england through the brasilian consulate,that a suggestion,i´m living my it at full.and good luck to you mate,and to all who are struggling in goa,you need big luck.all best to you all.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:24 am
Just Joined

thanks for that.....but ive looked in2 brazil..bahia beach -bar resuraunt and other busiess...seems lot of dodgy lawyers in brazil...even more so than anywhere else..im not a gambler so i need a safe investment..brazil looks good ,nice woman and cheap...are flights not very expensive? also i believe its difficult 2 obtain business visa...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

camelo is an unknown quantity at this point

flihts are bit expensive,but depend on the season,air france,tap and other airlines are doing good deals, other thing,you looked just at bahia,they are a lot of nice places than bahia,they are fortaleza,ariaol dájuda,natal, and to finish my suggestion,my advice is better to come and look at yourself,you´ll have better idea,good luck mate.wish you all best.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

lauralovesgoa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dmax,

me and my partner are also looking to set up a business in Goa by the next high season. i know various people in goa who think it is a good idea - also my family in India think it is a good idea - i myself am part Indian (although i dont look it) and my boyfriend is white as white can be. We have a local partner and are hoing to make contact with a solicitor who is a family friend and will haopfully make it all happen. there is a lot of bad press in Goa at the moment and people are saying now is a bad time but i am also hearing now is a great time. i can't tell you either way, just, we have decided to take the risk and hope it pays off. If you want to keep me updated in what you are doing feel free to pm me, it would be great if we could swap stories.

i know there are already Brots who own restaurants in Goa, it seems to be ok as long as you dont open up a beach shack - these seem to be Goans only and they will give you trouble if you encroach upon this.

There probably are better places to open up a business but i love Goa and this is making us take the rishk (if there is a risk). let me know how you get on with visas etc. this is where the problem seems to be as if you are not NRO, PIO or resident you may have to leave the country every 180 days - although i know a lady who owns a childrens charity over there and doesnt have to do this.

Good luck!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

[hi,,,,thanx 4 ur message...yeah i will definately keep u updated as i think it really is a good idea to swap stories and ideas etc...maybe we can help each other in some way.wot type of business would do well? is 50,000 uk pounds sufficient to open a nice bar or restraunt? ....good luck

dmax
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

lauralovesgoa is an unknown quantity at this point

it depends where in Goa you want to open it - also, there is a lot of red tape to get around and you will probably have to leave the country every 180 days to get around visa situation and hope they keep renewing it but there are definitely British owned bars/restaurants over there.

£50,000 wont get you much in the way of a restaurant in Calangute/Baga/Candolim but if you look elsewhere you may find something. i suggest you keep you eye on www.99acres.com - has lots of commercial places for rent there - thats what i'm looking at to find a flat to rent!

Keep me posted!

you will need a trustworthy lawyer by the way to set things up for you.