Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

A slight increase in visa fees

A slight increase in visa fees

Old Sep 1st 2013, 11:35 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A slight increase in visa fees

Welcome back Heidigirl.

Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:41 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Cool Re: A slight increase in visa fees

Originally Posted by Heidigirl
Hello all, been a long time since I've been on here!

Can anyone advise on banking? With regards to having money in BOI. I will PM the details.

Any advice would be great thanks.

Hx
Have you had notification (email or letter) that your BoI account has been "frozen"?

With Axis, the RBI have allegedly said that the accounts can remain "frozen" until a customer is next in India & then the customer can visit the branch with copies of passport, visa & address proof to close the account & withdraw the funds - if you are actually going to visit India this is probably the better option rather than repatriation with the exchange rate as it currently is.

There's no reason why the above should not apply to BoI also but who knows. . . . . . . .
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

I have an NRO account at BoI. I've heard nothing from them about freezing accounts.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Heidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by hemingway
Have you had notification (email or letter) that your BoI account has been "frozen"?

With Axis, the RBI have allegedly said that the accounts can remain "frozen" until a customer is next in India & then the customer can visit the branch with copies of passport, visa & address proof to close the account & withdraw the funds - if you are actually going to visit India this is probably the better option rather than repatriation with the exchange rate as it currently is.

There's no reason why the above should not apply to BoI also but who knows. . . . . . . .
No notification but father having trouble getting sterling out for when he comes over to UK. They stay there all year around.

Hx
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Heidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by hemingway

No notification but father having trouble getting sterling out for when he comes over to UK. They stay there all year around.

Hx
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Mum and dad came over in August to apply for new visa..... received 1 year TV back after 4 days.
Originally Posted by Heidigirl

Hx
If Mum & Dad have property (own/ lease) they should be on X visas - then they would have Residential Permits and could open Resident bank accounts which allow remittance of money out of India.
See this thread for a discussion of NRO accounts - basically it has always been the case that after 6 months money cannot be remitted from an NRO account without permission from RBI.

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Slight increase ? Holy moly.... £82.00 for tourist visa being UK citizen. I already booked up I think I paid £30 odd quid 3 years back. Wow it is almost racist.

Why are the Indian Government doing this in 2013 ?

Must be politically motivated. Pay back for colonial rule ?

Maybe they just do not want British tourists ?

Last edited by Vagatorsunset; Nov 17th 2013 at 6:09 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vagatorsunset
Slight increase ? Holy moly.... £82.00 for tourist visa being UK citizen. I already booked up I think I paid £30 odd quid 3 years back. Wow it is almost racist.

Why are the Indian Government doing this in 2013 ?

Must be politically motivated. Pay back for colonial rule ?

Maybe they just do not want British tourists ?
The fee increase means that a visa for British tourists to go to India now matches the cost of a UK visa for Indian tourists to travel to UK.
Could it be 'tit for tat'?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

So nice that the general population pay for governmental gripes. Going to India for me is always a double edged sword as it is being honest.
It gives a lot but it is also as dangerous a place as you can get with the traffic, corruption and potential of getting ill etc. I like it but not these aspects. Well no choice now of course once booked up to visit but it may well be the absolute last time at those visa rates.

I thought it might be related to extra security checks against Brits whose parents are Pakistani/Bangladeshi. Obviously there would be a disproportionate no. originating from the UK, the world being what it is today.

Anyway hardly attractive... I would have thought the benefits of tourism in India would warrant a lower fee. Maybe new markets and influx from elsewhere in the world for holidays in cold winters mean they can essentially do whatever they fancy.

Last edited by Vagatorsunset; Nov 18th 2013 at 9:41 am.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vagatorsunset
So nice that the general population pay for governmental gripes. Going to India for me is always a double edged sword as it is being honest.
It gives a lot but it is also as dangerous a place as you can get with the traffic, corruption and potential of getting ill etc. I like it but not these aspects. Well no choice now of course once booked up to visit but it may well be the absolute last time at those visa rates.

