Safety in Goa

Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

zloty777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Safety in Goa

Hello,
I am new here so hope i post it in right place. I was in there in 2006 with my wife as tourists. We fell in love with Goa. I would like to find out if it is safe in Goa. Day to day living I mean. Not as the tourists. We would like to go there for long holiday like 3-4 months. Renting flat ideally with walking distance to the beach. Is it ok to walk on the beach after sunset with 4 years old child? What about theft, burglary, etc? Do I need to worry about staff in my house I will live in? Or I will have to sleep with all my belongings under the bed ?
Many thanks
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

steveandpauline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Safety in Goa

Originally Posted by zloty777
Hello,
I am new here so hope i post it in right place. I was in there in 2006 with my wife as tourists. We fell in love with Goa. I would like to find out if it is safe in Goa. Day to day living I mean. Not as the tourists. We would like to go there for long holiday like 3-4 months. Renting flat ideally with walking distance to the beach. Is it ok to walk on the beach after sunset with 4 years old child? What about theft, burglary, etc? Do I need to worry about staff in my house I will live in? Or I will have to sleep with all my belongings under the bed ?
Many thanks
unfortunately, as with most places, crime IS on the increase. wife had bag snatched off shoulder 3 years ago. that's why we've never returned. police didn't want to know. they said obviously outsiders. locals obviously don't do wrong? they said if we want claim form for insurance, we would have to state in writing that we lost it. bloody corruption everywhere. he brought out a folder (I kid you not!) at least 10 inches thick full of one sheet statements made by people like us that had been robbed. he said that folder was for just margao area and it was that season's...........
as for walking on beach with 4 year old....no problem. they will steal your belongings but will not attack persons. in fact, I would go so far as saying of all the places I have travelled in the world, goa is the place I feel safest.
if leaving valuables behind where your staying, try and find a safe.
enjoy goa.....
Old Sep 6th 2014, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Safety in Goa

Hello,
Many thanks
Great idea but you will be treated like tourists whether you like it or not which means a certain amount of hassle depending where you go. It is safe to walk along the beach so don't worry about that but keep your important belongings in a safe if you can or rent a deposit box from a local bank. Petty theft is on the rise and it is almost impossible to do anything about it but as long as you are as careful as you might be in a big city anywhere in the world you will be fine. Don't carry expensive items and certainly avoid wearing gold jewellery. Just be sensible about your own personal security and you wont have any problems.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your tips. All i need now is to find best way to move there with respect to local law. I do not want leave Goa every 6 months for another 2 as this is not what i want. Many thanks again.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your tips. All i need now is to find best way to move there with respect to local law. I do not want leave Goa every 6 months for another 2 as this is not what i want. Many thanks again.
It is Central Government law as regards visas. Unless you are of Indian origin you will only get a 6 months tourist visa initially. After renting some time you may get a year (I have heard). Others will advise.
The two months out no longer applies.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Good to know! Thanks Bipat. This is my dream, Goa.