Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Popular eat outs in Goa...

Popular eat outs in Goa...

Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Popular eat outs in Goa...

Originally Posted by dauchery
Is the meat in India as untrustworthy as I have heard? If so then I'm going to be getting my protein from tins of Tuna everyday
Why, what have you heard?
... and who told you the tuna was OK?

Andyd 8-)
Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:40 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Why, what have you heard?
... and who told you the tuna was OK?

Andyd 8-)
John West?

Old Aug 20th 2012, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Andy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

thks for all he suggestions
Old Aug 20th 2012, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Andy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the suggestions
Old Aug 24th 2012, 11:38 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Is the meat in India as untrustworthy as I have heard? If so then I'm going to be getting my protein from tins of Tuna everyday
Hey Dauchery - where's your sense of adventure ??.....

As usual it depends on the place you eat - hence this thread and the other one entitled 'Good restaurants in Goa' where people recommend from personal experience of eating in these places.
There is also a thread here on naming a number of eating places to avoid because of lack of hygeine, people being ill after eating, being ripped off etc etc - so have a read and make sure to avoid those places.
(yup J5, DaveM and Andy - I agree combine the two to one thread !!)

To be honest Dauchery, I have only ever had stomach illness once in all the times spent in Goa - and that was after eating MUSHROOMS - one to be aware of if the mushrooms keep being taken in and out of a fridge according to the doctor I saw as this allows a rather nasty bug to get into them.

Although I have noticed that most of my friends who drink a lot of the Kings brand beer tend to get the thru'penny bits a lot of the time - but this seems to clear if they change to Kingfisher beer for some unexplained reason!

Dread - x
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hey Dauchery - where's your sense of adventure ??.....

As usual it depends on the place you eat - hence this thread and the other one entitled 'Good restaurants in Goa' where people recommend from personal experience of eating in these places.
There is also a thread here on naming a number of eating places to avoid because of lack of hygeine, people being ill after eating, being ripped off etc etc - so have a read and make sure to avoid those places.
(yup J5, DaveM and Andy - I agree combine the two to one thread !!)

To be honest Dauchery, I have only ever had stomach illness once in all the times spent in Goa - and that was after eating MUSHROOMS - one to be aware of if the mushrooms keep being taken in and out of a fridge according to the doctor I saw as this allows a rather nasty bug to get into them.

Although I have noticed that most of my friends who drink a lot of the Kings brand beer tend to get the thru'penny bits a lot of the time - but this seems to clear if they change to Kingfisher beer for some unexplained reason!

Dread - x
And dont eat fish if there has been a power cut over 6 hours. I had to learn the hard way with The Dysentery Diet caught at Laxmans next to Britos.Swines..!
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Agree about mushrooms, years ago daughter had a terrible time after I foolishly allowed her to have mushrooms on toast at a small corner cafe.
The other thing is salads, OH will never eat uncooked food in any restaurant (even in UK) and admonishes me if I do. If by small chance the food handler is a carrier of amoebic dysentery or hepatitis A, even a minute amount of faecal contamination and you could be in real trouble.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:25 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
And dont eat fish if there has been a power cut over 6 hours. I had to learn the hard way with The Dysentery Diet caught at Laxmans next to Britos.Swines..!
Ouch that sounds nasty PJ !!

Ever since I was once really ill after eating fish when I was a kid I won;t eat anything that comes from the sea now - even heave at the smell of it - yup I have to clamp my nose going past Calangut or Mapusa stinky fish markets

Dread - x
Old Aug 25th 2012, 7:27 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using the Diesel Diet in the UK.......

Fill the van with diesel and there's no money left for food.

Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Just stay away from Rs. 50 for chicken and chips local places that some people on here like to frequent, and you should be fine.

You can only bring so much tuna with you anyway, besides there is abundant fresh seafood in Goa. A can of tuna will probably set you back Rs 150. The same as a chicken entree in a clean, popular eatery.

If you want to cook for yourself, you can get fresh chicken, it's killed right when you buy it, so it doesn't sit around. It will taste better than the shrink wrapped stuff you get back home.

Btw, check your PMs.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:25 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Popular eat outs in Goa...

Originally Posted by johnny five
I'm using the Diesel Diet in the UK.......

Fill the van with diesel and there's no money left for food.
tell me about it - 2 cans of petrol for my mower cost me £14.00 the other day no wonder the chicken wings at under £2.00 for a big tub look like such good value - especially when my private mileage at work cost me just shy of £200.00 last month

Cost of living increases far outstripping salary increases.

H.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:42 pm
Banned

You can only bring so much tuna with you anyway, besides there is abundant fresh seafood in Goa. A can of tuna will probably set you back Rs 150. The same as a chicken entree in a clean, popular eatery.
Er, no.
Tinned tuna (tinned as we British say, canned being an Americanism) is freely available in Goa at a fraction of the price you quote. Some is locally produced and some is imported. Still expensive compared with fresh fish but convenient and easy to store. The proliferation of supermarkets has created this situation.

If you want to cook for yourself, you can get fresh chicken, it's killed right when you buy it, so it doesn't sit around. It will taste better than the shrink wrapped stuff you get back home.
Really? Has anyone else on here selected a live chicken (or cockerel more likely) for slaughter in the last ten years? Or have you gone to your local branch of Royal Foods (other franchises are available) and bought your chicken products in clean modern hygenic conditions?

This whole thing feels more Walmart than Asda

Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Er, no.
Tinned tuna (tinned as we British say, canned being an Americanism) is freely available in Goa at a fraction of the price you quote. Some is locally produced and some is imported. Still expensive compared with fresh fish but convenient and easy to store. The proliferation of supermarkets has created this situation.

Like how much? For what size? I am talking about a full size, not the tiny ones. I haven't bought tuna in Goa to be honest, but the last time I bought some was in Pune about 4 years ago, and the price was Rs. 120. I would assume it would have gone up by now.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:08 pm
Banned

I haven't bought tuna in Goa to be honest,
Have you bought chicken there?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Have you bought chicken there?

How much was the tuna you bought? What size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.