I thought it might be related to extra security checks against Brits whose parents are Pakistani/Bangladeshi. Obviously there would be a disproportionate no. originating from the UK, the world being what it is today.

Anyway hardly attractive... I would have thought the benefits of tourism in India would warrant a lower fee. Maybe new markets and influx from elsewhere in the world for holidays in cold winters mean they can essentially do whatever they fancy.
Russians and others who get visas on arrival seem to pay much less but their visas are for around 3 weeks, we can get a visa for 6 months. I don't think they want British holiday makers now that they can get lots of visitors from ex communist block countries or they would give cheaper visas on arrival as an alternative for British holiday makers also. Of course I don't think there is anything like such a high number of Pakistani/Bangladeshi living in ex communist block countries as there is in the UK which seems to be one of the Indian governments concerns. The visa form asks if your grandparents were Pakistani/Bangladeshi.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k800mer
Russians and others who get visas on arrival seem to pay much less but their visas are for around 3 weeks, we can get a visa for 6 months. I don't think they want British holiday makers now that they can get lots of visitors from ex communist block countries or they would give cheaper visas on arrival as an alternative for British holiday makers also. Of course I don't think there is anything like such a high number of Pakistani/Bangladeshi living in ex communist block countries as there is in the UK which seems to be one of the Indian governments concerns. The visa form asks if your grandparents were Pakistani/Bangladeshi.
I think the questions regarding Pakistani origin applies to all countries. Certainly to USA where there are also a large number of Pakistani origin citizens and from USA a 10 year tourist visa is possible.

I think reciprocity with UK demands is more likely.
The cost of a visitor visa for Indian tourists to UK has always been high and the application is extremely difficult even though now the personal interview has been dropped and sponsorship letter no longer has to be signed by a notary. Still income and tax details have to be declared and so many other details.
Have a look at the application form, pages of it !!!
May be visa on arrival for the British would solve the problem.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bipat
I think the questions regarding Pakistani origin applies to all countries. Certainly to USA where there are also a large number of Pakistani origin citizens and from USA a 10 year tourist visa is possible.

I think reciprocity with UK demands is more likely.
The cost of a visitor visa for Indian tourists to UK has always been high and the application is extremely difficult even though now the personal interview has been dropped and sponsorship letter no longer has to be signed by a notary. Still income and tax details have to be declared and so many other details.
Have a look at the application form, pages of it !!!
May be visa on arrival for the British would solve the problem.
I would not dispute that it is much harder for an Indian to get a tourist visa for the UK but if we were able to compare the numbers of British citizens going to India on a tourist visa and staying there with the number of Indians who have arrived in the UK on tourist visas that stay here I would like to bet that there are far more 'overstaying' Indians in the UK than 'overstaying' British in India. As it is I would have no real problem disclosing my income and investments if I needed to in order to be able to spend time in India.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by k800mer
I would not dispute that it is much harder for an Indian to get a tourist visa for the UK but if we were able to compare the numbers of British citizens going to India on a tourist visa and staying there with the number of Indians who have arrived in the UK on tourist visas that stay here I would like to bet that there are far more 'overstaying' Indians in the UK than 'overstaying' British in India. As it is I would have no real problem disclosing my income and investments if I needed to in order to be able to spend time in India.
Agree with you, but the discussion was mainly about the cost of a visa to India which all are complaining about. This has now increased to roughly equal the cost of a visa to UK.

As I said the restrictions for example to and from USA are less. ( USA also has problems with illegal immigrants.)

Maybe now UK has not implemented the proposed bond scheme the cost of Indian visas may possibly be reduced.

Last edited by Bipat; Nov 20th 2013 at 1:58 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

er folks - check this out if you haven't seen it before.

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a_f_d
er folks - check this out if you haven't seen it before.

AndyD 8-)
Had seen this on IM, but "Intends to" Have they done it yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.